Why become a member? ×

Bridge and pickup covers

zedcar

You see these a lot on vintage Fenders but I still for the life of me can't see the point of them (aside from the obvious damage protection).

Is there another blindingly obvious reason for them?

They'd get on my bloody nerves tbh.

[quote name='zedcar' post='14154' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:57 PM']You see these a lot on vintage Fenders but I still for the life of me can't see the point of them (aside from the obvious damage protection).

They'd get on my bloody nerves tbh.[/quote]

They look gorgeous!
I just fitted them to my all black maple fretboard P yesterday and it looks stunning. I actually found them really comfy too. I now play right in between the two covers with my thumb on the pickup cover and my pinkie on the bridge one. They came as a set with a thumb rest too but I don't think I'll need it. Plus they hide the fact that I have EMG's without pole pieces and a rusty bridge.

Ok, I have a question while we're on this topic;

I sometimes stick a sponge under the strings by the bridge on my Jazz as a mute - i've since bought an ashtray bridge cover which i've not yet fitted, but is there any easy way with the cover on to mute/unmute? I thought to glue the sponge to the inside of the cover, but then i don't want to screw on / un-screw the cover the whole time.

At the moment this is my one-size-fits-all bass otherwise i'd just stick flats on it now.

Any suggestions very welcomed.

(The other answer is to buy another bass in permanent retro-set up, but no room / funds yet....)

(photo with sponge attached)

I think the Neck Pup cover is quite handy to rest my hand on when slapping. Without it on i tend to mute the D+G strings. Prob down to my poor technique. Fingerstyle they are bit of a pain tho because i like to anchor my thumb on the neck pup when i play.

I think they look pretty cool too.

Nick

[quote name='ped' post='14221' date='Jun 8 2007, 02:56 PM']Lenny - Nice bass mate. Check out www.bassmute.com I have one on my jazz and it is superb.[/quote]

Cheers - that looks really interesting - i'll see if they can rig one to fit under the ashtray!

That's a MIJ '75 reissue in the photo. A friend of mine was working in Japan a while ago and picked it up for me. He's a very good guitarist, so I trusted him. He said he played a load and that one was particularly sweet. So much so that my Warwick's now up for sale, I hardly play it now!

[quote name='zedcar' post='14154' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:57 PM']You see these a lot on vintage Fenders but I still for the life of me can't see the point of them (aside from the obvious damage protection).

They'd get on my bloody nerves tbh.[/quote]

apparently they were put over the pickups to reduce electrical noise... on early models there's a small bit of wire that comes up from the pickup and is trapped between the cover and the body.

The bridge ones also had a wodge of rubber to mute the strings with.