Why become a member? ×

Line 6 M5

sk8

I've just ordered one of these from FXpedals.co.uk

As i was after a chorus and phaser anyhoo.

Details about the M5 can be found [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/line-6-m5-stompbox-modeler---in-stock-now---free-delivery-1541-p.asp"]here[/url] its basically the effects of the M9/M13 with a tuner but you can only use one effect at a time.

FXPedals are doing a group buy deal [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129863&st=0&#entry1185644"]here[/url] for basschatters

Anyone also interested?

I can, I quite like the idea of a small effects pedal which is anything I want it to be without it being a huge, complicated multi-fx unit. The only thing I'd be worried about is the quick switching between effects. Still, I've been after a DL4 for a while and am wondering which of the 2 to get now.

[quote name='deej' post='1186170' date='Apr 2 2011, 08:28 PM']Does it still have the loop function? I love my M9 for giving me options around my core pedals, so i reckon this could be a useful little pedal.

Whats the general price of it?[/quote]
SK8 is correct - there is no looper. We're running a special Basschat offer and, the more people who take it up, the cheaper it will be. See [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129863"]here[/url]. Depending on how many people take up the offer it will cost you anything from £149.99 to £164.99 including free UK delivery.

Gareth, re: the DL4/M5 dilemma, if you need a looper, get the DL4. Otherwise the M5 would appear to be a better bet as it has all the delay models from the DL4 plus all the other non-delay effects at a lower price and in a smaller footprint.

I can't beleive you've got these in stock already - I'm sure I read a Line 6 rep on a Talkbass thread only a few days ago confirming the rumour of it's existence but unable to give out any details. Plus it's not even listed on their website yet!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1186534' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:55 AM']I can't beleive you've got these in stock already - I'm sure I read a Line 6 rep on a Talkbass thread only a few days ago confirming the rumour of it's existence but unable to give out any details. Plus it's not even listed on their website yet![/quote]They were a bit of a surprise to us too when they turned up! We weren't expecting them to ship until the end of April. But we've got 'em! :) SK8's is already on its way to him.

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='1186520' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:34 AM']Gareth, re: the DL4/M5 dilemma, if you need a looper, get the DL4. Otherwise the M5 would appear to be a better bet as it has all the delay models from the DL4 plus all the other non-delay effects at a lower price and in a smaller footprint.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, it seems like the ultimate answer to the age old "Which stomp box shall I get to go with my other pedals?" questions. And the M5 is cheaper oddly. And the offer expires on my birthday too which seems fortuitous.

Is it possible to change the position of effects, as in Octaver next to Chorus?
This would be my only concern in whether you need to tap 25 times to get to another effect of your choice within a couple of seconds.

I currently have an M9 but have no use for some of the features such as the looper so this may suit my needs.

i rarely use a chain off effects so this is going to be great if its lives up to epectations. I play in church and everynow and again i want to use an effect but it would mean taking my board with me. With this i get a tuner plus any effect i choos at the time in a small package.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1190971' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:18 PM']Yeah, let us know about the switching between effects, how many you can save and how quick you can go between them. I've got some stuff on e-bay to make room on the pedal board and am pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these at the weekend.[/quote]There are 24 preset locations to which you can save any type of effect in any order. You can set the unit up to either change patch as you press the up or down footswitch (i.e. if you're using preset number 1 and want to go to preset number 3, you will press the down button twice but, as you pass through it, preset 2 will play momentarily), or you can set it up so you scroll through the presets with the up and down footswitch, but the sound doesn't change to the new preset until you press both footswitches together. That would allow you to go from preset 1 to, for example, preset 12 without any of the other presets in between 'sounding'. I hope that makes sense! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Richard

Well it arrived today, I asked for 1st class post upgrade which was a bargain at £1.

If you've seen the M9 or M13 you'll be familiar with the setup and layout of the controls here, although the 2 footswitches are different in function. The left switch turns the effect on and off, although unlike the M9/13, the display still shows the selected effect and settings instead of simply showing that it's bypassed. Makes sense, the lights above the switches don't change colour to show you which category of effect you're in so there's no need to turn the effect on to see whether you're about to kick on a beatiful reverb for that nice quiet section or a maxed out fuzz. A nice touch which shows Line 6 have put some thought into this instead of simply taking a saw to their surplus stock of M9's.

The right switch provides the incredibly useful 'tap' function for time based effects and activates the tuner when held down. Both switches together brings up the presets menu. There are 24 slots, all of which come pre-loaded with a selection of effects and all of which are overwritable. The left and right switches then turn into up and down selectors and another click of both activates the highlighted effect which is both named and numbered. No matter which preset you're in, if you play around and find a sound you like and want to save, simply hold down the model select switch and you're given the option of which number slot you want to save it to, as well as the ability to rename it to something more useful. No point having a tube screamer saved under a slot called '63 Spring'. Re-naming is a bit of a pain as there's a lot of characters which aren't really useful and one knob to scroll through them all so be prepared for a lot of twiddling until you're set up with the selection of effects in the order you need them. I also couldn't find a way of moving, say effect slot 18 to slot 6 without selecting slot 18 then re-saving it in slot 6 and having to rename that slot, so think about grouping your most used effects together from the word go.

As for the sounds themselves, the 4 switch Line 6 pedals (and Verbzilla) have been around for long enough for most people to have a good idea about what this pedal can provide. I was expecting to pretty much ignore the distortions and filters as I already have a nice distortion (a modded Rat) and am not a fan of filters but was able to find some useful settings in both in the form of octave fuzzes, some surprisingly useful compressors, wahs and pitch glide. It has to be said, there was quite a lot of garbage in both those categories and some effects in the others where I wondered what the difference would be between that effect and the one next to it in a real world situation, but it's nice to have the choice available.

As for gripes, the knobs don't seem hugely sturdy, though they're protected by a bar which should stop them being accidentally trodden on by all but the clumsiest of musician. Odd, as the rest of the unit seems very well built and like it would last a long time if treated well. The pedal also sits on 4 rubber feet which prevents easy velcro mounting to a pedalboard which is what I was intending to do. I can understand the larger units needing this as they're almost designed to replace your whole board and can be thrown straight on the floor and used but for something like the M5, whose role I always saw as a unit to complement your existing pedals on your board, it seems like an un-neccesary hassle to modify either pedal or board or carry the M5 around separately to avoid it rattling around loose and risking damaging it. An large oversight in my opinion, especially as I assume removing the feet and therefore screws to the backplate would invalidate your warranty.

Other brief points of mention:-
Stereo in/out
1 expression pedal input
No looper (something I could care less about)
True bypass option
Takes standard 9v barrel connection, centre negative, like all your other pedals so no need for an extra power connector, although it does come with one

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1200914' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:22 PM']The pedal also sits on 4 rubber feet which prevents easy velcro mounting to a pedalboard which is what I was intending to do.[/quote]Hi Gareth, there is a screw in the middle of each of the rubber feet. Simply unscrew each one, remove the rubber foot, put the screw back in and, hey presto, easy mounting onto your pedalboard! It's actually been designed that way to give you the choice of using it either as a standalone unit or mounting on a board. :)

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='1201725' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:09 PM']Hi Gareth, there is a screw in the middle of each of the rubber feet. Simply unscrew each one, remove the rubber foot, put the screw back in and, hey presto, easy mounting onto your pedalboard! It's actually been designed that way to give you the choice of using it either as a standalone unit or mounting on a board. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I threw caution to the wind and undid the screws and it turns out that they're only small and go back in without any problems if the feet aren't there. I don't think it's mentioned in the manual so I hope this helps someone.

Practice at 4 so I get to test it out in a band context later.

• 3 months later...