Why become a member? ×

Importing Guitars

Dood

good one - if it was damaged in transit though, i assume you'd be properly bummed if you wanted to make a claim for any more than $400

[quote name='BassBunny' post='99240' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:13 PM']Nice one John and here is another solution from the Money Saving Guru. You get your own US address.
[url="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/best-buy-usa#web"]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/best-buy-usa#web[/url][/quote]
now that idea i like

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='106368' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:59 AM']good one - if it was damaged in transit though, i assume you'd be properly bummed if you wanted to make a claim for any more than $400[/quote]

Yea it was a stupid and terrifying risk. But thankfully it paid off. For my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to order a JB62-85FL Vintage White from Ishibashi, I'll post some info and pics when I've got it.

By the way.....anyone know if the pick guards are like a vintage brown or vintage red? I'm like a kid at christmas....brown, please be brown!!! :)

My daughter lives in the US and we are going to visit early March so I was thinking about bringing back a bass with me, taking into account the VAT & duty I think it would be worth it (I travel light BTW).

However I am thinking deeper. Looking at the classifieds on Talkbass I guess I will get a better deal with a used bass and am tempted to start making offers, getting it delivered to Phoenix to await my arrival and return. Anyone know where I stand on duty and VAT if I buy a used guitar and bring it back?

Thanks in anticipation!
Peter

[quote name='slazman' post='113782' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:57 PM']My daughter lives in the US and we are going to visit early March so I was thinking about bringing back a bass with me, taking into account the VAT & duty I think it would be worth it (I travel light BTW).

However I am thinking deeper. Looking at the classifieds on Talkbass I guess I will get a better deal with a used bass and am tempted to start making offers, getting it delivered to Phoenix to await my arrival and return. Anyone know where I stand on duty and VAT if I buy a used guitar and bring it back?

Thanks in anticipation!
Peter[/quote]

There is no difference between new and used. You still have to pay.

[quote name='slazman' post='113909' date='Jan 5 2008, 08:09 AM']OK I accept that but what do they base the charge on ... a Paypal invoice for example?[/quote]

If it's been shipped then Rev&Customs will base the charges on the value the seller has declared on the shipping docs. You have to be careful here as this effects the insurance. Underdeclare and you will be under-insured. One thing is for certain, they are not stupid. I bought an amp on eBay for a very good price and Customs would not clear it until they had seen a copy of the Paypal invoice.

If you are hand-carrying something back it is best to have the invoice receipt with you to prove value unless you are going to chance your arm. There are plenty of ideas here about how to try and dodge the duty.

[quote name='obbm' post='113929' date='Jan 5 2008, 10:24 AM']If you are hand-carrying something back it is best to have the invoice receipt with you to prove value unless you are going to chance your arm. There are plenty of ideas here about how to try and dodge the duty.[/quote]

Thanks ... I agree - I am hand carrying back and I will not chance my arm .... it brightens up their day to find someone who does!

[quote name='ped' post='114170' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:08 PM']Bacchus sent me a Happy New Year card! What a brilliant bunch they are.[/quote]
haha they know how to take care of their (*cof*paying*cof*) customers :)

BTW ped, been meaning to ask you - where do you reckon I should look at bacchus basses? any special contact?

also - have you ever tried an bass from the universe series? I reckon they're built either in china or korea, but they've got some BJB5 in a sort of translucent black I just find gorgeous...

Just got my JB62-85FL Vintage White this afternoon, more than happy with it. I paid for it 9th Jan, it was shipped 10th and arrived here 16th, can't complain at that!!!
Ishibashi were great to deal with, it came with owners manual, proof of purchase, gig bag, pick guard and another type of Fender satchel/shoulder bag. The packaging was very good indeed!

Didn't expect this but...it was delivered to my door and not in the usual Parcel Force van, in a car driven by a young lady. I thought I'd have to collect it from the depot as usual, so a nice little bonus there!

I paid 68,000 yen for the bass and 14,000 shipping and insurace, a total of 82,000 yen, at the time the exchange was £380.

I'll get some pics up if any Fender heads are interested.

Cheers
Jase.

[quote name='Jase' post='121468' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:03 PM']Just got my JB62-85FL Vintage White this afternoon, more than happy with it. I paid for it 9th Jan, it was shipped 10th and arrived here 16th, can't complain at that!!!
Ishibashi were great to deal with, it came with owners manual, proof of purchase, gig bag, pick guard and another type of Fender satchel/shoulder bag. The packaging was very good indeed!

Didn't expect this but...it was delivered to my door and not in the usual Parcel Force van, in a car driven by a young lady. I thought I'd have to collect it from the depot as usual, so a nice little bonus there!

I paid 68,000 yen for the bass and 14,000 shipping and insurace, a total of 82,000 yen, at the time the exchange was £380.

I'll get some pics up if any Fender heads are interested.

Cheers
Jase.[/quote]

Yet another happy customer!! ;o) Good news there chap! Nice one.

[quote name='Sibob' post='124648' date='Jan 21 2008, 02:37 PM']Don't suppose anyone knows the deal with buying off Ebay from Australia?

Is it the same import/handling/VAT situation as USA?

Need to know within 20 hours lol

Cheers
Si[/quote]

Perhaps try the HMRC website mentioned in one of the earlier threads?

[quote name='Sibob' post='124648' date='Jan 21 2008, 02:37 PM']Don't suppose anyone knows the deal with buying off Ebay from Australia?

Is it the same import/handling/VAT situation as USA?

Need to know within 20 hours lol

Cheers
Si[/quote]
In my country (Portugal) there's no difference..so I suppose it should be the same for you! :)

[quote name='setekh' post='116654' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:04 PM']haha they know how to take care of their (*cof*paying*cof*) customers :)

BTW ped, been meaning to ask you - where do you reckon I should look at bacchus basses? any special contact?

also - have you ever tried an bass from the universe series? I reckon they're built either in china or korea, but they've got some BJB5 in a sort of translucent black I just find gorgeous...[/quote]

Hi mate sorry I have just seen your questions.

Bacchus sent me another parcel today which was exciting. Inside I found..... a stack of 2008 Bacchus catalogues!

Aki Shiokawa is the marketing man I think - we have exchanged many emails and he is a complete legend. His email address is aki-shiokawa AT deviser.co.jp so if you are looking for anything in particular drop him a line - tell him I sent you ;0)

I have never played the Universe series basses but they look superb. Got to be worth a shot at the prices I would think. I think they are made in Korea.

Other than that, I keep em' peeled on the Ishibashi U-Box to be honest - when I really wanted a Bacchus 24f I emailed Aki and he found me one.

Cheers mate
ped

[quote name='ped' post='125120' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:14 PM']Hi mate sorry I have just seen your questions.

Bacchus sent me another parcel today which was exciting. Inside I found..... a stack of 2008 Bacchus catalogues!

Aki Shiokawa is the marketing man I think - we have exchanged many emails and he is a complete legend. His email address is aki-shiokawa AT deviser.co.jp so if you are looking for anything in particular drop him a line - tell him I sent you ;0)

I have never played the Universe series basses but they look superb. Got to be worth a shot at the prices I would think. I think they are made in Korea.

Other than that, I keep em' peeled on the Ishibashi U-Box to be honest - when I really wanted a Bacchus 24f I emailed Aki and he found me one.

Cheers mate
ped[/quote]
no problem! :)

thanks for the e-mail address - he'll be hearing from me soon, I hope! :huh:

I'll keep my eyes on the U-box too!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' post='114170' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:08 PM']Bacchus sent me a Happy New Year card! What a brilliant bunch they are.[/quote]

Smart Marketing 101. "Be nice to your existing custome for he will return and he's a hell of a lot easier to sell to thn a new one."

[quote name='OldGit' post='135517' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:38 AM']Shame. Did you get yours?[/quote]

Yes I did, a 62 Jazz fretless vintage white( needs to be given to Dave for an epoxy job :) ) and Ishibashi provided a great service :huh: Just made it in time I think, about a week after it arrived people started talking about the end of non exports.

Just wondering if Guitar Emporium and Far East Guitars will be affected????

[quote name='Jase' post='135782' date='Feb 7 2008, 02:36 PM']Yes I did, a 62 Jazz fretless vintage white( needs to be given to Dave for an epoxy job :) ) and Ishibashi provided a great service :huh: Just made it in time I think, about a week after it arrived people started talking about the end of non exports.

Just wondering if Guitar Emporium and Far East Guitars will be affected????[/quote]

FEG seems to only have used ones ... GE seem to be unaffected (according to their .. hummm, somewhat challenging website)
It bugs me that corperations can do that. Like Sam Ash and other US stores not being allowed to ship to the UK

• ped unpinned this topic