Why become a member? ×

Castors & Cabs

BassDad

Hi guy's looking for some advice here hopefuly.

My lad Alex (Bassboy115) has just got the Hartke 4.5XL cab. Great sounding cab no worries there, however as everyone knows it weighs a ton :huh: My question is, if I fit castors to the base how will it affect the sound of the cab. I'm thinking of some low 50mm dia. Would it be ok to leave them on or should I fit removable type. If removeable are prefferential is there enough space inside the cab to accept the obligatory spiggot which I presume would be present with removable castors, without coming into contact with the speakers or any wiring?

Sorry just noticed more than one question :)

Any help/advice greatfully received.

Frank

They have got to be the right kind of heavy duty cabinet castors.

They will reduce coupling with the floor and that may be a good thing as some of us have spent £50 on a Gramma Pad to do that.

They may induce instability in the cab if they are not all level (four wheels on the floor). This is a bad thing because the cab can move in the opposite direction to the speakers (Newtons First Law).

If you are worried stick the castors on the side. That way you can wheel it in then turn onto the proper feet for use.

[quote name='richy316' post='136037' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:20 PM']either that orrrrrrrr........... make yourself a little trolley out of MDF and attach some castors to that then you wont ruin the precious cab![/quote]

Did that, now the little trolley is just another thing I have to find space for in the back of my estate car, and his gear is getting more and more. Can't wait for him to be old enough to drive, i can then just turn up and watch the show instead of being chief roadie and bottle washer........no just joking I love every minute of it :)

[quote name='BassDad' post='136049' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:33 PM']Did that, now the little trolley is just another thing I have to find space for in the back of my estate car, and his gear is getting more and more. Can't wait for him to be old enough to drive, i can then just turn up and watch the show instead of being chief roadie and bottle washer........no just joking I love every minute of it :)[/quote]Hi Frank, I should have remembered that I have 2 sets of castors that were ready to put on the cabs. :huh:

I used to have a Mesa 1516BE cab (there is one for sale here at the mo) which was colossal and had castors so it was moveable. The effect of taking the Castors on or off was minimal compared to the differences in surface. I had removed them for a big gig on a wooden blocked stage but it was a little boomy. With the wheels on the can it really didn't make a lot of difference.

[quote name='BassDad' post='136021' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:56 PM']Hi guy's looking for some advice here hopefuly.

My lad Alex (Bassboy115) has just got the Hartke 4.5XL cab. Great sounding cab no worries there, however as everyone knows it weighs a ton :huh: My question is, if I fit castors to the base how will it affect the sound of the cab. I'm thinking of some low 50mm dia. Would it be ok to leave them on or should I fit removable type. If removeable are prefferential is there enough space inside the cab to accept the obligatory spiggot which I presume would be present with removable castors, without coming into contact with the speakers or any wiring?

Sorry just noticed more than one question :)

Any help/advice greatfully received.

Frank[/quote]
You can get heavy duty rubber wheels that have brakes on them. Usually used on a cab as two with brakes and two without so any sloping/eneven stages won't see your cab wheeling itself off the stage. Sometimes it does help to have a cabinet raised off the stage floor IF the stage itself is a crap one and reverberates bass frequencies. Sure I've seen wheels for sale in Homebase megastores or maybe try Studiospares or the like.

[quote name='lee4' post='136043' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:26 PM']I put castors on my Peavey 1x15 to save my back.It has'nt improved or degraded my sound at all.[/quote]
+1. I've had castors on my last couple of 4x10s and it's not changed the sound I don't think. But boy does it make loading in and out much easier.

I've put castors on my Ohm GA140 as it weighs a ton and it's made no diffference to the sound but is so much easier to move around. I have a box that I keep all the odds-n-sods in - cables, fx, strap etc, that sits on top nicely and makes it all a lot easier to shift gear. They've developed a squeak though much to everyone elses ammusement!