Why become a member? ×

Fender Prodigy Bass (USA built in 1991 I think ?)

Nostromo

Hi,

Ive just picked up a Fender Prodigy Bass . . . from the serial number it looks like it was made in 1991, so about 20 years old.

Id say its in almost Mint condition, no fret wear whatsoever, and no marks or dings other than an almost invisible hairline crack in the finish under the E string and a tiny, less than a pea sized, 1mm depresion in the back of the headstock, which again is almost un-noticable.

Ive looked on the internet and there's lots of info on the 6 string Prodigy, which was a sort of 90's "super Strat" guitar. But hardly any info on this Prodigy Bass model, which, in a similar vein I would describe as a sort of "super Jazz" . . if you get what I mean ?

The bass has a slab style slightly cut down Jazz Shape body with just a simple front contour, super slim fast Jazz style neck (which I love and is why I bought it). It has a slightly narrow looking Jazz style headstock. The logo on the headstock says "Made in USA". It has active electronics with dual concentric controls. See picture attached.

Anyway, I cant seem to find anything out about this model at all, so if any of you fender bass guru's out there could enlighten me about this bass or offer any info about the background to this model and how its now considered in terms of value and collectability then I'd be very interested to hear ? ? ?

Also would be interesting to know what the original fender model code was for this bass . . . that might help me google more info on it ? ?

[attachment=81727:Prodigy.jpg]

Edited by Nostromo

All I can find in my Fender book is an active Precision Bass Plus which looks similiar to yours has the same font on the headstock and was manufactured in the early 90's along with a Jazz Bass Plus. Sorry I can't help you more.

[quote name='gjones' post='1256425' date='Jun 4 2011, 01:10 PM']All I can find in my Fender book is an active Precision Bass Plus which looks similiar to yours has the same font on the headstock and was manufactured in the early 90's along with a Jazz Bass Plus. Sorry I can't help you more.[/quote]

Thanks for that gjones, I remember the Precision Bass Plus being mentioned in one of the few bits of info I have been able to trawl up from Google relating to the Prodigy Bass. I've spotted a Prodigy Bass for sale on USA ebaY but its got a pick guard and three control knobs so Im not even sure that it's the same model as mine ?

Anyway hope its worth bumping this up just the once in the hope that it catches the eye of someone who may be knowledgable on these ?

Cheers,

:)

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1256397' date='Jun 4 2011, 12:33 PM']Anyway, I cant seem to find anything out about this model at all, so if any of you fender bass guru's out there could enlighten me about this bass or offer any info about the background to this model and how its now considered in terms of value and collectability then I'd be very interested to hear ? ? ?

[attachment=81727:Prodigy.jpg][/quote]

Well, I believe it was made with Mexican made hardware and finished in the US though I am not certain.

Its worth what people will pay for it. I saw one go for £190 a few months back on Ebay. It would only go higher if two people got into a bidding war.

Collectability, not very much its just not a desirable Fender as it falls between the traditional and "Out there" catagory.

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1256397' date='Jun 4 2011, 12:33 PM']Hi,

Ive just picked up a Fender Prodigy Bass . . . from the serial number it looks like it was made in 1991, so about 20 years old.

Id say its in almost Mint condition, no fret wear whatsoever, and no marks or dings other than an almost invisible hairline crack in the finish under the E string and a tiny, less than a pea sized, 1mm depresion in the back of the headstock, which again is almost un-noticable.

Ive looked on the internet and there's lots of info on the 6 string Prodigy, which was a sort of 90's "super Strat" guitar. But hardly any info on this Prodigy Bass model, which, in a similar vein I would describe as a sort of "super Jazz" . . if you get what I mean ?

The bass has a slab style slightly cut down Jazz Shape body with just a simple front contour, super slim fast Jazz style neck (which I love and is why I bought it). It has a slightly narrow looking Jazz style headstock. The logo on the headstock says "Made in USA". It has active electronics with dual concentric controls. See picture attached.

Anyway, I cant seem to find anything out about this model at all, so if any of you fender bass guru's out there could enlighten me about this bass or offer any info about the background to this model and how its now considered in terms of value and collectability then I'd be very interested to hear ? ? ?

Also would be interesting to know what the original fender model code was for this bass . . . that might help me google more info on it ? ?

[attachment=81727:Prodigy.jpg][/quote]

Hi. :)

Just found this. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRODIGY-ACTIVE-BASS-1991-MADE-USA-/150614154649?pt=Guitar&hash=item23114d9d99"]Prodigy for sale[/url]

I had an Urge 1 with Vol and Pan on one stack and Bass & Treble on the other. [url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/09/fender-urge-1-stu-hamm.html"]Urge 1[/url]
Active bass that was very nice - the head on yours looks close to the Urge,
Sold it to a BCer. Lovely bass.

Yours with a "P" at the neck, would have a bit more grunt.
Not seen many of these around.

Cheers. :)

Just found the following via a google search which looks like a fender spec sheet cut and paste for this model:-

Model Name: U.S. Prodigy Bass (Active Preamp)
Model Number: 014-4200 [color="red"]*see below[/color]
Series: U.S. Prodigy Series
Body: Poplar
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood
No. of Frets: 20
Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.625” (41 mm) [color="red"]*see below[/color]
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Standard
Bridge: Standard
Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
Pickups: 1 Standard Precision Bass Pickup (Mid), 1 Standard Jazz Bass Pickup (Bridge)
Pickup Switching: Pan Pot
Controls: Master Volume/Pan Pot, Treble Boost/Cut Bass Boost/Cut
Colors: (702) Lake Placid Blue,
(706) Black,
(725) Crimson Red Metallic,
(780) Arctic White (Polyurethane Finish)
Strings: Dynamaxx 1200L
Unique Features: Active Preamp
Source: U.S. [color="red"]*see below[/color]
Accessories: Case, Strap, Cable
U.S. MSRP: $599.99 in 1991, $649.99 in 1993
Specs: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice
INTRODUCED: 1991
DISCONTINUED: 1993

[color="red"]*[/color] Couple of things to note . . . . This spec sheet says the nut width is 1.625" (41mm) . . . well my example definitely has a 1.5" (38mm) nut which is clearly original the neck hasnt had any work done on it at all.

014 in the model code ? . . . I know 013 designates USA manufactured instruments, but am not sure about 014 ? . . has anyone posted up a data sheet on basschat identifying which code numbers relate to which country of origin/manufacture for fenders ?

Interesting to note that the spec data says "Source: US" . . doesn’t say made in the US. So I think that backs up the rumour and Flat Eric's comment that they were assembled and finished in the USA from components, some of which (ie the body for sure I've read) were manufactured in Mexico. I think fender did that with several models in the 90's, maybe thats what the 014 in the model code is telling us ?

Well . . . that’s the latest info I've found . . . any more pearls of wisdom on these very much appreciated.

Would be particularly nice to know if they were used by any notable players and any such pics would be interesting ?

Have to say it’s a really comfortable and playable bass. Very easy to play and most Jazz bass players would find the neck ok I think. . . . a bit Geddy Lee I would describe it as, ie slim and fast . . . as for Styling ! . . well I guess it is what it is from a styling point of view, I quite like it but I can see why it wouldn't have caught on with traditionalists when it came out in the 90's cus it does look a bit like a bass version of a super strat so to speak ! !

Tone wise I've just been playing it (quietly to only moderately loud) through my SWR500/Demeter 2x12 rig (so no really loud playing analysis here) and first impression is that its slightly brighter than ether my Power Jazz Bass Special or my Mex Fender Active P Bass Special, which are the two guitars I’ve A/B'd it against. I think there is a lot of mid range in the pre amp balance . . . the bottom end is there ok but you’ve got to experiment and dial it in as its quite bright if you set all the controls to their mid/neutral position, and, if as many of us do we start with all the knobs cranked to ten, then yea it is a very bright sound you start with, but it stays nice as you roll the top/mid off to expose a bit more of the bottom end which is there ok.

Nice bass . . . dont see many of them about . . . so for me this one's a keeper for thre time being !

:)

Edited by Nostromo