Why become a member? ×

Kent Armstrong pickups.

Musky

They do precision pickups at quite a good price, and I've read the odd comment on various boards about how great they sound but I'm slightly worried that if they really are so good why more people aren't shouting about them.

They're British, so I can understand that maybe they haven't made much of a name for themselves in the US. But has anyone had any direct experience of them on a precision, or any other bass for that matter.

Edited by Musky

My Sei has a pair of custom-wound Kent Armstrongs in it - Aaron Armstrong will wind pickups to your specifications. I specified a 70s-style MM pickup for the bridge, and a 5-string P pickup in a 40DC-sized casing for the neck. They sound great - thick, punchy and clear, and they capture the essence of the tones I was after.

Highly recommended - they're vastly underrated pickups. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='14441' date='Jun 9 2007, 12:25 AM']They do precision pickups at quite a good price, and I've read the odd comment on various boards about how great they sound but I'm slightly worried that if they really are so good why more people aren't shouting about them.

They're British, so I can understand that maybe they haven't made much of a name for themselves in the US. But has anyone had any direct experience of them on a precision, or any other bass for that matter.[/quote]
Yep, got one of theirs in my Aria Pro2 SB. Great company, great product.
Thassit.

There are various forms - the custom/hand made ones Kent used to make in the UK (now in the sates) and Aaron still makes here, and the Korean (?) ones that WD sell. All are great and the fender style ones are very useful for projects on a budget. I've seen pictures of very expensive Carl Thompson basses fitted with KA soapbars...always seemed a bit odd to me, given that here in the UK they seem like budget models.

I recently sold a Pbass fitted with a £30 KA and the new owner is still raving about the sound...six months later.

BB

Thanks Bass Bod for the information about the KA's that WD music sells..
Can anyone confirm they're Korean? I'm thinking I made the right choice with the Bill Lawrence EB60 though, so I can take the KA's off my to buy list!!!
Bass players on a budget are a very thorough lot eh?

• 1 month later...

I think BeLow, my compatriot from the UK, makes a very useful suggestion to contact KA and ask them to suggest a suitable pickup. I did exactly that while KA himself was still here in the UK. I spoke to KA personally and found him exceptionally helpful. I took his advice and was very pleased indeed with the result. The pickup is the very best of its type that I have ever used. It replaced a stock pickup on a Fender and was superior to what Fender had put on. I have taken it off and tried other pickups including Seymour Duncan and even a Custom Shop Fender pickup but the Kent Armstrong went back on and now stays there as a permanent fixture. Having been through that whole learning curve I am able to give an enthusiatic endorsement of the product BUT it would still be possible to buy the wrong KA pickup for your needs so I really do recommend that you speak to someone at KA - you may even be able to speak to KA himself.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='42876' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:15 PM']Bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t that Status pups are made by Aaron.[/quote]

Check out the Statii forum and read reviews on the Strata.

I have a Strata myself and Rob Green confirmed that the pus were made by KA in the early days.

Hope this helps.

Wil

FWIW, Andy at [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk"]Wizard Pickups[/url] used to be Kent Armstrong's UK operation. He learned his trade under Kent (so to speak).

Neither me or my guitarist will go anywhere but Wizard for pickups again. He's a genius, and can offer loads of advice re: what's best for you. Give 'im a try.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='42887' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:34 PM']FWIW, Andy at [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk"]Wizard Pickups[/url] used to be Kent Armstrong's UK operation. He learned his trade under Kent (so to speak).

Neither me or my guitarist will go anywhere but Wizard for pickups again. He's a genius, and can offer loads of advice re: what's best for you. Give 'im a try.[/quote]

WOT, sent you a PM about Wizards mate
Chris

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='14509' date='Jun 9 2007, 08:43 AM']I've bought their soapbars in the past, as Russ says they're very underrated and good value for money.[/quote]

plus the one - i bought a KA soapbar for my self-build bass, but i sold it to a friend and we fitted it in a westone bass he was upgrading.

sounded amazing :)

very fat and defined...i'd deffo use them again

[quote name='Musky' post='14441' date='Jun 9 2007, 12:25 AM']... has anyone had any direct experience of them on a precision, or [i][b]any other bass[/b][/i] for that matter.[/quote]
Before my Wal Pro was upgraded to the Custom electrics & while it was still passive Kent Armstrong built a pup to fit in a Wal housing and I had that installed. It certainly did the trick for me until Pete installed the actives a few years later on.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='BargyBass' post='14545' date='Jun 9 2007, 10:48 AM']Thanks Bass Bod for the information about the KA's that WD music sells..
Can anyone confirm they're Korean? I'm thinking I made the right choice with the Bill Lawrence EB60 though, so I can take the KA's off my to buy list!!!
Bass players on a budget are a very thorough lot eh?[/quote]

Alright Dal, how goes it mate. Thought I might see you lurking on here. The Kent Armstrongs are great pickups mate, and if you're a precision fan then their vintage hot pickups are mustard. The bass player in the Diehards uses my old Frankenbass which has got these pickups in and for punk / metal / hardcore stuff they really are the dogs nuts - especially for the price.

Hi guys
Ive got the kent armstrong"vintage hot" precision pickup in my CIJ fender p , it sounds fine and probably better than the original japenese pickup, has a nice warm sound but has a lot of mids, but hey its a p bass!!! am currently saving for a nordstrand np4 but TBH it probably wont sound that much better for the money!!! worth using for the money very good value!!!
all the best - lee

Aaron Armstrong did the pickups for my Overwater perception, I believe he does the bulk of their standard stuff, unless an alternative is specified.
(But- believe it or not- I have been wrong before!!!) :)
Andy

Edit I have a Kent Armstrong mm hubucker ready to go in my self build project when I get some spare time...

Edited by soopercrip