Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings

farmer61

I have always used flats. 15 / 20 years ago it was hard to find them as most shops didn't stock them. Other bass players used to take the mickey. Strange how things change.

One day maybe roundwounds will be hard to find in shops?

jeff

[quote name='Rubbersoul' post='1270866' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:08 AM']Are flats better for pick or fingers? Or does it make a difference?[/quote]
Different sounds, you got to try them, but both ways are common. The clean crisp clear bass sound on a lot of sixties pop material is session guys, e.g. Joe Osborn, Carol Kaye, John Paul Jones, playing flats with a pick. Also, a lot of McCartney's bass on Beatles stuff is flats with a pick. The soul and R&B of the same period is more likely to be flats with fingers and so more of a thud. Someone else will bring it up to date with more recent material I'm sure.

I'm using Jamerson Labellas on my S1 Jazz with wizard 84 pups, gives me twang or thump or something inbetween with good authority.

I'm 3/4 happy... but having issues with the E string. A google of 'labella E string' shows some others have had issues with QC. Its tone is different to the others and is a bugger to keep tune.... warm or cold enviroment will move it out, as will the warmth from the friction of playing for a while. Also, just the absolute slightest of movement on the tuner has an exaggerated effect. I'm going to have to try a more standard gauge which is a shame because I do like the 110's stiffness and epic girth, oooh errr. I also suspect my luthier filed the nut to fit the E, so I'll have to factor the cost of a new one into any strings replacement.

Flats, and also through bridge as opposed to through body stringing, have helped tame the bags of sustain the instrument had when it first came to me wearing factory rounds. I know sustain is a sign of a well put together instrument and that if you were a les paul, face melting solo rocking guitar type, your thinking would be different but I'm of the opinion that basses, mine at least, don't want too much sustain.

[quote name='Shambo' post='1274482' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:27 AM']... Flats, and also through bridge as opposed to through body stringing, have helped tame the bags of sustain the instrument had when it first came to me wearing factory rounds. I know sustain is a sign of a well put together instrument and that if you were a les paul, face melting solo rocking guitar type, your thinking would be different but I'm of the opinion that basses, mine at least, don't want too much sustain.[/quote]
Agreed, I've never come across a bass that had too little sustain.

• 2 months later...

I've just done up an old Bass and decided to try flats for the first time. Only took 24 years to get around to it... I think I like them, I've only just put them on, but I'm surprised at how sticky they feel. I was expecting to be sliding all over the place, but it ain't happening. Is this something that will wear off? They're D'Addario Chromes. They're a lot brighter than I was expecting too.

I remember when I was 15 and working in a Guitar shop. For cleaning the boss's tour bus I was told I could have a pack of strings. I decided to try flatties but the shop didn't stock them! I spent an hour going through all the single strings until I found an whole set, only to then notice that they were shortscale.. Oh well, I wonder how different my playing might have been if I'd have tried them back then.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1364879' date='Sep 7 2011, 06:11 AM']I'm surprised at how sticky they feel. I was expecting to be sliding all over the place, but it ain't happening. Is this something that will wear off? They're D'Addario Chromes. They're a lot brighter than I was expecting too.[/quote]
That's wear off, and they'll be as smooth as glass. If you want to speed it up a bit, give them a good rub down all the way round with an old t-shirt.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1364879' date='Sep 7 2011, 06:11 AM']I've only just put them on, but I'm surprised at how sticky they feel.[/quote]
Surgical Spirits or Isopropyl Alchohol on a cotton wool pad or cotton rag rubbed along each string leaves them lovely & clean, squeaky clean!

Cheerz, John

Just fitted a set of D'Addario Chromes to my Overwater Contemporary J. The increased tension is at first a little concerning as you have to more a fair bit of force into the machine head to get it to the correct pitch, this also meant I had to adjust the truss rod to counter the increased tension in the strings themselves.

After i'd tuned up and sorted the action, I plugged it in and wow - the definition is still there (I expected a lot more thud) but there is more fundamental with less oversparkly top end. I would say the overall tone is more balanced than with flats being more 'musical' and clear. Rounds still have their place as my main string but I do like the flats too. When I get my fretless back up and running I won't be putting rounds on it.

[quote name='jcater' post='1268414' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:24 AM']One day maybe roundwounds will be hard to find in shops?

jeff[/quote]

I hope not.
On my daughter's Squier 'tele' bass (seen with me in my avatar photo) flats sound too lacking in clarity. The mudbucker sounds the best with a set of rounds.

[quote name='Machines' post='1369275' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:57 AM']It was true in the 1950's.[/quote]
It was impossible in the 1950s because they weren't invented until the 60s and they were scarce even in the early 70s.
The original Fender basses were designed for flats but the only one in their range now supplied with them is the Pino signature Precision - all the vintage series should come with flats to be period correct.

Edited by redstriper

I love playing on my flats, but last night an old covers issue came back, some of the songs just required the brightness and sustain of rounds

Im wondering if there is a flat or even a half wound that might give me a bit of both, I really dont want to be using 2 basses like I have before, playing flats for some soul, then picking up the rounds bass for duran duran etc

Anyone got any strings choices for me to try ?