Why become a member? ×

Artisan EUB

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1257279' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:08 PM']Anyone had any experience of these? There's one on ebay at the moment but I can't find much details on reading around.

Considering it as it's around the £250 mark at the moment and it's in my home town of Chester where I'm headed next weekend anyway to see the folks.[/quote]

I used to have one of these a few years ago, and ended up trading it on here. it was around 3/4 size and sounded more EUB than DB, but it was a good first step into the world of DB, I was almost tempted to bid but I need my cash for other things. The body is some kind of hardboard that could almost have been moulded rather then shaped, all IIRC

I did one gig with it, and heard someone from the crowd say "what the f**** that?" when we took to the stage :)

I found a thread elsewhere that says they used to be the ones Harley Benton branded as their own before they moved to the Palatino style one they use at the moment.

Thanks for your prompt reply, I might bid on it and see how it goes. My only other EUB reference is Palatino but there's a folding Bassix for sale on here and I'm torn between giving the Artisan a spin or holding out for the Bassix.

Made a decision and won it, will collect it next weekend hopefully and put some more details on here in the hope it will help anyone looking for info for it.

Edit:- any suggestions as to string choices or cheapish bows? For the strings, something fairly low tension that can do piz or arc and work with whatever pickup the bass has.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

It's missing an E but I've got a spirocore on the way from Ben Bastin on here so I'll see how I get on before I order anymore thanks. I also need to know what kind of pickup configuration it has and what strings I could use but a few weeks of living with the bass should give me a better idea. My guitarist will hate it, he thought the Palatino was ugly and this is more unusual.

Picking it up this weekend and will keep my eyes on here and ebay (if I have to) for an alright bow.

OK, it's been collected and I see what you mean. It's entry level to be sure but it all works. Biggest problem right now is the nut which seems to need some work. The D is raised by some wood shoved into the slot and the A is very close to the fretboard just after the nut, so close I doubt I could get all but the thinnest of plectrums in there. It's also missing the low E which will be sorted once my spirocore arrives. I'm guessing it's a transducer pickup under the bridge as I can't see anything else which is good, as I guess I'm not limited to steel strings.

Same control layout as the Palatino (which I'll keep referring to as it's the only other EUB I've played,) volume and tone knobs, headphone jack and instrument out jack, battery compartment and on/off switch. There are marks on the neck from one of the previous owners, presumably to aid with finger positioning although they don't seem to actually relate to anything in the case of the ones nearest the headstock. I'm resisting the urge to mark the frets for myself so I get better at doing it by feel and hearing rather than sight. It's a lot more work on the left hand than I thought at first, especially if I use proper DB fingering but I'm taking it slow to build up strength.

Here's a picture:-
[attachment=82595:IMGP0277.JPG]

And here's a very brief soundclip of me attempting to play a bit of 'The Apollo Program Was a Hoax' by Refused to give you an idea of the basic sound. A bit of compression (Reapers Realcomp) and a free amp simulator (Acme Bar Gig Shred set to the bass preset.)

[attachment=82596:EUB.mp3]

Anplugged, it a bit louder than the Palatino thanks to the semi hollow body I guess.