Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a custom made cab by The Bass Merchant?

Jamesemt

I'm weighing up my cab options, one of which is to get a custom made 1x12 as I need it in 4ohm.

Has anyone had a cab made by them (or seen/heard one by them?).

Apparently they are reverse engineered Tech Soundsystems cabs...

FWIW been quoted £280 each (I'd like to get two).

Edited by Jamesemt

Have not got one but am getting 2 2x12's. Popped down to see Mike this weekend and spent ages chatting about it, looking at the options and what he is making at the mo.
Am guessing they are a sound bet.

Someone on here has written about trying a 2x10......but do you think I can find it!!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='139293' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:20 AM']Are these the Purple Chilli cabs he's been thinking about building for some time now....????[/quote]

Don't know, still awaiting the photos. Basically I phoned asking about Tech Soundsystems when he suggested they could build me one...

I really like the sound of these!
I bought a MarkBass Little Mark 250 and an Aguilar GS112 from Mike last year and was really very pleased with the service, and amazed at Mike's ability to talk forever even though I kept telling him I was at work! :)

As much as I like the 1X12, I'm tempted to get a couple of 1X10 cabs made up so I can get the full wattage out of the MarkBass and to have the flexibility of two cabs...

Does anyone know what kind of things he's offering?
Maybe I should just give him a call.

I'll post anything I find out.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Raggy' post='139343' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:37 AM']"Does anyone know what kind of things he's offering?"

By the sound of it...anything you want. Speakers, coverings, configurations. I said to him what I was after, and he said "leave it with me and when your ready i'll build them"[/quote]

Oooooh, now that's even more tempting then!
That's got my mind racing now...

Yet another thread that's not good for my GAS! I think I need some Rennies!

Eude

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='139149' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:44 PM']I'm weighing up my cab options, one of which is to get a custom made 1x12 as I need it in 4ohm.

Has anyone had a cab made by them (or seen/heard one by them?).

Apparently they are reverse engineered Tech Soundsystems cabs...

FWIW been quoted £280 each (I'd like to get two).[/quote]

I have a customised TVM 2x10 combo and a 2x12 cab he made for me.

[quote name='dood' post='139749' date='Feb 13 2008, 06:18 PM']Looks like normal tech gear mate! (niiiiiice) I don't quite follow, what did Mike make mate?[/quote]

He put more powerful neo's in both - 10s on top 12s underneath - new handles on one, and altered them to run down to 4ohms, and did things to the amp that I can't remember (but have written down somewhere :huh: ).

My use of the word [i]made [/i]may have been misleading, perhaps I should have just stuck with [i]customised[/i] :) .

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='139836' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:27 PM']He put more powerful neo's in both - 10s on top 12s underneath - new handles on one, and altered them to run down to 4ohms, and did things to the amp that I can't remember (but have written down somewhere :huh: ).

My use of the word [i]made [/i]may have been misleading, perhaps I should have just stuck with [i]customised[/i] :) .[/quote]

ah no, it's cool mate! I was just interested to know what kinda custom work Mike could do, too!