Why become a member? ×

Bringing a Bass Guitar back on a BA flight

slazman

Anyone out there had any recent experience of bringing a Bass back into the UK from the USA on a BA flight?

I called BA Customer Relations and the responder referred me to their website that states:

[i]Hand baggage
You may take a musical instrument on board as hand baggage as long as the item is guitar sized or smaller.
When travelling from or via the UK, a musical instrument is permitted on board as an additional free piece of hand baggage. When travelling into the UK it is considered part of your hand baggage allowance.[/i]

I asked if a bass guitar qualified ... unfortunately this was one question too far!

I read the advice as 'Yes' but, being a glass half full person expect some hassles await me in Philadelphia.

BTW bought the Bass - a G&L USA L2000 off TalkBass ... fortunately I have a friend over in Philadelphia - can't wait to get my hands on it and bring it home in March -

I don't if this helps, but using BA to and from Austria I had to put it in hold. Even with my guitarist's guitar, they insisted we put it in the hold when flying back from Austria, even though we told them what we saw on the website. Just use a Hiscox case mate and it should be fine.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='137191' date='Feb 9 2008, 06:01 PM']I don't if this helps, but using BA to and from Austria I had to put it in hold. Even with my guitarist's guitar, they insisted we put it in the hold when flying back from Austria, even though we told them what we saw on the website. Just use a Hiscox case mate and it should be fine.[/quote]

That's what I thought ... it has the original hard shell case so should be OK

slazman, I do a lot of travelling on planes, and my advice would be to put it in the hold. You've said you've got the original case, which I assume is a rectangular case. The hassle you'll go through trying to find space in the overhead compartment will be unbelievable, as most travellers these days like to carry as much onto a plane as possible, meaning there's very little room available for larger items. Unless you can be sure of being one of the first people onto the plane, I'd say you won't get it into the overheads.

If you pack the bass right in the case, it should be reasonably safe. What I tend to do is pack a lot of clothing around the bass to stop it from moving in the case - underwear, socks and t-shirts work perfectly, as you can pack the bass in very tight. And make sure the neck is well supported. On top of this, if your friend in the US can find a cardboad packing box to put the case into, that's even better. Finally, when you check the bass in, get it put into oversize packages, don't let it go on the luggage belt with all the other luggage.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='137293' date='Feb 9 2008, 08:33 PM']If you pack the bass right in the case, it should be reasonably safe. What I tend to do is pack a lot of clothing around the bass to stop it from moving in the case - underwear, socks and t-shirts work perfectly, as you can pack the bass in very tight. And make sure the neck is well supported. On top of this, if your friend in the US can find a cardboad packing box to put the case into, that's even better. Finally, when you check the bass in, get it put into oversize packages, don't let it go on the luggage belt with all the other luggage.[/quote]

Really good advice thanks. The bass was delievered in a cardboard case with additional packaging so I will use that.

Only slight issue is that US Immigration tend to open up cases to check contents - especially those with any electrical type stuff in them. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Everyone has been really helpful ... so glad I posted the question.

Edited by slazman

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='137297' date='Feb 9 2008, 08:39 PM']If you're putting a bass in the luggage, should you slacken off (i.e. de-tune) the strings?[/quote]

That was traditionally the belief, but recently I've read a lot of stuff on the internet saying this is actually a bad thing to do. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure which is correct, so I just stick to what I've always done - I detune the bass by a few notes, so to D or C, just to take a bit of pressure off the neck. That's always worked for me. When I've sent a bass to a buyer in another country, I do that as well, and I've never had any complaints.

[quote name='slazman' post='137446' date='Feb 10 2008, 07:42 AM']Really good advice thanks. The bass was delievered in a cardboard case with additional packaging so I will use that.[/quote]

That would be perfect, although (leads onto next comment :) )......

[quote name='slazman' post='137446' date='Feb 10 2008, 07:42 AM']Only slight issue is that US Immigration tend to open up cases to check contents - especially those with any electrical type stuff in them. Shouldn't be a problem though.[/quote]

This is actually true, and I've had the chance to see first hand what the US customs people are willing to do. A friend of mine here in Lisbon brought a bass back from the US, and put it into the hold. He'd locked the case, so they simply broke the lock, and attached a sticker to the case saying that under US law, they were entitled to do this! When I wrote my post above, I forgot about this, so maybe packing quite as comprehensively as I suggested might end up being pointless. Still, pack it well in the case, and maybe put the case into the cardboard box without any additional packing inside the cardboard box, and they might simply repack it as you had it.

I recently bought 2 basses back via international flights and had both brought on the plane as hand luggage, one by myself on an American Airlines flight - the other by a colleague on a British Airways flight. They were both in hard cases as well, not gig bags.

Neither of those flights were first class or anything and in both cases it was a breeze, no problems at all. Be nice and courteous to the boarding staff and cabin crew and all seems to go well. This was in Dec 2007 by the way so not long ago or anything.

I know that contradicts the experience others have related here. maybe I was lucky? But that would be my suggestion.

J

I always detune my bas a couple of steps, not completeley slackened though (as this can result in the truss pulling the neck in a backbow) however if you don;t your strings can snap.

I agree with all the advice about packing it well and tightly, but also stick in a couple of sachets of Silica Gel, the stuff that comes with most electrical appliances, i f you ask in a music/electrical shop they are bound to have some lying around. This absorbs moisture which can result form all the atmospheric changes etc, basically stops your bass getting damp

I flew back direct from Phoenix Skyharbor, Arizona to London Heathrow with BA, and they were absolutely terrific. Going through customs Stateside, I attracted only amused glances and a few questions from staff, including an "Oh, I love Paul McCartney" ! When I got on the place, the staff ushered me to First Class (I was obviously travelling cattle class!) and put the bass (in a hard case) in the coat cupboard. 9 hours later as I exited it was waiting for me by the door. Fantastic, easy service from BA, despite the idiots on the phone not having a clue what to suggest to me before I went to the airport.

Good luck!

[quote name='Mike' post='137978' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:33 AM']I flew back direct from Phoenix Skyharbor, Arizona to London Heathrow with BA, and they were absolutely terrific. Going through customs Stateside, I attracted only amused glances and a few questions from staff, including an "Oh, I love Paul McCartney" ![/quote]

Presumably if said member of staff had loved Heather Mills instead, your bass would be on its way to the bottom of the Atlantic by now... :)

[quote name='Mike' post='137978' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:33 AM']I flew back direct from Phoenix Skyharbor, Arizona to London Heathrow with BA, and they were absolutely terrific. Going through customs Stateside, I attracted only amused glances and a few questions from staff, including an "Oh, I love Paul McCartney" ! When I got on the place, the staff ushered me to First Class (I was obviously travelling cattle class!) and put the bass (in a hard case) in the coat cupboard. 9 hours later as I exited it was waiting for me by the door. Fantastic, easy service from BA, despite the idiots on the phone not having a clue what to suggest to me before I went to the airport.

Good luck![/quote]

Interesting ... my original plan was to go to Phoenix as my Daughter lives there. Generally I have found airline staff more accomodatingthere than Philadelphia whic is where I am coming from this time. Oh well ... I must learn a few Beatles songs then and hope forthe best, but this is encouraging.