Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image Coda Series III two-channel combo

I got this recently off Mr Bassman (Keith). Its the Series III R model of the Acoustic Image Coda two-channel combo and is in immaculate condition, complete with thickly padded bag. Its absolutely superb for jazz or small groups as it is the most natural and clear sounding of any DB amp around and has a bunch of useful features for killing feedback, eliminating boom and adding chorus etc.

I have a specific problem in that I play in a 14-piece, loud band with full brass section, noisy drummer and competition in the same register from a sousaphone ... and the AI loses all its advantages here as it does not do serious volume. Unless we get a great PA and soundguy I am in trouble as I just cannot hear myself play (hence my recent thread about amplifying a double bass loudly).

I have just acquired a MarkBass F1 and Barefaced Midget T and these - with a preamp in front (LR Baggs Venue DI) - are better suited to serious volumes and actually sound pretty good too. So I am rationalising and moving on the AI Coda.

Here's a stock pic and I guarantee it looks just like this!

[attachment=79696:coda_r_lg.jpg]

I am looking for £700. New these retail at £1,365 including padded cover in the most recent European price list [url="http://acousticimg.eu/AI_UK_RETAIL_PRICE.pdf"]http://acousticimg.eu/AI_UK_RETAIL_PRICE.pdf[/url] so this is a seriously good bargain for a top flight DB combo

For the record here are the technical specs:

•Three-way Sealed Speaker System OR NOTE:Two-way - The SE models have an extended range 5" midrange, so the 1" tweeter is omitted in those models.
•10" Long-throw Low-frequency Woofer
•5" High-frequency Driver
•1" Tweeter (with On/Off Switch) - see note above
•500-Watt "Digital" Power Amplifier, 500w @2 ohms, 400w @4 ohms (internal speaker is 8 ohms)
•Two identical channels for any mix of instruments and microphones using 1/4" or XLR inputs
•Input and Master Level Controls for each channel
•Mute Switch
•Three Band EQ (each channel):
◦Bass Control: Shelving type, ±15 dB @ 60 Hz
◦Mid Control: ±15 dB @ 650 kHz
◦Treble Control: Shelving type, ±15 dB @ 10 kHz
•Switchable Notch/High Pass Filter
◦Notch Filter: -12 dB sweepable from 30 to 700 Hz
Notch Control lets you reduce the volume of a single frequency to help fight a feedback or resonance problem
◦High Pass Filter: -12 dB/octave sweepable from 30 to 700 Hz
The High Pass filter lets you reduce the response below a frequency of your choice, to fight the mud on boomy stages and in similar situations
•Six Digital Effects including three reverbs, one delay, one chorus, and one flanger using technology licensed from Alesis; Acoustic Image cherry-picked the best of the bunch and included them in the Series III models
•Separate Digital Effects in/out buttons for each channel
•Combination Jacks allow the use of a 1/4" or XLR input; input impedances are 1 megohm or 600 ohms based on jack chosen, separately buffered
•Separate Effects Loops via 1/4" phone jacks with Return Level Control for each channel
•Balanced XLR Line Output with Ground Lift
•PRE- or POST-effects switch XLR output
•Stereo Option: Channel 2 button allows you remove the second channel from this amp, to route it to second amplifier, for stereo use.
•AC Power On/Off switch with LED Indicator
•External Speaker Output (Neutrik Speakon), internal speaker is wired directly to the amplifier
•Detachable AC Input Connector with Built-in Fuse
•Dual voltage operation (115v/230v, 50/60 Hz) via external switch (comes with USA Cable; to use in other countries, you can source an IEC-C13 AC Cable, also commonly used for computer power supplies.)
•Lightweight- less than 20 lbs! with new Durable Molded Enclosure
•Molded Carry Handles
•Dust cover with cable pocket and shoulder strap included
•FIVE YEAR WARRANTY

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1228963' date='May 12 2011, 04:02 PM']Will you knock it off, mate. :)[/quote]
You know what I'm gonna say mate - payment plan on offer to my favourite reading-advocate mod :)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1228987' date='May 12 2011, 04:28 PM']get a shop for christs sake Clarky :)[/quote]
I'm nearly done John! I just took a while to sort out what I needed for playing DB in my band :)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1228996' date='May 12 2011, 04:37 PM']phew!! that's a relief, you must be totally skint selling stuff at those prices AND having to play in a band with FOURTEEN other members and i nominate that Coda 3 for 'bargain of the year' so far :)[/quote]
Fortunately I didn't buy either AI rig new so I am still able to buy beers for 14 band members - not sure about the scary clowns and the fire-eaters though :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' date='May 12 2011, 02:21 PM' post='1228849']
I got this recently off Mr Bassman (Keith). Its the Series III R model of the Acoustic Image Coda two-channel combo and is in immaculate condition, complete with thickly padded bag. Its absolutely superb for jazz or small groups as it is the most natural and clear sounding of any DB amp around and has a bunch of useful features for killing feedback, eliminating boom and adding chorus etc.

I miss the low end thump that this delivers, especially when playing drumless gigs.

I'd love to take it back but I'm overspent just now. :)

I still have Keith's packaging and of course the amp goes in its padded cover so, although I tend to prefer handover for delicate pieces of kit like amplifiers, I am willing to post this at cost (I guess its around £10-15 within the UK)

Having played some more with my alternative rig options I am withdrawing this combo. At low/medium volumes nothing touches this (at least that I have heard) for natural and faithful DB sound reproduction. While my band Rattlin Bone demands a loud rig (for which I will use my Baggs/F1/Midget), I may as well keep this combo for home/practice use and who knows I may end up in a band that isn't as loud some day - in which event I would be lucky to buy something this good for such a good price. So I'm keeping it :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1231073' date='May 14 2011, 04:23 PM']Having played some more with my alternative rig options I am withdrawing this combo. At low/medium volumes nothing touches this (at least that I have heard) for natural and faithful DB sound reproduction. While my band Rattlin Bone demands a loud rig (for which I will use my Baggs/F1/Midget), I may as well keep this combo for home/practice use and who knows I may end up in a band that isn't as loud some day - in which event I would be lucky to buy something this good for such a good price. So I'm keeping it :)[/quote]

Good decision mate
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1231103' date='May 14 2011, 05:02 PM']Good decision mate
C[/quote]
+1 You can always pair the combo with an extra speaker. Is the amp removable? I have the Focus head and I pair it with an EA CXL 112 for loud gigs ie a 12 piece big band and a loud rock trio (electric bass.)
Of course if you are ever in the market for an AI extension cab........

• 2 weeks later...