Why become a member? ×

Takamine TB-10

malcolm.mcintyre

I have been considering on of these for months as I have two new band projects on the horizon that need an acoustic bass sound. I am a bass guitarist, and although I also have a cheap double bass am pretty hopeless on it as I find it too physicaly demanding an instument to dip in and out of. I also find double bass fingering much more tiring when trying to play fast. I couldn't find much info about the TB10 so thought I would add my impressions.
I initially looked at various EUBs in "proper" 40" scale, liked the Yamaha SLB200, certainly easier than my acoustic DB to play. Then I saw the Takamine TB10 on the web. I liked the sound clips I found on the Thomann site. Couldn't find one to try in the UK, so eventuall bought it untried on the internet.
I am very impressed. The sound from the cool-tube pre-amp is great, much more double-bass like than my actual DB from its Shadow pick-up. The look and finish are excellent, provided you dont mind the very Takamine satin laquer look. The neck is very deep, and quite DB in profile, and I think this is what gives the good tone. Action is high, like the Yamaha SLB, with a very radiused fingerboard. Again this allows a more DB playing style, getting more energy into the stings for the right sound, but intonation is much more intuitive for a regular bass guitarist.
Takamine say you can bow it, but while I found it just possible, the bridge radius and body cutaways make it very difficult. I don't think I could bow it at a gig.
The design is clearly directed to upright playing, like an EUB, but I have found no difficulty playing it sitting in guitar mode, and actually prefer it that way. I am going to fit a strap button to the heel of the neck, because it feels like it will balance ok, and the body isn't too bulky. Having said that, this is a BIG bass guitar, the case looks plenty scary when you first see it because it is so deep.
Unplugged it is seriously weedy sounding, and I don't see any application in this mode, apart from bedroom practice perhaps.

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1246968' date='May 27 2011, 12:40 PM']Unplugged it is seriously weedy sounding, and I don't see any application in this mode, apart from bedroom practice perhaps.[/quote]
Apart from maybe the Earthwood basses no acoustic bass guitar is loud enough to use in anything other than a solo context unplugged.

There's a reason why the double bass has such a large body.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1247234' date='May 27 2011, 03:43 PM']I've considered a TB10 but it's a lot of money to lay out without trying one first and more than I'd want to pay anyway. The only used ones I've seen were inaccessible or had been altered (one with fretlines and one with side dots between the 'frets').[/quote]

I've got the one with added fretlines on appro. Mixed feelings at the mo'

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1247809' date='May 28 2011, 12:55 AM']Tell us more please.[/quote]

Yeah, why mixed?

I've tried one of these and loved it. Found it a bit tough on my right hand technique as I've not played an upright before.

Sounded great through a nice amp set up :)

I wasn't wild about this bass, although I so wanted to love it (as it looks so incredibly cool). I found it wasn't as playable as a fretless electric bass (due to the heavily-radius'd finger board and unadjustable bridge, hence quite high action) or as an upright bass (due to 34" scale). Like I say, I was all set to bash the credit card but it wasn't for me.

Agreed that it takes more effort to play than a regular fretless bass guitar, but the sound from the combination of the fingerboard, body and transducer in the bridge, is so much closer to an amplified DB than any other 34 inch scale BG that I have heard.
I am really getting on well playing this sitting in guitar mode, although strangely it sounds better in upright mode.
I don't see how it is more difficult to play than a DB. Certainly a lot easier to play than mine!
It is quite expensive for a Takamine, but the finish and quality is top notch. The UK price of about 2K GBP compares better than usual with the US prices I've seen.
Can't see the need for permanent fretlines or dots, but have certainly used a few pencil marks on the side 'til I'm used to it :-)

Edited by malcolm.mcintyre

• 4 months later...

I'm now in possession of the B10 mentioned earlier (the one with the fretlines and side dots between the frets). I've got to say that so far I'm loving it although I'm still trying to figure out the preamp. I've fitted a strap pin on the heel and I'm playing it horizontally.

The thing I'd change is that I'd prefer if it still had no fretlines, although that's not really a problem, but, more problematically for me, I really don't like the side dots between the fretlines as if it was a defretted bass. I may have to have those dots removed and new dots at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1322257566' post='1448795']
I've just sold all my acoustic basses to buy one of these so if anyone's selling their's, please let me know
Chris
[/quote]
Good luck with that Chris, there can't be many of them around. I'm really enjoying mine although I haven't gigged it yet.

I'll bring someone to help me get it into the van as well then :)

All joking aside, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that has one in stock, I'm getting the feeling that this is on instrument I really will need to try - and through my rig - before I buy

C

I can only assume the tube was an improvement (or why add it?) but TBH the old preamp sounds pretty damn DB-like. As a warning the preamp is fiendishly complex but allows you to set something like 18 preset tones - these were already done on my old one and I just selected the one that didn't feedback in the room and that sounded best for the accompaniment

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1322510518' post='1451905']
Anyone have any views/experience on the old (non-tube) pre-amp verses the newer tube version?
Chris
[/quote]
Mine (previously Clarky's) is the older preamp and, although I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, it seems fine. I think I read (probably on Badassbassplayers.com) that the Cool Tube preamp is a direct fit for about $400 if you want to replace it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322511243' post='1451930']
Mine (previously Clarky's) is the older preamp and, although I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, it seems fine. I think I read (probably on Badassbassplayers.com) that the Cool Tube preamp is a direct fit for about $400 if you want to replace it.
[/quote]

Dave, I owned it before Clarky and there was a user guide for the pre amp, did you not get it?