Why become a member? ×

Would like some advice on my second ever bass

BMoney

Hello and Welcome to my first post here.

Let me first explain where I am, 3-4 months ago I purchased a Cort Curbow 4 String Fretless from the Bay, not really knowing what I was buying…. but damn it looked good. Those that know this bass will of course realise what a bad choice for a first bass this is (no fretlines), so anyhow after drawing fret lines on the side Iv made steady although very slow progress teaching myself how to play a number of Metallica bass lines via various sources, none of which have I really completed with the exception of Fade To Black.

I have no amp currently and play through a Bass Pod – Another purchase I knew very little about.

Anyhow, I got a bonus from work and thought why not treat myself to a new bass and Amp.

I have no intention of joining a Band or playing with anyone, in the foreseeable future, all I really want is to unwind in the evenings.

I don’t really know what im looking for or how much its sensible to spend, hency why im posting.
I don’t mind spending a little more on a guitar that can last in a collection for years and hold some value, but I wander if its worth spending the money at this stage?

I really want to capture the bass sound Cliff Burton has and specifically from one of his Live Bass Solos, il post a U-TUBE link later. Cliff played a number of basses but appears to have a large collection of Sadowsky’s.

I am rather tempted to buy a Metroline Sadowsky something along the lines of a M5-24 (no idea if this is a similar sounding instrument) but I think deep down this would be a stupid purchase, it’s a hell of a lot of money for my second ever bass and would of course need some sort of amplification for it which would no doubt not be cheap. Also I think if I turned up to a shop to purchase one id look like a complete tool when I came to demo it and I play some pretty rough Metallica lines.

So what im asking for is some Guidance, am I completely foolish for even considering a sadowsky at this stage? (I imagine I am:P)

What should I be looking at?
I have had a look at some Precision Fenders and while I am sure they are more than enough instrument for me….. I don’t know, they just don’t excite me, I actually think they are quite ugly with the pick guard, but i could live with a Black one.

I know this isn’t in the right forum, but if you could also give me your recommendations on an amp as well I would also appreciate it.

Edited by BMoney

Frankly - you should buy the best bass you can affiord otherwise you will spend your life wanting the next one up!

Look at some name basses, buy one you like that you find relatively easy to play and that sounds good. Reputations on instruments are always available on BC (if in doubt, ask). A nice looking instrument (to your eyes) will mean you will always be excited about playing. A good secondhand quality bass is a good idea because you can get more for your money and can always resell at roughly the price you paid. Find a bass player to go with you to look so you don't get ripped off (can't see where you are located but there are players who are BC members all over and London is full to the brim with them if you go there to make a purchase). A good professionsal instrument (£1,500?) will allow you to measure your improvements against your learning needs and not against the quality of your instrument.

And don't get screwed up about your fretless - 10 million cellists can't all be wrong... Playing fretless is not that much harder than fretted in reality - suggestions that it is harder are just an urban myth.

Everyone's different and responds to things in different ways, but I was kind of in a similar position to you with guitar. I was struggling to get to grips with a Squier Strat I bought second hand and thought a better guitar would be the magic bullet. So I bought an Eggle Berlin, lovely guitar, played like a dream, wonderful tone, looked great. So now I still sucked on guitar, but with slightly less effort. Every time I looked at the thing, it seemed to reproach me for being so useless. In the end I sold it (and lost money on it).

Armed with this experience, my approach to basses has been very different. I've had long scale, short scale, active, passive, 4-string, 5-string, solid, acoustic. Never had a fretless, but who knows. Few of them have cost more than 200 quid, the most expensive about 400, and even that was due to a shipping balls up. Trying something else has been part of the fun and to some extent what's kept me interested.

So, the point is, you're not in a band, so you could afford to have some fun, and provided you don't buy a complete piece of junk, it won't hold you back. In terms of learning to play, lessons or even a piece of software like Guitar Pro would probably be better value than a boutique bass.

The rude question has to be "what budget are we looking at here?"

Theres no need to go mad, Fender Highway 1 P and J models are superb for the dosh... Ibanez make some stonkers around the 500 mark as do many more. Fenders may be butt ugly but I'll bet nearly everyone on here has owned one, does own one or wants one....

Leave a sensible amount for the amp as getting a cheap one is a false economy, (a bit like buying a Ferrari and putting Kwik fit remoulds on it!)

Do some trawling around fleebay to get some ideas, just type in bass in teh search and put aside about a hour to go thru 'em all....

:)

The best advice I've heard over the years is that sounding like your heroes is much more to do with playing like them than playing the same instrument as them. I suspect Cliff Burton could play a headless Steinberger or a fretless acoustic bass and still sound more like Cliff Burton than me playing his exact rig.

With that in mind, it's really important that you try some out and play what feels right to YOU. In six-string world, I have toiled with guitars for years that I have bought because I love the look and sound of, but which just don't fit under my hands like others do at all. So try some in a few shops, and then make a decision at home before hunting for the best deal on one that you really like.

Thanks Guys, no doubt some awesome advice.

I hate to say it, but iv made a mixed up Cliff Burton and Jason Newstead :) Its jason that plays the Sadowskys.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAC36NSgf7M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAC36NSgf7M[/url]

This is the solo that i simply love, think its quality.

I believe he is playing a 4 String Sadowsky, isn't he?

I don't really have a Budget in mind, but i suppose i could spend up to 2000 for a setup if i was convinced too.

Like i said, this may be way too much for someone of my ability to play, but ... maybe not?

"Didn't CB once use a Aria Pro II SB1000?"
According too a fan site he used an Aria Pro II of some sort.

Edited by BMoney

£2k is a reasonable budget so have a trawl through the for sales on here. There's loads of stuff. If you are only ever going to play at home then you dont need loads of watts but should look for tone, but if you do think you are gonna gig at sometime then maybe look at something that can gow with your ambition.

You know, Cliff used Aria and Rickenbacker, and Mr. Jason Newsted was that who used M5-24 Sadowsky ( you can see it on S&M Master of Puppets, for example) and it's damn good sounding bass, by the way.

Well, as you're not that experienced bass player, I'd not suggest you M5-24 - better look at semi-priced bass range for now.

And, goddamit, don't take the bass if you don't like - whether it'd be Black or Orange... And, P-Bass, I think, wouldn't be the best choice for getting Tallica's sound.

My advice would be to take 'rocky' bass but not to try follow after Cliff or somebody else - make your own sound, which you like - it's you, who's playing Metallica's tunes, not Cliff, right, dude? :)

Take a look for some Ibanez, or other rocky stuff.
And, if you got oppurtunity to jam with some other people - do it, playing with other people is the key, and maybe it's the thing, that'd help you to take bass studies more serious.

Btw, that bass/guitar duolo is great, not hard, but the main mind is very nice - it's from live Cunning Stunts at Texas, 1997.

Nice to meet people who love Tallica's stuff :huh:

I love metallica, cant get enough.

I hear what you are saying about not trying too hard to duplicate Jason/Cliff/Robert, good advice i would bet.

Im not deadset against playing with anyone, im sure at some point i may get into it.

Could someone give me a ball park anserw, if for instance i was to spend 2000 on a setup, how much would be on amp and how much on a bass?

Considering this is an amp for a room, if i need to spend more at a later date to allow me to play with others then fair enough, that can happen.

None of us can tell you what to buy dude - you may not like what we do. For your budget I would get a GB and an EBS drome combo. Metallica it aint but then nor am I.

There are a couple of Valenti's in for sale (4 and 5) - very much like Sad's.

Amp wise I would go for the EBS rig -its very heavy but you aint moving it, but I hope you have got a big bedroom cos its f***ing loud. More sensible would be a small combo.

You might want to check out some ESPs as well, they're pretty metal without being Gothic.....

You may want to consider a custom build, if you have that budget available......

That being said alot of Metal bands still use Fenders!

As for backline, if you want a "coughs" urrhummm Metal sound then either Marshall or GK.

My opinion for what its worth

I am not currently in a band either and probably not going to be for a while (work / family commitments) usual stuff but in the last few years returned to the low end (used to play in a band when I was 17)!

I am happy with my setup:

MIM Fender precision £400
Ashdown Eb12/180 (180 watts) £ 180
Ashdown Mag 210 D £ 160
Zoom B2.1u £ 80

Recently bought (year ago) a Squier VM Fretless Jazz £ 215

Was going to sell that to fund another bass but been hit by a BIG bill lately so that's off...but wow what an amazing bass....been too busy to use much so decided to re-string and thank god! The roundwound strings were NOT the right thing. The flats sound incredible!

I know you said the Fenders are not what you are looking at but I have to say in your situation, much like mine I guess, go for a good mid range Bass. All the BIG companies do great basses at around £300 to £500, read the reviews on here (the guys on this site are an incredible source of expertise and help) and generally on the web (I know what it's like trying basses in shops, I know where you are coming from here) but take somebody with you that knows what your looking for and knows what they are doing. Why spend 2 grand when you can easily get away with a thousand or less. My kit is awesome IMHO. Great sound, almost too much at 180 watts, capable of being gigged eventually if you change your mind (Mag 210) and you can just NOT plug in the cabinet and leave the combo as is for now.

All the big makes do excellent mid range combos:

Ashdown / Laney / Ampeg / GK / Mark / Fender etc

that's IMHO anyway.....good luck.....

PM me if you want more of a chat.....where are you?