Why become a member? ×

JohnPatitucci on MySpace

jakenewmanbass

I listened to John Patitucci in the early 90s with Chick Coreas Elektric band and while I was dazzled by the chops and ability I was always left cold by the content and how flash it all was, and I never really aspired to play like that.
Given what I've just said I've just checked out his MySpace and watched a video which I thought was very grounded and contained much of the content that I thought was missing when I heard him first.
Give it a look I think there is some really good advice there.
[url="http://www.myspace.com/johnpatitucci"]http://www.myspace.com/johnpatitucci[/url]

John's recorded output changed hugely in the mid 90s, starting with One More Angel, which is an incredible album. Everything he's put out since then has been worth owning, and his latest album, Line By Line, is outstanding. One of my favourite jazz albums of recent years.

He's definitely grown a long way from his Electrik Band beginnings - seems working with Wayne Shorter and John Scofield has taken his compositional skills to a whole new level.

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='149243' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:19 AM']John's recorded output changed hugely in the mid 90s, starting with One More Angel, which is an incredible album. Everything he's put out since then has been worth owning, and his latest album, Line By Line, is outstanding. One of my favourite jazz albums of recent years.

He's definitely grown a long way from his Electrik Band beginnings - seems working with Wayne Shorter and John Scofield has taken his compositional skills to a whole new level.

Steve
www.stevelawson.net[/quote]
Thanks Steve, I will check some of those recordings out and I agree he has grown, he was always a great player IMO but now he is a much fuller proposition altogether.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='149246' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:28 AM']I'm amazed at how delicately he caresses his upright bass.

Every upright bass I've tried has neede to be fought within an inch of its life to get anything remotely responsive from it...[/quote]

Hi Crazy, yes a light touch, it is a very nice instrument. Mine plays quite easy (not as easy as his I suspect) and I may if I can get it (and me) there, bring it to the bass bash, if you're going you're welcome to try it
Jake