Why become a member? ×

Valve driven 750w bass stack !?!

Jonny Walker

I play in a metal band using an Ampeg SVT 3 pro 4x10 rig and i fancy an upgrade to 750 watts;

Ive been looking at the Messa Big Block 750 and their Powerhouse 1000 cab(sorry for all the posts) mainly because as it has very good reviews, but I'm sure their are other options available out there.

I don't mind spending £3,000 on a rig thats gonna last me.

If you have any recommendations of a good solid 750w valve rig or if you have owned one please leave some advice.

Thanks,

Jonny.

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='137354' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:43 PM']It's a hybrid with a valve pre-amp.. no valve power section, so do you want hybrid, ss or all valve recommendations?

I suggest you do more research bro.[/quote]

thats what I'm trying to do... i dont know much about amps but i need a better rig as were playing bigger venues and mines getting worn.

[quote name='Buzz' post='137366' date='Feb 9 2008, 11:02 PM']Ask DHA (check the other sub-forums)

He might be able to source a bigger power section for his new amps, granted they're hybrid, but it's a more valvey hybrid.[/quote]

Tru i havent thought of asking dave yet... i have also just learnt that the mesa doesnt have an i/p pad so i might be a trouble with my active bass.

If you're set on lots of headroom and a tubey tone, and you want to spend a bit less than Mesa money, you could do a lot worse than look at the Warwick Tubepath heads. 500w or 1000w, and they have a switchable second-stage tube similar to Mesa's Simul-state function.

I have one, and it's marvellous... and it was less that 500 quid second-hand.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='137372' date='Feb 9 2008, 11:09 PM']If you're set on lots of headroom and a tubey tone, and you want to spend a bit less than Mesa money, you could do a lot worse than look at the Warwick Tubepath heads. 500w or 1000w, and they have a switchable second-stage tube similar to Mesa's Simul-state function.

I have one, and it's marvellous... and it was less that 500 quid second-hand.[/quote]

Thanks very much! I'll have a look.

If you're looking for high powered valve amps you could do worse than a Trace V8 - if you can find one. Officially they're 400w, but I know Oxblood recently set up and tested his VA350 and found it knocked out over 450w - [i]before clipping.[/i] An extra pair of KT88s should be knocking out some serious wattage, especially if you push it into distortion.

If that's not enough, how about a [url="http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html"]Clean Electronics CDA 1000[/url]?

I feel I've got to point out that you probably won't notice the difference in volume just by doubling the wattage though.

EDIT: I've just noticed you're using a single cab(?) - adding another will shift significantly more air, as well as getting the full 450w from the amp (assuming it's an 8 ohm cab). In terms of volume you'd probably be better of with another cab or 8x10. There's a sticky on this (I think) as well as one on apparent volumes of valve and solid state amps.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='137388' date='Feb 9 2008, 11:49 PM']Hi Jonny,

I would consider going Pre/Power setup maybe, crown K9 power and Sansamp RB1. That could suit you band well, otherwise get yourself a mesa 400 or maybe the Ampeg SVT-5/6 Pro. James Leech of Sikth always had a great sound with his setup.

Robbie.[/quote]

very true, thanks

[quote name='Buzz' post='137366' date='Feb 9 2008, 11:02 PM']Ask DHA (check the other sub-forums)

He might be able to source a bigger power section for his new amps, granted they're hybrid, but it's a more valvey hybrid.[/quote]

Hi,

There are a few ways to do this.

We do a VTX-400-Bass that has a valve pre-amp and low wattage valve power section to generate the real valve pre-amp and output distortion of an all valve amp. We then feed the signal taken after the valve power section as it drives a dummy load into a 420W Class D solid state power section. So the super clean SS amp just amplifies the valve sound a bit like a PA.

We have plans for a 750W version of the above which will be called the VTX-750-Bass.

Or, we do a VTX-Bass which is the above but without the SS power section, I am working on one of these for a BC member now. The output signal once again taken after the valve output transformer is supplied as DI and line for feeding an external power amp.

I hope that helps.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='137530' date='Feb 10 2008, 12:01 PM']Hi,

There are a few ways to do this.

We do a VTX-400-Bass that has a valve pre-amp and low wattage valve power section to generate the real valve pre-amp and output distortion of an all valve amp. We then feed the signal taken after the valve power section as it drives a dummy load into a 420W Class D solid state power section. So the super clean SS amp just amplifies the valve sound a bit like a PA.

We have plans for a 750W version of the above which will be called the VTX-750-Bass.

Or, we do a VTX-Bass which is the above but without the SS power section, I am working on one of these for a BC member now. The output signal once again taken after the valve output transformer is supplied as DI and line for feeding an external power amp.

I hope that helps.

Dave[/quote]

Thanks for all your help on the matter Dave.

Jonny,

You should take a look at the Aguilar DB 750. It's valve preamp stage with a 750w @4 ohm mosfet output section. Depending on you're cabinet choice the DB will comfortably drive a 2 ohm load and give you a true 975w if you want to kill everyone. It's a huge sounding amp with fast transient response and sounds great with any style of playing [url="http://aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_db750.htm"]http://aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_db750.htm[/url]. They offer a ten year warranty on this amp and the build quality is amazing. It's heavy and expensive but a great piece of kit.

Mick

Edited by BossHog

[quote name='BossHog' post='140408' date='Feb 14 2008, 03:58 PM']Jonny,

You should take a look at the Aguilar DB 750. It's valve preamp stage with a 750w @4 ohm mosfet output section. Depending on you're cabinet choice the DB will comfortably drive a 2 ohm load and give you a true 975w if you want to kill everyone. It's a huge sounding amp with fast transient response and sounds great with any style of playing [url="http://aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_db750.htm"]http://aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_db750.htm[/url]. They offer a ten year warranty on this amp and the build quality is amazing. It's heavy and expensive but a great piece of kit.

Mick[/quote]

Thanks very much Mick, ill have a look!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='140482' date='Feb 14 2008, 05:25 PM']J,

If you like the Mesa angle (wise move dude) there is a 400+ for sale in the amp section.... thats potentially 800w of Mesa valve loveliness that'll blow anything apart you aim it at (if you want it to!)

Suggest you check it out![/quote]

I'd love a 400+ as there out of production but i need to raise more funds lol but it means Ive got time to make the right decision.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='140485' date='Feb 14 2008, 05:34 PM']I'd love a 400+ as there out of production but i need to raise more funds lol but it means Ive got time to make the right decision.[/quote]

JW... PLease borrow some money and buy it...... its hurting my brain to log on at the minute until its sold..... my left cerebrum is nagging....

'buy the 400.... buy the 400.... buy the 400"

PLease stop the vocies....! :)

If you can find one the Aguilar DB680 728 pre / power offers 400W All Valve tone and will seriously knock down walls, I used this set up with a pair of Aguilar GS410's - see avatar

One Awesome set up - I believe Boss Hogg had the same set up prior to his DB750 era

Mark

Edited by Marcus