Why become a member? ×

Will a double bass fit in my car?

jazzyvee

I'm watching a few double basses on ebay at the moment and hopefully will get one of them.
I have no experience with them at all and am looking for one to learn on.
But my question is can anyone tell me if it will fit into my car.
I have no idea of the length of a double bass but my car is a 2004, 7 Series BMW. The Standard Wheelbase model not the Long Wheelbase version.

Thanks

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='1237474' date='May 19 2011, 09:56 PM']I have no idea of the length of a double bass but my car is a 2004, 7 Series BMW.[/quote]

Never had a 7 but I've had plenty of 5-series Beemers. My DB will fit fairly easily in the back of a 5-series Touring (i.e. estate) but I wouldn't think it stood a chance of fitting in a saloon.

Definitely try before you buy.

I started a similar thread a while back if it helps: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=117525&hl=transporting"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=transporting[/url]

It seemed that the most people can fit it into whatever car by reclining the passenger seat, and putting the bass in head first. If that works in a ford KA you'll probably be fine.

[quote name='jbn4001' post='1237503' date='May 19 2011, 10:18 PM']I can get one in a Ford Ka with the seats down. Neck sits between driver and passenger seats mind, but it works fine for me.[/quote]

This. Easy.

If it's not a hatchback then I'd try it first.

+1 on folding the front seat, you just have to make sure it goes through the doors.

My mate has a 406 and I can't fit a 3/4 db with small shoulders through the door openings

A bass will go in any hatchback, even a Micra. Also in most medium sized coupes because the doors (2) are wider than a saloon's. I travelled my bass in a Merc CLK for many years. Saloons are more of a problem and you should definitely try before you buy. How many poncy salesmen have said to me 'oh yes sir, you can get your golf clubs in the back'? only to be told it's a double bass and not having a clue what I'm talking about.

+1 on all that.
I used to get mine in a mini. An old one. Scroll in footwell, passenger seat reclined.

Not recommended.

I've never bought anything but a hatchback in 20 years for the sole reason of carrying around basses.
I can get two in the back of my Golf hatchback, easy peasy.

I used to get my double bass into a 2000 VW passat. It wasn't easy but it went in there. I think as far as saloons go, the 7 series is a fairly large one, lwb or not. I should imagine you'll have no trouble. Just don't leave it too late, far too many times I remember rushing to get it into that car to get to an exam, knowing that it fits, just not remembering how. Luckily I passed my test and bought a hatchback before I ever had to get to a regular band practice with it.

Good luck with the double bass though, I hope you enjoy it.

Tom

[quote name='chris_b' post='1238168' date='May 20 2011, 01:56 PM']Have you got a roof rack?[/quote]

Well, that's not as crazy as it sounds. My first car was standard ten and I used to carry my bass on the roof. Went to Cornwall and back with it. But wouldn't recommend it.

I used to own a 3 series BMW, so if you have a 7 series it should be no hassle. I moved my 3/4 bass in soft case around just fine, just drop back the front passenger seat (so that it's headrest is more or less on the back seat, slide in your double bass through the passenger door, the scroll should sit nicely between the two rear headrests, and clip the seat belt around and away you go... :)

BTW I now own a ford focus hatch back and you can fit a double bass and full ampeg stack (flightcased) in... :)

Cheers

Andrew

Mine goes in my Renault Megane (the model with the J-Lo rear end), either on the front passenger seat with the headrest removed and the seat folded back, or in the back with the rear seats down and the headstock over the central console. In addtion to the the DB I can also get in the WAV and my Ashdown Acoustic Radiator in its flight case. Oh and sometimes a singer although she complains a bit.

Hint: if you buy an old DB that has been painted black, tie it to the roof of your car especially if it's raining. You never know...

ficelles

• 5 years later...

I know this is a really old thread so I'm not sure if anyone's still watching it. I hankered after a Jaguar XK (X150 Coupe, MY 2006-2014, not the early one) for ages. Only thing that put me off was fitting my 3/4 DB in one, someone called Goblin on here from Lancashire posted that he knew someone who carried his round in an XK. So I took the DB to a local Jag dealer who had an XK in, me and the saleswoman just looked at each other and shook our heads, no way it was going to fit.
So I bought an XK anyway and last Monday i thought, will the Db fit in without its gigbag? The answer is yes it does, passenger seat fully back/reclined, DB on its back with the scroll resting on the RH rear seat top. It has to be twisted at about 45 degrees
Not only that , but I put this info on the XKEC forum, and it appears that one or two of us have done this.

We were recently shopping about fr a new car and noticed that most/many new cars do not have folding passenger seats. Assume H&S stuff. We have a saloon (A3) and the neck of my DB has to slide between the front seats. I got some funny looks fro salesmen when the first question concerned my DB but lets face it ...it is the most important thing about a car ...assuming that it moves