Why become a member? ×

Stellartone ToneStyler for bass

Nostromo

Just watched an intersting Youtube clip by a guy who's upgraded the tone control on his P Bass Special with a Stellartone unit . . . I'm not at all sure how it works exactly but he's fitted it in alongside (rather than in place of) the stock tone control. About all I know about it is that its a passive tone pot that sits under the scratchplate ?

I just went on the website of the company that makes and sells these but they are currently sold out . . . indicating that demand must be exceeding supply ? . . . . maybe these are good ?

anyone have any experiance of this Stellartone upgrade ?

Cheers

Edited by Nostromo

Yup, I've used them on a couple of basses and it's not snake oil - they really do offer some serious tonal variety. Try to get the one with the [i]detentes[/i], i.e. the clicks as you move from tone to tone, since it's a lot easier to remember where a particularly good sound lies.

One thing to watch for is allowing ham-fisted friends to use a bass with a ToneStyler. If they twist the tone knob too enthusiastically, they can twist it half off the shaft ... not good.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257284' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:12 PM']Yup, I've used them on a couple of basses and it's not snake oil - they really do offer some serious tonal variety. Try to get the one with the [i]detentes[/i], i.e. the clicks as you move from tone to tone, since it's a lot easier to remember where a particularly good sound lies.

One thing to watch for is allowing ham-fisted friends to use a bass with a ToneStyler. If they twist the tone knob too enthusiastically, they can twist it half off the shaft ... not good.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice . . . . I will keep a look out for one . . . there appear to be several models on the web page . . not to sure which one is the Bass one ?

Also looked on ebaY but again cant deduce if there is anything for a bass guitar on there ?

Thanks again

:)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Great to see these on sale here now, I bought mine from the states at great expence some years ago. but worth it, I can honestly say I will fit one or two of these to my next passive bass. Because they are made up from many different capacitors at each notch position you can really find the right tone for your pickup. hence I would like to try a tone/tone volume config rather than the usual vol/vol/tone

There's a guy in Scotland now making a much cheaper alternative. Not so many 'sounds' IIRC, but the truth is that a lot of the sounds from the Stellartone are of course quite similar.

Might be worth a quick Google.

Got it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-position-VARITONE-switch-for-guitar-and-bass-/251778084429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9f24ae4d

Edited by Happy Jack