Why become a member? ×

Go play this....

Brandonh

Name of a few albums that you love to play along with. What genre of music it is, Whos the bassist and what are some of the songs on there you find the best.

Mother ship connections by Parliament.
Genre: Funk
Bassist: Bootsy Collins
Hit Songs
We've got the funk (Not the real name but youll recognize it this way)
Night of the thumpasaurus

P.S
Sorry for all my random posts but it seems like you guys have had fun with most of them.

Edited by Brandonh

The Temptations Greatest Hits
Genre:Motown
Bassists:James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt

Some great Jamerson basslines to play along with, Ain't Too Proud To Beg is possibly my favourite bassline ever, Papa Was A Rolling Stone has one of the most minimal basslines ever but also one of the funkiest

Currently I like playing along to / working out:

most of Manu Chao's live album (Radio Bemba). Can't remember the name of the bass player. I'm also checking out the sound he gets with a P bass (there's a thread full of that conversation over on 'gear'). Genre-wise it's dub / ska / salsa / rock / world and probably a few more categories all rolled into a glorious frenzy.

an album called Hustle - it's reggae covers of disco classics on the ever reliable souljazz label. Favourite tracks include Upside Down and Rappers delight. I also reach for the originals from time to time - can't go wrong with Nile Rogers and Bernard Edwards.

The freemasons remix of beautiful lie by Beyonce and Shakira - it's probably never been near a bass guitar but it's got great energy.

and excercises from my teacher include Jaco (the VERY easy bits!) James brown and Jamiroqui. I'm getting there but that stuff is a very long way from the light of day yet. Also some Latin and an arm numbing groove in 10 time.

I've been listening to 'Under the Munka Moon 2" by alice Walker in the car - that's next in line for my exercise playlist.

When I strap on my baby and get thunderous, it's a predominantly 60s affair:

Many, many blues albums - but just recently it's been [i]Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions[/i]

My Classic STAX collection. I'm a [i]Sooouuul[/i] Man!

Lots of different Beatles tracks. Always a pleasure to hang in with tuneful old Macca.

Ditto The Small Faces. HUGE fun. Thank you, Ronnie!

Most of Cream's output. Big respect to The Bruce.

Bob Dylan:
[i]Bringin' It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde[/i]

...and a little bit of Reggae and Ska for good measure. :)

[i]ADDED LATER:[/i]
Forgot Bowie and Hendrix!

Edited by Oxblood