Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Help

Ghost Rider

Hello fellow bass players,

I may have chance to get an acoustic bass & I am pretty new to bass playing so does anyone know anything about the Ibanez AGB140 semi acoustic.
I have read a few reviews but wondered if anyone out there had one & could give an honest opinion of what it is like to play & how well made they are.
I am looking for an acoustic to keep handy around the house.
The chap selling it wants £180 which I thought was a bit steep as you can get a new one for £235 but it does come with a hard case.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Ghost Rider' post='139930' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:46 PM']Hello fellow bass players,

I may have chance to get an acoustic bass & I am pretty new to bass playing so does anyone know anything about the Ibanez AGB140 semi acoustic.
I have read a few reviews but wondered if anyone out there had one & could give an honest opinion of what it is like to play & how well made they are.
I am looking for an acoustic to keep handy around the house.
The chap selling it wants £180 which I thought was a bit steep as you can get a new one for £235 but it does come with a hard case.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I don't know that model but it does sound steep in terms of new/used price ratio. You could probably find better value elsewhere. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-AEB10E-Electric-Acoustic-Bass_W0QQitemZ220199278987QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]This Ibanez AEB10E [/url]went for £100 which seems more like it.

Also, if you want it to have handy around the house then the hardcase is not much of a selling point is it?

A hard case can come very much in handy just in case you want to take it anywhere on its own to play unplugged.
I probably wouldn't buy an acoustic without one because a good fitting case can be hard to find due to the various shaped.
Also their bulky/fragile nature welcomes a case just in case you need it safely out of the way at any point.
Plus the fact that if you wanted to sell it online, there's relief in the fact of a safer courier journey.

Many of these things might be irrelevant to a pro, but if you just want to go down the beach for an acoustic jam, a good case can come in handy.

[quote name='paul, the' post='140003' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:48 AM']A hard case can come very much in handy just in case you want to take it anywhere on its own to play unplugged.
I probably wouldn't buy an acoustic without one because a good fitting case can be hard to find due to the various shaped.
Also their bulky/fragile nature welcomes a case just in case you need it safely out of the way at any point.
Plus the fact that if you wanted to sell it online, there's relief in the fact of a safer courier journey.

Many of these things might be irrelevant to a pro, but if you just want to go down the beach for an acoustic jam, a good case can come in handy.[/quote]

I have priced the case for them & they are about £65 So that would take the bass & case up to around £300 so £180 is starting to sound a bit better, Not as good as £150 though! Thanks for the advice..

[quote]I am looking for an acoustic to keep handy around the house.[/quote]

Oh, sorry, I missed that.

It's good to keep an open mind, though. I wish I had had a case for mine, it's now pretty battered.

---

Here's a thread with some 140 discussion. Hope you get some more here.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1542&hl=AGB140"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1542&hl=AGB140[/url]

Just a warning. The AGB140 ("Artcore") basses do NOT have any volume unplugged like a "proper" acoustic bass. They're just a semihollow electric. Very nice looking, but I tried one in a shop (thinking that it would do for unplugged practice), and all I could hear was string noise/clank (they were nasty new strings, mind). Lovely looking bass, but definitely NOT an acoustic bass. £185 is about the going rate for them on eBay IIRC.

Here's a pic to remind people what we're talking about:

So - "proper" acoutic basses.

As you'll find if you read a few more threads, the majority (if not all) acoustic basses do not have the equivalent volume to an acoustic guitar, although they can get close. But if you're hoping to jam unplugged with a couple of acoustic guitars, you'll get swamped whatever bass you have.

I MAY be selling my acoustic bass - a cheap (but good) Harley Benton. Full scale, 24 fret - big body so decent unplugged sound. Reasonable preamp for playing plugged in. I have replaced the nut with a bone one (which made a big difference to the sound) and it is set up really nicely. Would come with a gigbag and fresh strings. I'll PM you with more info.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='RichardH' post='140074' date='Feb 14 2008, 09:26 AM']Just a warning. The AGB140 ("Artcore") basses do NOT have any volume unplugged like a "proper" acoustic bass. They're just a semihollow electric. Very nice looking, but I tried one in a shop (thinking that it would do for unplugged practice), and all I could hear was string noise/clank (they were nasty new strings, mind). Lovely looking bass, but definitely NOT an acoustic bass. £185 is about the going rate for them on eBay IIRC.

Here's a pic to remind people what we're talking about:

So - "proper" acoutic basses.

As you'll find if you read a few more threads, the majority (if not all) acoustic basses do not have the equivalent volume to an acoustic guitar, although they can get close. But if you're hoping to jam unplugged with a couple of acoustic guitars, you'll get swamped whatever bass you have.

I MAY be selling my acoustic bass - a cheap (but good) Harley Benton. Full scale, 24 fret - big body so decent unplugged sound. Reasonable preamp for playing plugged in. I have replaced the nut with a bone one (which made a big difference to the sound) and it is set up really nicely. Would come with a gigbag and fresh strings. I'll PM you with more info.[/quote]

Ok mate, Thanks very much. I'll get back to you..

Regards, Anth.