Why become a member? ×

Advice from Ashdown users

JohnSlade07

I've recently bought an Ashdown Evo II Bass Magnifier head. Having used it on a couple of gigs I'm having trouble getting a sound that I like. Typically it sounded great in the shop but played with a full band (not an especially noisy one by any means) it seems to lack any definition and to be really boomy. I realise it's not supposed to be a hi-fi sounding amp but surely there must be a happy medium. Are there any tips you could suggest to get a more defined/less boomy sound?

Much appreciated.

Hi John

Try these settings:

input = 3 o'clock

low bass = 10 o'clock

Bass = 2 o'clock

Mid = 5 o'clock

high mid = 2 o'clock

treble = 1 o'clock

sub harmonics = 9 o'clock

Also, make sure you have the deep, bright, eq and sub buttons pressed in.

That should give you a reasonable starting point, but trial and error of course with the variables of your bass, its output, the acoustics of the room, placement of the cabs etc. If it's too boomy then roll off the low bass a bit and raise the mids.

Hamster

John - what cabs are you using it with and what sort of room are you playing in? Cabs and type of room play an important part in how your sound fits in a band situation.

For every new amp I buy, I always start off at everything completely neutral and assess the changes of bass, midrange, and treble. I eventually find general settings I like and then it's a case of tweaking depending on venue.

OK, keep all controls at 12 o' clock (flat), keep the 'flat' button in (ie flat!), keep the valve grind 'off', keep the 'subharmonic' off and work from there.

My ABM500 sounds really defined, and I rarely use the EQ on the amp at all (bar the valve grind, which is lovely), I just drive it from the bass's EQ...

Thanks for the advice guys. I shall start experimenting! I think part of the problem is that I dial in a sound that sounds great at home and then try using it with a full band playing to a 150 people in a room with rubbish acoustics. Still I guess it takes time to get used to a new piece of equipment.

It's always the same - a great solo sound rarely fits into a band. It's sometimes the case that a bad solo sound somehow just works in the full mix..

I pretty much do what David Nimrod does - my EQ is basically flat, but I boost high mids / treble about half way to full with my StingRay and leave it flat for the Jazz.

Yup the EQ stays flat (but on) on mine with my jazz bass, bridge pickup and tone up full and dial in the neck pickup as required, 'Grind' on about 10 o'clock. Thats all in gig situations, it doesn't get used at home, have a practice amp for that.

In fact it stays same settings for my active bass's, bar the 'pad' button, and use the basses to EQ out any flaws.

Si

[quote name='Hamster' post='137303' date='Feb 9 2008, 08:52 PM']Hi John

Try these settings:

input = 3 o'clock

low bass = 10 o'clock

Bass = 2 o'clock

Mid = 5 o'clock

high mid = 2 o'clock

treble = 1 o'clock

sub harmonics = 9 o'clock

Also, make sure you have the deep, bright, eq and sub buttons pressed in.

That should give you a reasonable starting point, but trial and error of course with the variables of your bass, its output, the acoustics of the room, placement of the cabs etc. If it's too boomy then roll off the low bass a bit and raise the mids.

Hamster[/quote]

MB1. :)
And if this doesnt work carefully unscrew the back of the amp and extract the chinese assembly worker! :huh: