Why become a member? ×

Vintage Yamaha SG2000 with Original Hardshell Case (HD PHOTOS!!)

1981 Vintage Yamaha SG2000 with All Original 70's Features and Hardshell Case. (Les Paul Killer Classic)

Blackberry Photos (To be Upgraded): [url="http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y373/Schnozzalee/Music%20Gear/"]http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y373/S...e/Music%20Gear/[/url]

High Definition Photos: [url="http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y373/Schnozzalee/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ28"]http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y373/S...;cpZZ1QQtppZZ28[/url]

One of the much sought after guitars as designed by Yamaha and Santana in '76. As played by: Santana, Neil Schon (Journey), Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy), Bob Marley, Stuart Adamson (Big Country), Soren Andersen (Glenn Hughes Band), Bill Nelson (Beebop Deluxe) etc.

9.5/10 Condition. All original with no issues! However please read...

Inidication that its from the 70's:

3 Piece Maple Top Distinct to the Takabayashi Factory Originals.
Visible 20mm Maple Through Neck/Body Stripe.
Brown Plush Fur inside its Hardshell Case.
No coil tap option.
Truss Rod Cover - SG2000 not SG2000S.

Inidication that its from '81:

Serial Number begins with 0404 instead of 0044.

I have researched this model time and time again along with the kind help of BC's expert Noelk27 and the serial number has confused Yamaha's customer service also - The previous owner has assured me that it was bought in the year of '79 and no later. You won't lose money on my asking price anyway as a modern secondhand one goes for the same (at GUITAR GUITAR).

That aside...

Spec:

22 Fret Abalone chevron and Bound Ebony Fingerboard with uber low super quick action, 10 gauge strings, no fretbuzz, frets have been recently restoned with loads of play left in them. Double Cutaway for easy reach to the highest frets (SCREEEEEAM!!!)

3 Piece maple top in 'Red Burst' (Dark orange fade to Reddy Brown to match the mahogany), also Bound with engraved T-O-M Bridge etc. It also has Santana's brass sustain block underneath so notes ring and ring with a more natural tone and character than a fernandes sustainer pickup.

The thru neck body is 7 piece (mahog/mahog/mahog/maple/mahog/mahog/mahog) and there is a piece of maple in transition between the ebony fingerboard and the neck. It's build quality is impeccable earning its similar comparison to that of Gibson Custom Shop.

Two Pro Alnico V's, many people change these and then revert back to them realising Yamaha got it right the first time (They have not been changed on this guitar). They're akin to an SG's bright tone with piano-like clarity as opposed to the muddiness of a Les Paul...but still has the dense body to compensate for sustain and thickens up the tone considerably. A great lead style guitar (Santana).

I love this guitar, and this one doesn't weigh a tonne, its similar to a Les Paul and I use a wide guitar strap and can happily play it for 2 hours standing up AND I have a back injury from a tyre factory so rest assured.

REASON FOR SELLING: I traded this for the equivalent of £1300 of my previous gear predicting it to have a quick turn around (judging by Ebay) and be a sound stable investment, the fact that it was designed by one of my favourite guitarists and played by my parents No.1 Live Gig - Big Country - was only a bonus. I'm wanting to setup a guitar rig as I only have a small Marshall at current so money is needed.

[color="#FF0000"]£1300 collected.[/color]

Edited by Schnozzalee

SG2000 Review:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgApIkeImm0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgApIkeImm0...feature=related[/url]

SG2000 Review (Continued):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReNSnFiGXI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReNSnFiGXI[/url]

Santana:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLK5Hv_dM8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLK5Hv_dM8[/url]

Big Country:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I6QTipR03Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I6QTipR03Q...feature=related[/url]

Neil Schon (Santana then Journey):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD2AocNK5A8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD2AocNK5A8...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1250741' date='May 30 2011, 08:31 PM']Also weapon of choice of the late John McGeogh - my fave guitarist of the last 30 years.

Bump for a fabulous axe...... :)[/quote]

Thanks Greg :lol: , I'm ashamed to say i've never come across Siouxsie and the Banshees although I'm sure my sister has a CD somewhere if its Punk Rock :) - that's probably one of the best band names i've heard too! Upon further investigation, McGeogh's actually a very good source for soundclips of the rhythm tone as most people play lead style licks and phrasing on these guitars.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1252303' date='Jun 1 2011, 02:57 AM']Upon further investigation, McGeogh's actually a very good source for soundclips of the rhythm tone as most people play lead style licks and phrasing on these guitars.[/quote]

Nail on the head, and I was thinking more of his previous work with Magazine; never flashy, but wonderful tone and complemented the band sound rather than vice-versa. Saw them in '80 and his Yammy was just the same as yours.

Wish I had something to trade........ :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1253023' date='Jun 1 2011, 07:03 PM']Nail on the head, and I was thinking more of his previous work with Magazine; never flashy, but wonderful tone and complemented the band sound rather than vice-versa. Saw them in '80 and his Yammy was just the same as yours.

Wish I had something to trade........ :)[/quote]

I'm watching the 'Israel' performance from the '81 cologne gig now, he sure does love his pedals!! It's a very piano like guitar, and a great base for that if you have any. Think I've owned one pedal my entire life :) , needs to be run through my Boss DR-880 COSM effects :lol: .

Yeah its the most common 'Redburst', it looks very tasteful in the flesh (Amber to Crimson Red, Gold, Black and Tobacco White/Creme - I don't see Yellow) despite an online opinion describing it as 'clownburst and bling' haha! It also has a lightening quick neck and the (rolled?) binding helps a lot with adding your thumb to the root note of chords (I always check this when buying/trading) so its playability is top standard and finding harmonics is effortless :D .

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='noelk27' post='1254895' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:30 AM']And don't forget Andy Taylor, of Duran Duran fame.

Hey, maybe you can use a small amount of the sale price to invest in an SF next time you have an itch for something Yamaha, and six string![/quote]

And Frank Gambale with Billy Cobham!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF64qcwReMI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF64qcwReMI...feature=related[/url]

I liked Gambale's Stu Hamm years too, he's a fantastic player :)

Thanks again for the help Noel! I've jotted down the SF in my scrapbook, so its definately targeted for the future, I just got fed up of begging my coursemate to jam on the SG through his Blackstar HT20, can't have everything I guess... I just loved playing blue licks and finishing on a vibrato which lasted forever trying to show off to his housemates.

Still unsure about selling this one, I've had US interest i'm contemplating - i'm not a massive fan of overseas shipping but it could be going to an ex member of the J. Geils Band in a month or so if it doesn't evilbay.

ALSO!! I will consider Px's/Trades - its unlikely you'll find any joy but never say never. I would like some money for an amp please :)

Edited by Schnozzalee

Another devotee of the Yamaha SG2000 was Jake Burns of Stiff Little Fingers, when they were going originally. And listening to his work, I think he sounded much better when he was using his SG, rather than the ESP he uses nowadays.

These are amazing guitars, great tone/looks, and much better build quality, in my opinion, than a Les Paul.

Free BUMP on me!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1254990' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:17 AM']Another devotee of the Yamaha SG2000 was Jake Burns of Stiff Little Fingers, when they were going originally. And listening to his work, I think he sounded much better when he was using his SG, rather than the ESP he uses nowadays.

These are amazing guitars, great tone/looks, and much better build quality, in my opinion, than a Les Paul.

Free BUMP on me![/quote]

Thanks guys :) . I agree with you Lozz, thru neck always trumps set neck in my book! One week until I upload the hi definition photos, and threaten myself with Ebay. Going to look up Stiff Little Fingers now :)

• 2 weeks later...

My tuppenceworth by way of a bump for this classic. Am a fellow Yam owner and I reckon you're spot-on with 1981, as I had to do the same detective-work to ascertain the age of mine: serial numbers beginning 02 through to 05 denote 1981 for both SG1000 and 2000....and how likely is it that the fastidious Japanese manufacturers would misprint a serial number!
If you wanted to be as anal as I am(!), you could also have a squint at the stamps on the underside of the pickups: if there is the number 56, this would verify the year of manufacture to be 1981.
Absolutely best of with the sale old chap!

Edited by zigmondo

[quote name='zigmondo' post='1273926' date='Jun 18 2011, 05:22 PM']My tuppenceworth by way of a bump for this classic. Am a fellow Yam owner and I reckon you're spot-on with 1981, as I had to do the same detective-work to ascertain the age of mine: serial numbers beginning 02 through to 05 denote 1981 for both SG1000 and 2000....and how likely is it that the fastidious Japanese manufacturers would misprint a serial number!
If you wanted to be as anal as I am(!), you could also have a squint at the stamps on the underside of the pickups: if there is the number 56, this would verify the year of manufacture to be 1981.
Absolutely best of with the sale old chap![/quote]

Thanks Zigmondo! Thread amended :), the pickups do begin with the SG 56xxx, so i've put it up as an all original '81 comprised of the 70s model features - trust me to get the oddball :) but it sounds great for Skynyrd stuff, especially at the halfway house between an SG and a Les Paul :lol: . Its apples and oranges whether this or the Charvel Star goes as both do what I want but I still really really need that amp!! :D

Top man, glad mystery solved!
I have a feeling that some changes Yamaha introuduced might have been as "lawsuit repellents", particularly for models finding their way outside Japan, and that for guitars staying within Japan post-1980 there were a host of options as regards push/push coil-spits, "with-grain" 3-piece tops as opposed to earlier cross-grain centrepieces, single-piece tops, etc., That some earlier models have this, some later ones have that, only adds to the confusion(er sorry, "enigmatic mystery")...and attraction..of these. Am actually most grateful for seeing your ad, as I'm putting up my own 1980 tobacco-burst one shortly, and you confirm my assumption that price would seem about right(given that "value" is what a person will actually pay, an' all that). Every success Schnozz.

I've been a fan since seeing Steve Rothery of Marillion playing them live circa 1980 (pre-record deal days). Lovely guitars but I really don't need a 6 stringer now.

Good selling thread though - you certainly did your homework!

[quote name='Golchen' post='1276231' date='Jun 20 2011, 07:24 PM']I've been a fan since seeing Steve Rothery of Marillion playing them live circa 1980 (pre-record deal days). Lovely guitars but I really don't need a 6 stringer now.

Good selling thread though - you certainly did your homework![/quote]

Thanks Golchen, another new band to check out :) !!

Cheers again Zigmondo, I really think £1300 is a fair price for these to satisfy both parties, especially for a well looked after one! A second hand modern Les Paul Standard is normally £1100 and with the rise in Gibson's QC problems and their chambering which defeats the whole catching point of that particular guitars tone makes these ever more desirable. Their as good a Les Paul custom which fetches £1700 second hand makes it a no brainer!! And its still under the price of a new Les Paul Standard/Traditional and i'd pick an SG2000 over one everytime definately value for money. That said I still have a massive soft spot for 50's Gibson Custom Shop stuff but it'd be for home use only :) .

Just weighed this for those concerned and its exactly 4kg by the bathroom scales so about 8.8lbs - within Les Paul weight.

Had some fantastic pro equipment offers but i'm not really looking for amps over 50w, but I do also have something in mind so cash preferrable. I am moving soon so this will come down from sale for a fortnight or so while I sort things out.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='zigmondo' post='1273926' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:22 PM']My tuppenceworth by way of a bump for this classic. Am a fellow Yam owner and I reckon you're spot-on with 1981, as I had to do the same detective-work to ascertain the age of mine: serial numbers beginning 02 through to 05 denote 1981 for both SG1000 and 2000....and how likely is it that the fastidious Japanese manufacturers would misprint a serial number!
Absolutely best of with the sale old chap![/quote]
Serial numbers starting 02 first appeared in '80. Serial numbers staring 05 ran on into '82. Pickups stamped SG and 56 started in '80. So, now of those would be definitive for dating an SG2000.

I've edited my original reply as it was not too helpful, but do so to both attempt some sort of clarity for Schnozz here and any future SG-floggers, in which I'd include ourselves.
Noel, thanks, yes.
Yes, numbers beginning 02 did begin in 80...but ended with 024215; 0254 numbers began in 81: and, yep, there's a grey area in-betweeny. It also seems easier to be "more definite" from 1976 to 1980 to be precise with dates of both SG1000s and 2000s, than afterwards, do you agree? You're maybe working from the same database as me, so we're also saying, yes, 05 numbers ran into 82...but again, given that 1981 ended with 059618, and 1982 began with 059620, one can still thus be definitive.
Thing is, if a pickup has, say "SG 56 etc;" stamped on it, it will also have the month and day stamped on it too(I say this for other readers' benefit)
So, for example, if one's pups read SG 56 3 13 (for example), chances are they're made or at least stamped on 3rd March...and we're assuming 56 to be a 1981, again as chances are, but with your caveat that it might not be.
If one then has a squint at the guitar serial numbers for that year, then in most cases surely it is possible to cross-match: if one's pickups date-stamps marry up to one's body's serial number, then usually it is then feasible to be spot on with the year.
Yes, it's clear that serial numbers 024216-025409 seem to be unaccounted for in terms of whether they're 80 or 81...but I'd reckon that if the guitar had dated stamps with day, month and year, one could still make an educated guess...
The point with Our Schnozz's is that it's unlikely to be a 79, right? :)
Anyway, I'll shut up now, as I've stepped onto Schnozz's thread long enough. Thanks for sharpening me up Noel.

Edited by zigmondo

Thanks Noel and Zigmondo! After re-checking the full serial on the pickups its confirmed both the body and the humbuckers to 1981 according to the sourcing above :) , still mind boggling why its the '76-'79 build spec lol definately not 70's though a firm '81!!

SG 56522

Looks like I'll start my new band in just over week without an amp - only straight trade offers here!

• 2 weeks later...