Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic C300 Rack Compressor

Dood

Hi folks.. I have been reading the Harmony Central reviews for this compressor. Finally found a unity that actually has a parallel compression function on it, instead of having to route cables all the time.

I have been using parallel compression on my gear for ages and I love it! (albeit with the afore mentioned routing!!)

Just looking to see if anyone on the board has tried the C series compressors from TC? (Especially for bass)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='150183' date='Mar 3 2008, 09:41 AM']what does parallel compression mean? As in stereo compression? Multi-band?[/quote]

In it's simplest form, it means mixing a direct signal with the compressed signal. The technique is often used in studios to fatten up drum tracks and adding the breathy loveliness to vocals.. especially those sexay ladies!

Usually, in th ecase of drums it means routing out seperate groups on a desk to mix the compresed and direct signals.. but at last, someone has had the bright idea of adding the control direct on the compressor.

I have been using parallel comp for..well, ever really. I first started using seperate channels of a rack compressor to set up 2 different compressions, then routed them (in parrallel) to the front end of my effects loop. I really want to go back to doing that again, so it was a bit of a revelation to see a mulit band / full band compressor offering the ability on one knob, as opposed to me having to route cables left right and centre!

Therefore, there's a great possibility my EBS Mulitcomp will be coming up for sale soon!

Dan

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='150700' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:05 PM']please explain that in lay mans terms, im confused[/quote]

Hmmm.. well, you know when you plug in a compressor and you get all your signal peaks limited and all your quiet stuff amplified to make your signal more consistent?

Well, Imagine that your peaks aren't limited, but all your quiet stuff (signal) is brought up in volume to meet the louder parts of your playing. Your peaks (ie Slapping and popping) are not limted, but when you reach over to tap up the neck, the notes ring out far louder.

If you get the mix just right it sounds really PHAT but natural at the same time. Some people also like to mix a multiband compressor with the direct signal, as there are some phases differences that make for some wierd bass tones as the bands of compression kick in and out.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='151523' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:15 AM']I do parrallel compression all the time! It's an integral part of my sound but I've never heard it's name before.[/quote]

Cool! I'd never really been a fan of the more 'normal' method. I like what I can do with parallel. Just really wanna give this comp a go, to see if I get the same results. Then the multicomp will go lol!!