Why become a member? ×

New toy

Paul_C

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='139255' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:28 AM']That's a very cool bass, but what is it? I've never heard of Contessa - were they an offshoot of Eko or Meazzi?[/quote]

Don't know much myself, but there might have been a Hofner connection.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='139313' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:57 AM']Don't know much myself, but there might have been a Hofner connection.[/quote]

I'm guessing not - I collect vintage Hofners and there's very little common ground that I can see.

Do all those switches work? If so, what on earth do they all do?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='139406' date='Feb 13 2008, 11:59 AM']I'm guessing not - I collect vintage Hofners and there's very little common ground that I can see.

Do all those switches work? If so, what on earth do they all do?[/quote]

Well I have seen mention of them being connected to Hofner as a subsidiary company, rather than a company that Hofner made instruments for - but TBH I haven't found much info at all. The bass was made in Italy, this I know from the "Made in Italy" bit on the neck plate :)

The switches all work - the top four are pickup selection - marked Full/1/2/OFF - the bottom three feed the signal through some caps, and are marked Hi/Med/Lo