Why become a member? ×

Cheep and cheerful bass strings.

Robert Manning

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1213271' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:37 PM']I have been using Elites for years, I have 6 basses and never notice a change in metal type?
I'm not so keen on the stainless steel as I'm concerned they may eat my original vintage frets on the pre EB as the strings will be harder than the frets, I have them on the Ray4 at the moment and they play/Sound fine.[/quote]

I don't think my observations are limited to one brand... but my pet theory is that some of the metal used has been downgraded.

I have had more bum batches this last year that I ever did in the previous ( almost ) 20..but I only used DR's back then.
Prior to that it was always Elites

After a year of quite a bit of experimentation of other brands, I am coming back to DR..but I have had a recent duff set of those and for £38 for a 5 er set, that is not something I appreciated.

Maybe it was just bad luck..

I have a set of Ken Smiths to go on this week so will report on those too.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1213509' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:03 AM']go to stringsdirect and try their Legacy strings, used to be about £7 a set, and they were every bit as good as rotosounds. Make of that what you will :)[/quote]

There made in the rotosound factory :) (there was a rotosound QC card in a legacy box)

[quote name='hairyhaw' post='1213140' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:06 PM']I've used Rotobass a few times when I've been skint - they're about 12 quid a set at my local shop. They really weren't too bad IMO.

[url="http://www.rotosound.com/roto_bass.php"]Linky[/url]

Not a huge amount of choice in gauge but the most common are well covered.[/quote]

+1 on the rotobass for a cheap and cheerful set.

It doesn't matter whether your looking for something cheap "that will do" or the ultimate strings where price is unimportant. The right strings for you can only be discovered by trying for yourself with them on your bass. Unfortunately even for cheap strings that will most likely mean going through numerous sets before finding the strings that give the you the best feel and sound at a suitable price.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1213509' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:03 AM']go to stringsdirect and try their Legacy strings, used to be about £7 a set, and they were every bit as good as rotosounds. Make of that what you will :)[/quote]

+1

I bought a set to put on my Sue Ryder (didn't want to buy a set of strings that cost 50% of what the bass did....) and I've been impressed.

Really amazing strings for the money, my go-to brand when I can't afford elixirs.

I use Fenders on my Jazz. Cheap and long lasting.

I use Elixir on my Warwick and Overwater. Bit tighter to play than previous strings but you get used to that quite quickly.
Not cheap but they do seem to be lasting well - think its about 6mths now with no noticable change in tone or playability.

Dave

Great strings, got loads of packs in the cupboard. I also buy their guitar strings.

• 5 years later...

I used to use DR Sunbeams but am now very happy with these:

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1303922907' post='1212927']
I got on with Warwick Reds (£11.50 a set on [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/WARWICK/"]Stringbusters[/url]) on my MIM Jazz. They sounded fine and seemed to last well.
[/quote]

Following a link from some friendly BC'er - I ordered 3 sets of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Strings-ASH-STRING-ST-5ML-/292018352121?hash=item43fda66ff9:g:zuUAAOSwyQtVksOk

Because I was buying several sets, I got them cheaper than 6 quid a set too!
Although I've not tried them yet, I gave a set to my son, who's always going through bass strings
And I'll be putting a set on my Jazz bass in the next month or so

But at under £6 a set - I thought these were worth a try :o

+1 for Warwick Reds. I tend to use DR Fat Beams normally but when I'm in a fix and I just need a quick and cheap set I'll go for Warwick Reds every time. I think you can get them on Amazon Prime which is pretty cool. I try to keep a spare set in my gig bag for emergencies. For £12 or so you can't go wrong. Sure they won't last as long as a high end set but you'll get at least a few gigs out of them. Even when I'm done with them I still tend to recycle them to use on a different bass if I want a slightly more dead sound.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1489498743' post='3257416']
Why do people keep bumping random old threads at the moment? ......
[/quote]

Maybe they were searching for some info, and just came across an old thread that provided some answers?
That's the beauty of such forums - you can look through older threads, or you can ask the question again...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1489498743' post='3257416']
Why do people keep bumping random old threads at the moment? Is the forum sorting threads backwards for some people?!
[/quote]

Just because its old doesn't mean its irrelevant
Or so i keep telling myself.... :)