Why become a member? ×

Replacing a cabs speaker for weight issues??

Jamesemt

Am I right in assuming that the bulk of the weight with cabs is the speakers?

If so, what's to stop me replacing my current speaker with a lightweight neo speaker?

I've currently got a Peavey 1x15 which needs to SERIOUSLY go on a diet. I've seen speakers on ebay for around £100.

Is it worth doing? Just trying to avoid the inevitable Markbass finance option :)

The magnets on the back of the speakers are a massive part of the weight of the cab, but so is the wood used. I think those peavey cabs use 3/4" Chipboard or MDF.

I don't know about replacing the spekaer, I guess it would be ok, provided the inernal capacity of the cab is big enough to cope with the new speaker.

I'm sure AlexClabber will be along in no time to provide a proper answer !

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136717' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:19 PM']If it is a black widow it it likely to be on the heavy side because they have higher power handling. There is more to light weight cabs than neo speakers i'm afraid.[/quote]
There is no direct relationship between driver weight and power handling. Weight is mainly a matter of how large the magnet is. Drivers with large magnets tend to have high power handling mainly because large magnets are expensive, so they're found on expensive drivers, and expensive drivers tend to have higher power ratings because few customers would buy them if they didn't. The main factors that determine a driver's power handling are the voice coil and suspension.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136923' date='Feb 9 2008, 12:00 AM']and EBS and Genz Benz and EA. There are lots of lightweight options.[/quote]

Yes that is true - but are any as light as the markbass 2x10 traveler? Plus, the oher problem is that very few stores stock the gear (anywhere in Yorkshire I should look?).

Was hoping to get two cabs for about £800 (ie two Markbass 2x10 travelers)

Many are going to be lighter than the MB210 traveller (epi UL112, EBS Neo 112, Genz Neox 112T) and I suspect they will all sound better. I think the MB cabs are not as good as the heads which is why so many MB users only have the heads and some sellers only stock the heads.

AS for trying in Yorkshire I think you are gonna have to travel but I dont know what the state of retail is up there.