247 replies to this topic

#31 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:02 AM

John, go here and everything is explained: http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

Let us know how you get on. They are usually very fast to reply.

#32 john_the_bass

Leicester Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:This, that and t'other

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

cool cheers ped.
i like your fancy avatar

#33 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Member since BassWorld v.1

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yup.. my contact is called Hiroaki and is contactable by the email address on the links given. Absolutely top business!!

#34 paul, the

meister poster affe schlampe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:59 PM

View PostDarcy, on May 20 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

Very dangrous site, lots of things sparking GAS attack

Attachment Telebass.jpg

Never seen one of these before.....interesting :huh: Semi Telebass 70's neckbucker and jazz at bridge, wonder what that sounds like?

Wow. :)

That's just lovely.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

~Plato

#35 paul, the

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

Alas, no reply on the strings thread. Here's a more appropriate place.

View Postpaul, the, on Jun 2 2007, 03:24 PM, said:

Oh, quick question for anyone:
What's the lower limit on importing from outside the EU?
A set of strings costing £29 (that's with postage) from America, would they charge duty/customs/whatever?
Cheers,

Paul.

Thank you,

paul.

Edited by paul, the, 03 June 2007 - 03:05 PM.

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

~Plato

#36 tarelli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

There's another way of importing a Japanese Fender which is more fun...go there & get it yourself!

I live in Ibiza & I'm learning the bass. I went to visit a friend in Tokyo last month. I went window shopping & found that all the guitar shops are in the same area... & there are lots. I just couldn't resist the temptation & bought a Jazz in sunburst to replace my cheapo Chinese-made Shine.

In round figures it cost 250 euros. Getting it into Spain cost another 50 euros...16% IVA (VAT) & small admin fee, 300 euros in total. That's about 200 quid.

The guys in the shop were very helpful & threw in a fender gig bag, a stand & a tuner.

The bass weighs 5 kilos & my belt & braces packaging weighed another 2.5. It survived the baggage throwers without a mark. I had to throw away a few clothes to keep within the 20k allowance but it was worth it. Air France would have charged me 30 euros per kilo excess.

I can't take it back to the dealer if there's a problem but one of my friends here is a 1st class tech.

Now's a good time to visit Japan. The Yen's very low & the Japan railpass is a real bargain. Food & accommodation needn't be expensive. Enjoy the trip & bring back a souvenir.

Now I've just got to practice!

Attached Files

#37 jay249

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

I might splash out on one of these this week, my 70's jazz is now becoming painfully heavy for live stuff!
Posted Image
and put an east in it

yes
yes

and maybe some bartolini's...

*teeee heee*

#38 The Burpster

Schrödinger's catfood........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Bikes, Guns, Golf....using every 24 hours wisely!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

View Postpaul, the, on Jun 3 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

Alas, no reply on the strings thread. Here's a more appropriate place.
Thank you,

paul.

Paul, I've not been charged yet for strings. Normally buy 2 or threes sets at at time and they are sent in an envelope. Try to keep the value under abut $50 and they dont normally bother.... IME.
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob

#39 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

My new bass was shipped today so will be with me soon. Aki at bacchus is the necest bloke ever, he sent it before the payment has cleared (it takes barclays 5 bleedin days!) all he wanted to see was the signed invoice and payment slip. What a legend.

#40 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

+1 for going to Japan and buying one there.

Just make sure that what ever you buy is unavailable/very difficult to get in your home country. I've picked up guitars (a Tokai Talbo Jr and a Yamaha EZEG) on my last two visits, and was able to bring both home as carry on luggage and no duty either! Japan is a wonderful place to visit and if you know what you're doing it needed be very expensive at all. It helps if you have contacts in Japan to help you around as occasionally some things become too difficult for foreigners...

I'm off to look at some Japanese custom builders on my next trip (hopefully in 2008)

Posted Image

#41 jay249

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Change of plan! placed my order today for a jb75 100
...A 75 style jazz bass in 3t sunburst with a maple 'fingerplate'
'a tone cooking stove', some might say.

#42 Toasted

The Funny One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

Let us know how it goes!
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

#43 cetera

Blue-Veined Custard-Chucking Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

Just received a bass from Japan. 5 days door to door with EMS shipping.

A lot easier/faster/cheaper than buying from the US! :)

Proud 'SPECTOR' & 'CORT' endorsee

Posted Image

Leather And Lace - The Classic Rock Anthems & Power Ballads Show
Dressed To Kill - The KISS Tribute
Dressed To Kill - Facebook

My Feedback thread
"I don't like Scientology. I'm not even a fan of stupidity when it isn't evil."

#44 jay249

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

My order's been taken and it will be shipped today! I can't wait because the 5 hour rehearsal last night really took it out of my back

#45 Tee

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Got hold of my new bass today, although it had been sitting in the depot for a few days (damn customs charges). Still, it's a bass (issue) i've never seen in a shop in this country. It's US too, so it's done a round the world trip: California --> Japan --> UK. I'll post a thread and pics once i get it home etc

#46 Toasted

The Funny One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

I can't wait for pics. Whoop!
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

#47 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Here's a quick tip -

Once you have been given your EMS tracking number (E*****************JP) enter it on te parcel force website for a more detailed breakdown of the process. As soon as the parcel is said to be 'sorting at depot' just go and get it yourself - in my experience they tend to send you a letter saying they want you to come and get it about 2/3 days after this.

#48 cetera

Blue-Veined Custard-Chucking Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

View Postped, on Jul 11 2007, 11:48 AM, said:

Here's a quick tip -

Once you have been given your EMS tracking number (E*****************JP) enter it on te parcel force website for a more detailed breakdown of the process. As soon as the parcel is said to be 'sorting at depot' just go and get it yourself - in my experience they tend to send you a letter saying they want you to come and get it about 2/3 days after this.

That's exactly what I did. As soon as it hit my local depot I simply turned up with the tracking number and some personal ID, paid the customs charge and went home VERY satisfied! :)

Proud 'SPECTOR' & 'CORT' endorsee

Posted Image

Leather And Lace - The Classic Rock Anthems & Power Ballads Show
Dressed To Kill - The KISS Tribute
Dressed To Kill - Facebook

My Feedback thread
"I don't like Scientology. I'm not even a fan of stupidity when it isn't evil."

#49 paul, the

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Have Fender Japan ever done a RI Jazz (Bootsy Style) - with three-tone sunburst, tort pg, block inlays and binding?

Do they sell them with ashtrays...case?

Akin to:

Posted Image

Cheers,

paul.

View PostThe Burpster, on Jul 2 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

Paul, I've not been charged yet for strings. Normally buy 2 or threes sets at at time and they are sent in an envelope. Try to keep the value under abut $50 and they dont normally bother.... IME.

Thanks Bob, I keep forgetting that upper limit.

Edited by paul, the, 11 July 2007 - 05:23 PM.

~Plato

#50 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Interests:Music (obvs).

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

View Postpaul, the, on Jul 11 2007, 06:19 PM, said:

Have Fender Japan ever done a RI Jazz (Bootsy Style) - with three-tone sunburst, tort pg, block inlays and binding?

Akin to:

i dunno but i do have a japaneese bass that used to look exactly like that, but then some idiot lost the neck p/u cover and an even bigger idiot decided it would look better in DAYGLO green :)
EH

#51 Tee

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

View Postpaul, the, on Jul 11 2007, 06:19 PM, said:

The JB75-94US range comes with ashtrays, binding etc. I think i've seen it in 3TS. THese are only about £317

Posted ImagePosted Image

or

The JB75-100US range is as you described, minus the the tort guard and ashtray. You'd have to do it yourself. These are about £338

http://1484.bz/yokoh...ct.cgi?id=16246

#52 jay249

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:41 AM

Thats exactly what I have on order, but with a maple neck!
It's in coventry currently, I'm gonna go get it locally as soon as it arrives!

#53 paul, the

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

View PostTee, on Jul 13 2007, 09:15 AM, said:

The JB75-94US range comes with ashtrays, binding etc. I think i've seen it in 3TS. THese are only about £317

Posted ImagePosted Image

or

The JB75-100US range is as you described, minus the the tort guard and ashtray. You'd have to do it yourself. These are about £338

http://1484.bz/yokoh...ct.cgi?id=16246

Thanks for the help! Obviously my Isihbashi navigation skills have more to be desired as I never found that yokohama site. I'm surprised the specs I described are in such short supply - I always thought that was the most stylised Jazz bass. I guess I'm wrong.

View PostEdwardHimself, on Jul 12 2007, 09:00 AM, said:

i dunno but i do have a japaneese bass that used to look exactly like that, but then some idiot lost the neck p/u cover and an even bigger idiot decided it would look better in DAYGLO green :)

What make is it? I've been considering going down the copy route for the vintage mojo and..well.. the hunt. I know Ibanez did one - although I don't like the finish. Pan did one (who's Pan?). Greco did one - I think, and is the one I'm most hankering for, although I haven't seen one in the finish I'm after. Also Aria Pro did one, which I quite fancy also.

Wish me luck.

View Postjay249, on Jul 16 2007, 06:41 AM, said:

Thats exactly what I have on order, but with a maple neck!
It's in coventry currently, I'm gonna go get it locally as soon as it arrives!

The Wailers' bassist (Aston Barrett) used that bass .

I wonder what amp he used.

Posted Image

Edited by paul, the, 16 July 2007 - 04:22 PM.

~Plato

#54 paul, the

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=4

:)

I could do it if I was left-handed.

~Plato

#55 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

View Postped, on Jul 11 2007, 11:48 AM, said:

Here's a quick tip -

Mee too! Ishibashi were there all the way too. Great service, can't recommend them enough.

#56 mr_russ

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

does anyone have a review of the 70's reissue fender japan jazz basses?
I may buy one from ishibashi - I've got an audere j preamp arriving very soon and no bass for it to go in!

r

#57 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

I can tell you about my Ishibashi (non export) 70's P bass, if thats any help (PB70US model, not PB70).

#58 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

View Postpaul, the, on Jul 16 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

What make is it? I've been considering going down the copy route for the vintage mojo and..well.. the hunt. I know Ibanez did one - although I don't like the finish. Pan did one (who's Pan?). Greco did one - I think, and is the one I'm most hankering for, although I haven't seen one in the finish I'm after. Also Aria Pro did one, which I quite fancy also.

it's made by "cloumbus." no i haven't heard of them either. it was made in the 1970's
EH

#59 paul, the

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

View PostEdwardHimself, on Jul 19 2007, 02:07 PM, said:

it's made by "cloumbus." no i haven't heard of them either. it was made in the 1970's

Quite a few BassChatters have been through them at one point or another. What do you think of the bass?

~Plato

#60 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

well it's very heavy, but i'm pretty sure it's agood thing in terms of tone, IMO, it sounds brilliant. It's got a really nice sweet tone with some lovely upper mids and highs, if i play too hard it does tend to click much louder then i'd like it to so i usually have to clamp my finger on the bridge pickup instead and i would like a bit of a higher output, but if your not a crazy bitch with a beard like me who likes to give the strings a good hard tug then it should be fine. In terms of playing, this bass doesn't exactly play itself! but it's not terribly difficult to play, infact i think i'm just not used to fender string spacing anyway really. I dunno you would have to see for yourself, good ones are probably about £100-£200. Ones that don't work are probably cheaper.
EH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users