Why become a member? ×

Gassing for Highway One Jazz

Jase

It's a little late and I'm up with GAS, Highway One Jazz to be precise. I use USA Jazz but never tried the Highway, so anybody willing to give me the good, the bad and the ugly on these. I saw a Daphne Blue one on ebay looked a good bass...is it?

cheers
Jase.

I saw that one too. It certainly looks the biz, but it's the original one. Fender re-did the Highway basses, and the new models have a Badass II bridge, Greasebucket master tone, a graphite re-enforced neck and a 70s-style logo. They look much cooler IMO and considering you can pick them up for about £500 it's pretty good value.

[quote name='jono b' post='139228' date='Feb 13 2008, 01:43 AM']I saw that one too. It certainly looks the biz, but it's the original one. Fender re-did the Highway basses, and the new models have a Badass II bridge, Greasebucket master tone, a graphite re-enforced neck and a 70s-style logo. They look much cooler IMO and considering you can pick them up for about £500 it's pretty good value.[/quote]

The upgraded models I'd like to know about, I thought the same around 500 quid maybe worth looking at.

Hi Guys,

So you like MY..... Daphne Blue Highway eh!. But seriously. It is an early one and I personally think they are more attractive than the current 70's pretender lookalike thingy. I Looked at a 07 last year and that thin 'nitro' finish is I reckon cheap and nasty, it was heavy too.

Reason Im selling, well I think Id still like to check out a custom shop or time machine model. I did try a 62 RI last year and the neck felt a lot chunkier than the skinny Hwy neck, which is more my thing. Anyways good luck with the bidding, as you can see its a great looking piece.
Note

Actually, you bring up a good point, my local music shop which is full of crapola has a new style highway 1, and it's got a HORRIBLE finish! Seriously bad, just in terms of aesthetics. To be fair, you could buy notable9's H1 and spend £35 buying a badass II from the states. Would cost you less than the new H1, but I like the 70s logo!

Hi Guys.
I have a HW1 Jazz and its a fantastic feeling/sounding Bass IMO. I also have a HW-One P and that too is great.
Im not sure how the HW-One Jazz plays compared to the HW1 jazz (god this is confusing) but sound wise i think they are all pretty close to how they should sound.
The finish on my Jazz started to fall off within weeks, the finish on my P is perfect still after 3 months so im not sure about the comments above on the finish. Personally i ilke the black Nitro finish. That was a big selling point for me as i don't really like glossy black finishes.
The two necks are different though (other than being a Jazz and P). The Jazz has a very glossy finish on the back and a skunk stripe. The P has a more satin finish and no stripe. for me the Jazz neck looks better. Of course the HW-One has a reinforced neck.
The HW-Ones also come with quite a nice padded gig bag, the HW1 came with a very thin one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='140175' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:33 AM']Hi Guys.
I have a HW1 Jazz and its a fantastic feeling/sounding Bass IMO. I also have a HW-One P and that too is great.
Im not sure how the HW-One Jazz plays compared to the HW1 jazz (god this is confusing) but sound wise i think they are all pretty close to how they should sound.
The finish on my Jazz started to fall off within weeks, the finish on my P is perfect still after 3 months so im not sure about the comments above on the finish. Personally i ilke the black Nitro finish. That was a big selling point for me as i don't really like glossy black finishes.
The two necks are different though (other than being a Jazz and P). The Jazz has a very glossy finish on the back and a skunk stripe. The P has a more satin finish and no stripe. for me the Jazz neck looks better. Of course the HW-One has a reinforced neck.
The HW-Ones also come with quite a nice padded gig bag, the HW1 came with a very thin one.[/quote]

Hi dave, what do you reckon on the neck profile, radius etc, how does it feel?

[quote name='Jase' post='140182' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:39 AM']Hi dave, what do you reckon on the neck profile, radius etc, how does it feel?[/quote]

The neck is fantastic IMO.
Its actually on my P at the moment. I found i couldn't get on with the P neck but this Jazz neck is so comfortable that im keeping the Jazz just for the neck.
Im selling the P and have got a Lakland DD as this has a jazz neck on a P body but still its not as comfortable as the HW1.
Ive not got much experience with other Jazz necks but to me the HW1 feels quite thick, depth wise but that makes it fit in my hand better.
It certainly feels better than a Geddy i played at the same time.
Your welcome to have a play on it if you are ever in the central London area. Its not for sale but would give you an idea how the older HW1 necks are.
I havent played a HW-One Jazz but have seen one and the neck is not as nice looking IMO but im sure it plays just as well. Plus its got the reinforcements in it.

[quote name='Jase' post='140200' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:07 PM']Thanks for the offer dave but I'm in South Wales :)

Just wanted to make sure the necks were more the usual Jazz feel than say the Geddy which as you know is ultra slim.[/quote]

No problem. Didnt realise you were that far away.

Yes, its certainly more substantial than the Geddy. To me thats a plus but i know lots of people like the Geddy.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='140213' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:16 PM']No problem. Didnt realise you were that far away.

Yes, its certainly more substantial than the Geddy. To me thats a plus but i know lots of people like the Geddy.[/quote]

Yes, I like the Geddy bass too but the profile does tend to fatigue my hands/fingers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='140175' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:33 AM']Personally i ilke the black Nitro finish. That was a big selling point for me as i don't really like glossy black finishes.[/quote]

I don't mind the finish really, it's just a very vague kind of white colour on the one in my local, and a little yellow-y too, it's little vomit-coloured. The black ones aren't bad though, provided you put a black scratchplate on it too :)

[quote name='Jase' post='140592' date='Feb 14 2008, 07:36 PM']Didn't Fender design the finish so it wore pretty quickly, like the custom shop stuff or am I talking ballards??[/quote]

Its been said quite a few times over the past few years and it makes sence but iver not read Fender admiting to it so i would say no, its not suposed to.
Some people have HW1's that have no problems with the finish. I guess they would be intitled to a refund in that case ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='140594' date='Feb 14 2008, 07:38 PM']Its been said quite a few times over the past few years and it makes sence but iver not read Fender admiting to it so i would say no, its not suposed to.
Some people have HW1's that have no problems with the finish. I guess they would be intitled to a refund in that case ;-)[/quote]

This is the reason apparently : "The thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish lets the body wood's natural tone shine through" :)

[quote name='Jase' post='140649' date='Feb 14 2008, 09:12 PM']This is the reason apparently : "The thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish lets the body wood's natural tone shine through" :)[/quote]

There a difference between "shine through" and "be totally exposed :-)

On my Jazz the red finish has worn off in places leaveing the natural wood showing through. Its still got a shine on it so its not bare wood but it will be very hard to sell i imagine. It does look vintage though.
But yes, you can see the wood grain showing through the coating and it looks very nice.