Why become a member? ×

Plucking finger blisters - to burst or not to burst>

Clarky

Just did a 4-hour rehearsal with my newly acquired Ampeg Baby Bass. Maybe its just that I am not used to steel strings (I have tended to use Silver Slap gut-alikes) or more likely its just that 4 hours is a damn long time on a DB! Either way, I have blisters on the (sore) tips of each of my plucking fingers. I have another 4 hour session next weekend. So, do I burst the blisters or not? What do you experienced DB'ers do?

Edit: given conflicting answers, poll added - and don't we all love a good poll (no mention of Coldplay either)? :)

Edited by Clarky

Bust the blisters, superglue the skin and smile. If the skin needs ripping off, you can still go down the superglue route, but that will require more smiling. If it all gets too much, you can try playing with the area between your finger tip and second knuckle, with your fingers pointing towards the ground (look at Ron Carter for this). I literally have a callous that runs from my fingertip to my main knuckle. All fun and games.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1283234' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:08 PM']Bust the blisters, superglue the skin and smile. If the skin needs ripping off, you can still go down the superglue route, but that will require more smiling. If it all gets too much, you can try playing with the area between your finger tip and second knuckle, with your fingers pointing towards the ground (look at Ron Carter for this). I literally have a callous that runs from my fingertip to my main knuckle. All fun and games.[/quote]

I'll start this by saying that I'd take Gareth's advice over mine any day, but I'd say don't burst them for both risk of infection and to encourage callous formation

It's very simple Clarky... the fluid in a blister has a natural hardening agent contained in it, so the longer the blister fluid is in contact with the skin underneath (that will eventually be your callous) the quicker the path to blister free playing is.
Sorry Gareth, but your method prolongs life without callous in my view (right upper cut.... on target) :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1283316' date='Jun 26 2011, 08:28 PM']...so the longer the blister fluid is in contact with the skin underneath...[/quote]

I do agree with this wholeheartedly - BUT (prepare to block) - that's the crux of the issue here: if one wants to play the bass in any kind of normal fashion then those blisters are gonna burst and leave such a nasty mess on the fingerboard, so my suggestion is more a 'just get it over and done with' approach. (oooooo - straight to the ribs)

HOWEVER - I did gloss over the fact that Clarky's next rehearsal isn't for a full weekend, thus giving his blisters ample time to keep that fluid in contact with the ever forming callous' beneath (Ladies and Gentlemen - did you see that!?!?!?!, a boxing own goal, Gareth has knocked himself out!!!!!.....10....9...8....7......)

OK, need to make a decision as its getting near bedtime! 3:1 in favour of leaving blisters alone (and Jake sounded very scientific) so the blisters stay :) I may reconsider if they are still here in 3 or 4 days time though ....

Hi Clarky,

Don't burst ! if you need to play use Germolene Second Skin, its something like a medicinal super gluer with the advantage of not being a cyanide component. Spread a layer of the fluid over the blister, let it dry, spread another one etc... it will form a hard layer and reduce the sensibility.
Mario.

Don't burst!

get some surgical spirit from yor chemist and keep dabbing it on, by next weekend you'll be able to play for 8 hours!

Walkers use this for blisters on their feet.

Keep some with you and dab some on between numbers, it works, I can vouch for that.

The Ampeg should respond to a light touch anyway!

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1283575' date='Jun 27 2011, 12:36 AM']Screw it - DON"T BURST THEM!!!!!! I hate being the odd one out. [b]ESPECIALLY[/b] amongst bass players. How ironic.[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='1283251' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:17 PM']I'll start this by saying that I'd take Gareth's advice over mine any day[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1283234' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:08 PM']Bust the blisters, superglue the skin and smile. If the skin needs ripping off, you can still go down the superglue route, but that will require more smiling. If it all gets too much, you can try playing with the area between your finger tip and second knuckle, with your fingers pointing towards the ground (look at Ron Carter for this). I literally have a callous that runs from my fingertip to my main knuckle. All fun and games.[/quote]

I saw maverick harpist Joanna Newsom in Leeds and it was near the end of a loooong tour and she took breaks between songs to superglue the skin on her fingers about half a dozen times in the show. What a trooper.

I used to burst them, but only from sheer ignorance. Burst -> tear -> raw skin dries -> callous. Seemed to work through the early years.

Haven't really had a blister in years though...think I'd try the surgical spirits out of curiosity.

[quote name='lanark' post='1283614' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:35 AM']I saw maverick harpist Joanna Newsom in Leeds and it was near the end of a loooong tour and she took breaks between songs to superglue the skin on her fingers about half a dozen times in the show. What a trooper.[/quote]

Which is fine unless you forget to let it dry before you touch the strings again. Waiting round A+E stuck to a harp is an interesting story at its best.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1283795' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:24 AM']Thank you all. I will be picking up some surgical spirit from Boots on the way home tonight :) (not to drink, but to dab on finger tips, in case of doubt)[/quote]

Just a thought, keep the spirit off the instruments!

I was initially encouraged to sterilise a needle and thread it.

Then burst the blister with the needle and allow the thread to soak up all the blistery goo.

Quite what the point in sterilising a needle is, if you're going to use thread like this, eludes me.

Perhaps if you dipped the thread in meths first?

Or perhaps a hypodermic syringe would be the best way to evacuate the squidgy sludge.

Mind you, having those just lying about is quite hardcore, and in any case detracts from the simple pleasure of manually sooking up blister juice.

Anyhoo, I've had very few blisters since I decided to start turning up WAAY louder than sax players and guitarists, then adjusting my playing to be quite quiet.

Not so easy playing acoustically, though.

Postscript:

I didn't burst the blisters and applied Germolene New Skin as suggested by one of the posters on the thread (Boots was out of surgical spirit). Seems to have done the trick as went through another four-hour rehearsal on the DB this afternoon with no problems whatsoever. Thanks all!