Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Wireless??

mr.sibs

A good friend of mine is playing in a rockabilly band and he plays a full size double, he has just purchased a new pickup, not sure of the make but it apparently clips on under the bridge and has a stereo output. He is quite an active player and spins around, but is worried about the pickup being pulled out and he is thinking about a wireless system that will be suited for this. It obviously has to be something compact, and have a good low frequency response, does anyone use one and could recommended anything?? thanks

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='146162' date='Feb 24 2008, 09:14 PM']cool il check those out[/quote]

just a quick reply , i also play rockabilly , i use a k&k rockabilly pick-up system and because im always snapping leads , i went for the samson airline wireless, i noticed i was losing a small amount of tone through this but not enough to spoil anything also a little bit of tweaking at the amp made up for this,

hope this helps
kev

I use an elderly Nady system (I've got a 101 and a 201, in fact). Couldn't notice much difference in tone A/Bing them with decent leads, and they're 173MHz, so they're in the license-free band. Obsolete but cheap if they ever come up on SOS or ebay. Power supply lead breaks at the jack plug, put a replacement jack plug on (with correct polarity!) and you're off for another 20 years...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='146091' date='Feb 24 2008, 06:24 PM']..... and has a stereo output.[/quote]

I'd be surprised if it is a true stereo output. I have a Bob Golihur K&K set which is made up of two different pickups, hence a stereo socket, one feed per pickup.

On mine, it came with a belt mounted preamp that then mixes the two into a mono out. If this is the case with his, I'd be tempted to get something like that before the wireless bit? One RF channel is usually cheaper than 2?

It might be a bit more cumbersome I guess.