Why become a member? ×

Help required desperately - Galway bl**dy Girl...

Muzz

OK, a desperate plea - you may (or may well not, and why should you?) have seen a response I made to a relevant thread about dep gigs (the one where the singer's asked me at short notice and then says "Oh, and it's a dep drummer, too, and he's not very good." , but I've got a dep gig on Saturday, and one of the 24-song list I'm stuffing into my head is Galway Girl, and I'm buggered if I can come up with an even vaguely convincing bass line for this. There isn't even any tab stuff out there, which is normally the last resort.

I know, I know, it should be straightforward root and fifth stuff, and all the others on the list I've got my head around fine, but this one's a real mental blank for me.

So, humour me, be gentle, and any help on this fricking song would be very gratefully received.

There's only so much I'm going to be able to blame on the drummer... :)

Cheers,

Muzz

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1235359' date='May 18 2011, 10:42 AM']I play this in an Irish band I'm in,what key are you doing it in?[/quote]

For authenticity's sake, it's D-B-G, as per the PS I Love You soundtrack, and Gerard Butler's definitive version. :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1235364' date='May 18 2011, 10:46 AM']For authenticity's sake, it's D-B-G, as per the PS I Love You soundtrack, and Gerard Butler's definitive version. :)[/quote]

Ha! Erm not sure how to explain how I play it,do you know where I can get a blank tab sheet an I will make a poor but willing attempt on making it look legible.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1235396' date='May 18 2011, 11:04 AM']Same here.[/quote]

Yeah, that's kinda the issue, though - it just doesn't sound good at all. Am I just going to have to roll all the tone off, play near the neck and glare at the drummer the whole time? :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1235437' date='May 18 2011, 11:22 AM']Yeah, that's kinda the issue, though - it just doesn't sound good at all. Am I just going to have to roll all the tone off, play near the neck and glare at the drummer the whole time? :)[/quote]
This stuff is all about the feel. Each note has to count..

Is the drummer sympathetic to the tune, or is he playing all over it?

Never played with him, and given the less-than-stellar intro from the singer (who admitted he's had to take what he can get drummer-wise at short notice), I'm approaching this whole gig from the perspective that I'm not gonna get much help from the stool at the back* - hence the query: I really don't want to have to busk this one if the drummer's not on song.

* 'Stool at the back' - new slang for drummer?

I've also just finished learning this. I found that a good trick is to essentially only play one note on the beat, and stick to root-5th. Playing the 5th on the lower string help in getting the foundation right. Tone rolled off, soft picking at the neck, maybe even use your thumb and do a bit of palm muting?

Also, following the singing rhythm for the changes helped getting al the bits together.

Good luck

By the way we're doing the Mundy version, in E, for the first time, in a popular irish bar in the centre of edinburgh, full of discerning irish people, a week on saturday. Nervous already :)

• 2 years later...

[quote name='chrisd24' timestamp='1305712232' post='1235368']
Ha! Erm not sure how to explain how I play it,do you know where I can get a blank tab sheet an I will make a poor but willing attempt on making it look legible.
[/quote]

Hi Chris

Did you ever find a blank tab sheet? Have you posted the tab anywhere? I have just found this forum as I have been asked to play bass for Galway Girl and would really appreciate some help!!