Why become a member? ×

New Dream Theater Album

I aquired an early copy, bout a month ago. I think it is good but you can hear the road runner influence. Sounds a little more like modern metal which i am not sure is a good thing. It is a dirtier mix IMO, individual instruments dont stand out with the usual DT clarity. Still a very good album

Well, I think it is the worst album they have ever done. Mostly because of the following:

I can't take the lyrics seriously. I also disagree with Petrucci's opinions on how the US and the rest of the world handled/ruined Iraq.

The mix/production shows wayyy too much Roadrunner influence. I think Porcupine Tree's most recent album also shows this. Everything sounds "the same", there doesn't seem to be alot of variation in sounds, dynamically. It is all just one big "sound", I found.

I'm starting to get bored of really fast distorted keyboard+guitar unisons. The so sound awesome, but sometimes I think DT does it a little bit too much, especially on the new album.

Not that this is a valid point, but I think the fact that Kerrang! gave it 5 stars, and it does sound alot like regular metal, really takes away from the magic of DT. I think after Octavarium (the track, not the album) this is a big letdown.

That's not to say that I think it sucks, but I definitely think I have heard more inspirational, expressive, and more focused music come from Dream Theater. I am sure it will grow a bit.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='13675' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:34 PM']I love the porcupine tree album BTW :)

G[/quote]

Same here, grand album! Sounds very similar to Deadwing IMHO, but Anaethatize is a joy - 17 minutes of awesome music!

Can't comment on the new DT album for I have not yet purchased it from any form of musical retailer

Fear of a Blank planet is the first PT album i have got.

I dont think DT have had any 'Radrunner' influence in their production if i am being honest. Watching the DVD (and seeing credits) Portnoy and Petrucci seem well behind the driving seats.

Maybe its in the in the mix but I dont hear what you are talkign about too heavily...

What i do hear are heavy influences in the mixes:

Track 1 - Rush (instrumental)
Track 3 - Metallica (arrangement and vocals)
Track 6 - Muse (Keys and arrangement - heavy Queen vox too)

Its interesting but i wonder how it will settle with me

G

[quote name='King of Loss' post='13689' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:46 PM']I like the PT too, but I was just saying that hte production shows a bit of that commercial influence on both the records I think. For example, the new PT sounds alot different to say, In Absentia.[/quote]
Aye, I'd agree with that. But Deadwing sounds very similar too, and that isn't a Roadrunner album, so I think that sound is more ot do with their new drummer and Steve Wilson having produced Opeth and the like - he's been influenced by that sorta thing. Maybe. I could, of course, be talking out of my ar*e

I got it but im not that into it atm one thing i really hate are the sections with mic portnoy speaking/singing imo he should just stick to what he know's best drumming

All in all i have to say that i dont think DT have been the same post kevin moore

Sure they've had 2 great keyboard shredder's in derek sherinian and jordan rudess but for me nothing they've written since Awake has pushed my button's like the stuff they did with moore
Images and words and awake just seem so much more complete to me & anything after it just seems that the vibe's those 2 albums have just not there any moore(pun intended)sure the chops are there and the tunes are well crafted but its just not the same Oct came pretty close though shame they didnt continue in that vibe

BTW if there are any pre LaBrie DT fan's here you might want to check out the new Charlie Dominici Album [url="http://www.dominici.com/"]DOMINICI A TRILOGY PART 2[/url] sounds like DT from When Dream And Day Unite but with much much better production top album great tunes (concept album) well worth the listen if you like your progy metal

Laters
Gizmo

Better than it was with DT :) the tunes are much more in his range and suit his voice quite well the band are basically [url="http://www.solidvision.org/home.htm"]SOLIDVISION[/url]with Charlie on vocals
if you dig "The Calling" (the tune playing on the Dominici enter page) you'll enjoy the rest of the album,though judging from the live video they have posted he still cant sing in tune live :huh:

Laters
Gizmo

Edited by Gizmo

Slightly off track, but i agree with Gizmo, the Charlie Dominic project / album that he mentioned.
That album is definately worth looking out for its awesome.

Anyway as d-basser mentioned i also heard systematic chaos approx a month ago, it still hasn't
grown on me yet either, but as everyone has mentioned there's definately a heavier
roadrunner records vibe to it.

Its a very non commercial dream theater album, but i read that this was the intention as
its their anti conglomerate big record label give me a radio friendly single album which their
prevoius label kept asking for. So they wanted to get back to their roots so to speak on this album.

I've also heard the new Planet X album, its very good with some great guitar playing by Alan Holdsworth
& the gang, but it certainly does miss the Tony Macalpine chemistry on this one imho.