Why become a member? ×

Retroglide DVD

phsycoandy

Got this yesterday, as a die hard L42 fan (forgive me! I am 48) watched thru once, need to do it again when the neighbours are out if u know what I mean.

Gotta say the new stuff does't play live as good as the old stuff, or perhaps I just dont like the new stuff. Any hows its a good watch for you L42 fans. The Kingbass still sounds a tad thin to me, perhaps I'll press the loudness button when theyre out next door, on the surround sound.

Now wheres the keys to me Capri Ghia! :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='14742' date='Jun 9 2007, 06:53 PM']Got this yesterday, as a die hard L42 fan (forgive me! I am 48) watched thru once, need to do it again when the neighbours are out if u know what I mean.

Gotta say the new stuff does't play live as good as the old stuff, or perhaps I just dont like the new stuff. Any hows its a good watch for you L42 fans. The Kingbass still sounds a tad thin to me, perhaps I'll press the loudness button when theyre out next door, on the surround sound.

Now wheres the keys to me Capri Ghia! :)[/quote]
MB1. :huh:

the word thin and kingbass?i can stop a rhino at 30 paces with mine,its the loudest essex girl ive ever met!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='15324' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:59 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVICybOb8s"]check this out[/url][/quote]

MB1. be)

Still sounds like your walking into a room full of pensioners knitting!.(dont get me wrong i am a fan!).Maybe the engineer thought Mr king was the sax player?,even mr lindup seems to get a better sound , but why does it always look like hes going to be sick?.i honestly dont know what to say,maybe a change of batterys,a change of sound engineer? or a lot of crawling to john diggins?.i will not be purchasing your dvd however!

all the best

MB1.

I walked out of a Level 42 gig two or three years back. The sound was terrible, and the venue was worse. Mark King never has had what I'd call a "meaty" sound, but the current setup is poor compared to the Jaydee IMO, lifeless and thin, as stated above.

[quote name='Rayman' post='15727' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:55 PM']I walked out of a Level 42 gig two or three years back. The sound was terrible, and the venue was worse. Mark King never has had what I'd call a "meaty" sound, but the current setup is poor compared to the Jaydee IMO, lifeless and thin, as stated above.[/quote]

MB1. be)
LEVEL 42 LIVE SOUND.
Worst sound ,was a gmex gig in manchester for the"staring at the sun tour" you try playing an alembic in a train shed!. not many bands have willingly played there since,and i for one have never returned.

MB1.

On the clip of footage kindly linked for us by mr nottswarwick
his kingbass does sound quite thin, although i have no prior knowledge
of what kingbasses generally sound like.

Although i have heard that Mr King himself does use really light guaged strings
so i can only put it down to that.

I was lucky enough to see Level 42 live when they were at their peak at the
Birmingham Odeon many years back, when he was using his jd basses & he did have a fuller sound
back then. Although i enjoy his slap playing, i was really into his finger playing even more
& he had a really fat groovy beefy sound when he did that which always was a joy for me to hear.

[quote name='Bernmeister' post='15759' date='Jun 11 2007, 05:21 PM']On the clip of footage kindly linked for us by mr nottswarwick
his kingbass does sound quite thin, although i have no prior knowledge
of what kingbasses generally sound like.

Although i have heard that Mr King himself does use really light guaged strings
so i can only put it down to that.

I was lucky enough to see Level 42 live when they were at their peak at the
Birmingham Odeon many years back, when he was using his jd basses & he did have a fuller sound
back then. Although i enjoy his slap playing, i was really into his finger playing even more
& he had a really fat groovy beefy sound when he did that which always was a joy for me to hear.[/quote]

MB1.
AGREED! Mr King used to use 30/90s on the jaydee and still got a full sound,i really think this is just a badly mixed live sound,everything seems to be louder than the bass.

interesting. Dont know whagt you guys are listening on, but I have my PC linked to my studio monitors/headphones. Although the bass sounds a bit trebbly, I can not agree that it is badly mixed. The overall sound is very clean and clear, with plently of Mr Kings bass in there. On some of the clips (there are others up there) it is clear enough to pick out the synth patterns (eg Lessons in Love) alongside and distinct from the bass guitar.

It is just a different tone, but there is nowt wrong with the mix imho and on my full range speaker system. :-)
Might get the DVD anyway.

I have had a few Kingbasses and the botton end is serious !!!
I dont think the finger sound is all that great ,,,but the slap sound is a market leader!!!!!
So its either Mark Kings choice of sound or its the ASHDOWNS !!
I hired one last year and it was CRAP !!!!
Biggest waste of money on the market apart from BERHINGER obviously !

[quote name='blamelouis' post='16000' date='Jun 12 2007, 12:07 AM']I have had a few Kingbasses and the botton end is serious !!!
I dont think the finger sound is all that great ,,,but the slap sound is a market leader!!!!!
So its either Mark Kings choice of sound or its the ASHDOWNS !!
I hired one last year and it was CRAP !!!!
Biggest waste of money on the market apart from BERHINGER obviously ![/quote]
MB1. be)
HIRED being the operative word here!

[quote name='blamelouis' post='16491' date='Jun 12 2007, 08:41 PM']LOL !
That said Stuart clayton gave the ashdown superfly a great review recently and was gonna buy one himself!
So it must be Mark King's ears !!! :)[/quote]

MB1. be)

Well they are on a slightly older head these days(his ears that is!)
argh!!!! listen to that sub bass!!! (hot water-live).