Why become a member? ×

Latching Footswitch

jimbartlett

Dead easy. "Latching" just means it works like an ordinary switch (e.g. a light switch) so that the switch changes from one position to another and stays there until you switch it again. This is different to a "non-latching" switch which switches over then changes back again when you release the switch.

You can buy latching footswitches pretty cheapy - there's not much to them. Might be worth checking that first and then adding up the cost of the bits you'd need to make one.

To make one you'll need -

1 x Latching foot-operated SPST switch
1 x 1.4 inch jack socket
1 x metal box to put them in

1 x length of cable (mains cable will do the job)
2 x mono jack plugs (assuming the rack tuner uses a jack plug for footswitch input)

The idea of the switch is that you are switching the two wires in the cable so that they're either connected together or not. The SPST footswitch usually has 3 contacts. Connect one wire from one contact of the jack socket to the centre contact on the switch. Connect another wire from the other contact of the jack socket to either of the other contacts on the switch. Leave the 3rd switch contact disconnected.

That's it really.

Edit - here's an example [url="http://www.imusician.co.uk/musicstore/s24180/0/Keyboard-Accessories/BEHRINGER/Behringer-AB200-Dual-A-and-B-Switch/details.aspx"]Behringer AB200[/url] that has two switches in one unit for less than £ 16.

Quiet at work today....here's a simple diagram for a basic footswitch.

[attachment=5937:Footswitch.JPG]

You can get more clever and add a battery powered LED to show which way the switch is connected. To do that ypou need a DPDT switch, an LED and load resistor, and a battery clip.

[attachment=5938:Footswitch2.JPG]

The value of the resistor depends on the LED but you can usually find a little formula that allows you to calculate this where you buy the LED from.

Note that the footswitch will still work without a battery - the LED just won't come on.

+1 on the status light ....
You don't want to be looking round to your amp to see if your mute is on or off...

Build it so that the status lamp is off for most of the time (ie whatever you default setting is) and use a quick release battery holder such as these from Axesrus (they are ony £4.20 inc postage)

You'll thank me when your battery goes between numbers and you don't have to find a screwdriver :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='147111' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:43 AM']+1 on the status light ....
You don't want to be looking round to your amp to see if your mute is on or off...

Build it so that the status lamp is off for most of the time (ie whatever you default setting is) and use a quick release battery holder such as these from Axesrus (they are ony £4.20 inc postage)

You'll thank me when your battery goes between numbers and you don't have to find a screwdriver :)[/quote]

Blinding thanks. I have just come up with an idea about the LED's...... If I get two which light up, I can make them the naked lasses nips! :huh: