Why become a member? ×

gibson grabber

umph

[quote name='umph' post='136197' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:10 AM']mij copy? ;p[/quote]
Yep - like this one:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120219987488"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120219987488[/url]

In fact, it [i]is[/i] that one - I listed it on EvilBay about 6 minutes before reading this thread...

J.

Grabbers are cool - but so are G3s (thats the 3 pickup grabber) and Rippers

These 3 had the same body shape, but the [url="http://www.gibsonbass.com/grabber.php"]Grabber[/url] and [url="http://www.gibsonbass.com/grabberG3.php"]G3[/url] are more Fenderish in that they have a bolt-on neck, whilst the [url="http://www.gibsonbass.com/ripper.php"]Ripper[/url] sticks to Gibsons tradional set-neck.

A lot of people have their favourites - I like the mellowness (and bassiness) of a Ripper, but a lot of people like the 'snap' of the Grabber and G3. All great basses though and well worth checking out.

£600 is a fair price, if it has a case - though I reckon if you watch ebay for a while you'll get one for less. Would you import from the states? you'll certainly get one cheaper there - as long as you don't overpay on postage (no more than $120 with case)

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='136975' date='Feb 9 2008, 06:34 AM']Hi, I am looking for something slightly different and might be tempted as I wanted a Ripper or Grabber when I was a 14 year old schoolboy earning a pound a week doing a paper round so they were a little out of my league at the time !!

What price are you looking to get for it ??

Regards

Tony[/quote]
Hi Tony - I really had no fixed sum in mind, the auction was 99p no reserve - so there was always the chance I'd be really unlucky!

It seems some crazy mad foo' has bid it up to £100 already, I'm hopeful of it getting as much again considering there's still 8 days to run.

Offers over £200 seem reasonable? :)

J.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='137349' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:30 PM']That is truly gorgeous - who needs a Gibson?[/quote]
It is - and in all honesty, apart from the Gibson logos on the headstock, neckplate & pickup on the real deal, you'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart.

J.

Anyone have an Epiphone Ripper? the [u]new one[/u] with the PJ config pickups. Any decent reviews anywhere? Harmony central seems to have older spec ones only. I'm guessing being all maple it's quite bright and snappy sounding.

[quote name='Tee' post='138014' date='Feb 11 2008, 10:27 AM']Anyone have an Epiphone Ripper? the [u]new one[/u] with the PJ config pickups. Any decent reviews anywhere? Harmony central seems to have older spec ones only. I'm guessing being all maple it's quite bright and snappy sounding.[/quote]
Never seen one in the flesh - and I've looked. Pity they copped out & put Fender type pups on it.
J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='138125' date='Feb 11 2008, 01:02 PM']Never seen one in the flesh - and I've looked. Pity they copped out & put Fender type pups on it.
J.[/quote]

The PJs do look wrong - perhaps some judicious routing and a couple of SD ripper pups might make things a bit more normal looking? But for the cost+effort+time you might as well source out a Gibson on eBay.

[quote name='neepheid' post='138128' date='Feb 11 2008, 01:10 PM']The PJs do look wrong - perhaps some judicious routing and a couple of SD ripper pups might make things a bit more normal looking? But for the cost+effort+time you might as well source out a Gibson on eBay.[/quote]

I saw one, played it (but not plugged in), at the big guitar show (Music Live?) at the NEC last year.

It looked well built, apart from (my pet hate) the strings didn't pass over the pole pieces opf the pickups...

The P/J arrangement looked daft as well, what's the point? Have some historical accuracy Epiphone.

I thought of buying it (about £240 I think) and routing the body for a MM or soapbar pickup.

Then getting a custom scratchplate made, fitting new pots, jack, wiring, shielding etc etc.

By which time it would have been a pretty expensive bass. :)

I have two grabbers.
My first is a 1975. Was origionally a wine colour but is now a scracthy reddy brown. Beat up but I love the way it plays. Use it live. that was £500. I bought that about 4 years ago? Took me a long time to find.
My second is a 1975 blonde/natural. tip top condition. Beautifully set up. Lovely action and only two minor cosmetic blemishes. used for recording and a spare on tour.
I got that with the origional fitted case (their weird shape doesnt fit into standard cases) for £700 of a lovley chap who imports grabbers and rippers and sells them on. So i'd say between depending on condtion £500 to £800.

OR you could import one from the states. Pretty sure they're more common and cheaper there.

I've played fenders in the past but I will use these two for the rest of my days. I just love the way they sound and play. And theyre suprisingly very lightweight which is a god send for playing live.

Maybe I should rethink my bargain price of £375 that mine (Grabber) is going for in the for sale section here - except not a lot of responses when I had it at £400 and what I have seen going on ebay have all been in this region. I do now have interest in it by the way from someone who has been involved in this thread.