Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.5, Surrey, Saturday 24th September 2011

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

It's time to forget the recession, forget the fact that the England Women's football team is better than the mens and forget the fact that you're not friends on Facebook with Tal Wilkenfeld (er, unless you are of course)... So dust off you brilliant collection of basses, your amazing array of amps and all your other interesting bass stuff, and bring it all down to the..

[b]South East Bass Bash No.5[/b]

..because we've all got nothing better to do (yet again) and because we're continually inspired by all the other totally brilliant Basschat Bashes around the country and because we want to see you all again of course..plus we want to make a lot of noise! So, for your delectation and enjoyment, here are the details you need to know:

Date: [b]Saturday 24 September 2011[/b]
Time: [b]10am - 5pm[/b]
Venue: [b]Jubilee High School, Surrey, School Lane, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 1TE[/b]

Venue link: [url="http://www.jubileehigh.surrey.sch.uk/"]Jubilee High School Website[/url]
[url="http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=504208&y=164434&z=0&sv=KT15+1TE&st=2&pc=KT15+1TE&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf"]MAP LINK[/url]

[b]Format:[/b] 1 x general area to set up your gear, plus 1 x quiet room/workshop area with workshops through the day, plus Jamming room, plus cafeteria, plus Raffle

[b]Spaces:[/b]
The Quiet Room' and the Theatre for Workshops
The Jamming Room for jamming with drummers (and other strange non-bass playing people)
Main Hall (where you can set up your gear)

Plus we have a few new ideas we're considering, such as a 'Swap Shop' area for example... And a 'no slapping' ban, punishable by having to pay a donation towards the charities!

Cost: [b]£10 for the day[/b] Last year, it cost about £185 for the hire of the venue plus an amount for some public liability insurance cover therefore to cover those basic costs, we need to charge £10 per head entrance fee to one and all!
Charities: We will donate all profits from the day to a worthy cause or two (details to be confirmed):
[b]Refreshments[/b] will be available on the day for a small charge of course which will help increase the profits and keep everyone happy! Last year Hamster & Mrs Hamster did all the work on that and have offered to do so again, so many thanks in advance to them!
[b]Workshops[/b]
As ever, we are looking for offers from people to run workshops...so any ideas/requests are welcomed. Bassace has offered to get involved with a Double bass workshop already which is great, but that may be subject to his availability on the day, so if anyone else would like to contribute to that workshop as well, it'd be much appreciated.

One suggestion I've had already is for a workshop on how to e.q. your rig for different venues, so if someone fancies that challenge, then please PM me...I could really see that working well if we had a drummer and guitarist available on the day as well.... I think it would also be worthwhile if we had a workshop based upon comparing different basses, different amps etc.. And one on music theory too! So if anyone is feeling bold and brave, then please step forward now!!!

[b]Please Help[/b]
What would be really helpful from everyone who's interested in partcipating on the day is:

1. Donations of raffle prizes
2. Ideas/requests for the workshops
3. Volunteers to help out on the day (if needs be)

What'd be good now is to use this thread to get an idea of who's coming and what gear they'll be bringing..So, to get the ball rolling here's a list of the people I know who are coming:

UPDATED LIST:
[indent=1]01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, BC Rich Eagle, Yamaha TRB5 with Norstrand p/ups and Auderre pre, Hughes & Kettner Bassbass 600 head & SWR Triad.. plus old Peavey Head and 1x15 for the Jamming Room (unless anyone has something else we can use that's better?)
02. Coasterbass: Eden Navigator preamp and SVP-Pro, Mesa 1x15 RR, Warwick $$ Streamer (Lefty), Stingray (Lefty)[/indent][indent=1]03. Waynepunkdude: Arsenal shirt, Nick Cave underpants, Sunburst Musicman Sterling H and Ampeg SVT 2pro G&K Neo412
04. MikeyR: Blue P bass with a selection of stomp boxes
05. Truckstop: MIM Fender Jazz V, pimped Kay 2B; Gem/Ampeg rig; some effects
06. Dropzone: Jeff berlin combo and what I think is a Mark 1 Barefaced Compact Cab
07. Pete.young:
08. Shockwave: Pedulla MVP5 Mean Green machine.
09. Sibob: '71 Precision, '73 Jazz, MIA Jazz 5 if there's interest, Barefaced Compact, Orange Terror, Pedal-board if there's interest.
10. Throwoff:
11. TheGreek: Veillette Citron fretless
12. Burgundymouse: Fender Jazz and Laney amp
13. 51m0n: Berg ae410, MB, Focusrite and Roscoe
14. seashell: MIM Fender Precision + some sort of Marshall practice amp
15. Barneyg42: Some second-hand tat bought over the years!
16. Happy Jack: Double bass of some description + Status Graphite Streamline 5
17. silddx: Hohner B2ADB Headless Boat Paddle / Home Built Chris Squire Electra Evolution, Status Graphite Vintage PJ4 and my Fender USA Deluxe Strat (with the trusty POD X3 Live)[/indent][indent=1]18. Paul the drums: himself & some drums!
19. TomKent: Fodera NYC Empire 5, Fender Jazz 4, Vintage Stingray 5, Faker P 4 Fretless, Faker P Fretted, Krampera KVB800 Rig, some pedals too..
20. Obbm: Shuker PJ5, ACG headless 5, Aguilar SL112, Ashdown LB, GK Microstack.
21. Ped: Vigier Passion bass, BC T shirts
22. Merton: 4 Statii (yes, 4, hooray!), Multiscale prototype, GK MB200
23. Jean-Luc Pickguard: NS-Design CR5M, Ashbory
24. Stingray5: Musicman, Tune, Trace Elliot, GT-6B, other stuff tba
25. Bassace : A double bass and an amp or two
26. WalMan: Wal Pro 1/Custom, G&L L2500 fretted & fretless, MB LMT, BF Super 12T, assorted EBS pedals
27. SlackAlice: Squier P Bass Special........& hopefully another addition by then. Ashdown Electric Blue 180 12.
28. Mcgraham: Wood & Tronics 5 string fretted & 5 string fretless
29. Pantherairsoft: Roscoe Century Signature 6 & Custom 3006 Fretless
30. Maverick: Maverick S4 Nemesis, Fulltone Bass Drive & EBS Microbass II.
31. Grand Wazoo: Basswise I'll take whatever I like. mostly wonkey fretted ones and an Ashdown Drophead 30
32. sockdeluxe_mikey: Lakland 44-01 and possibly one or two others, Markbass SA450 and Barefaced Compact.
33. Arco: Yamaha SLB 100, Precision, Markbass CMD121P plus anything else I acquire before then....
34. Thestick[/indent][indent=1]35. Low End Bee:[/indent][indent=1]36. Walbassist:[/indent][indent=1]37. bassmanady: Shecter Diamond series Elite 5 string & Sei Flam 5 string[/indent][indent=1]38. alexclaber: trusty RIM Custom 5, a barefaced cab or two plus a drummist![/indent][indent=1]39. vintage ben: 1967 Jazz Bass, Sadowsky NYC P Bass, Aguilar TH500, Barefaced Compact (assuming all goes to plan).[/indent][indent=1]40. Hamster: mostly tea, coffee & cakes![/indent][indent=1]41. jhk: Yamaha TRB 5 & 6 plus RBX 775, stingray 5, GB spitfire 5, Eden Metro[/indent][indent=1]42. chimike: various amps, pre-amps…[/indent]

It'd be great to have [b]50 plus people[/b] there on the day but the bottom line is that, to make this event pay for itself and to be able to donate something to charity, we need a minimum of 30 people... So, come on folks; sign up!! Thanks and we look forward to seeing you there..

silverfoxnik / Merton / Hamster / WalMan / obbm / Happy Jack / Beedster

Edited by silverfoxnik

If I am not in some far-flung country I would love to attend again (unfortunately its the time of year my Bank sends people like me all over the place, so I can't be certain). If I can attend I will probably bring my Ampeg Baby Bass and Acoustic Image/Euphonic Audio rig, as that will be a bit different.

Very good, I'll be there subject to the usual:

01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, BC Rich Eagle, Yamaha TRB5 with Norstrand p/ups and Auderre pre, Hughes & Kettner Bassbass 600 head & SWR Triad.. plus old Peavey Head and 1x15 for the Jamming Room (unless anyone has something else we can use that's better?)
02. EssentialTension: Fender Precision 62, Fender TF Fretless P, Lakland Decade, Mesa Walkabout 12.

Super-duper!

I will no doubt come along, I would imagine Plux will also be there....

Promise not a word about compressors this time :)

I'll probably bring my rig, and we'll get as much of Plux's in the jallopy as we can, so it will be Bergantino-ago-go

Edited by 51m0n

I've managed to be on holiday for the last 2-3 of these but plans for Sept/Oct not yet agreed.

If we're not away then I'll def be there and can bring pretty much anything in my sig (although, knowing me, it will have changed by then, lol).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1294351' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:24 AM']Very good, I'll be there subject to the usual:

01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, BC Rich Eagle, Yamaha TRB5 with Norstrand p/ups and Auderre pre, Hughes & Kettner Bassbass 600 head & SWR Triad.. plus old Peavey Head and 1x15 for the Jamming Room (unless anyone has something else we can use that's better?)
02. EssentialTension: Fender Precision 62, Fender TF Fretless P, Lakland Decade, Mesa Walkabout 12.
03. Waynepunkdude : Musicman Sterling H and Ampeg SVT 2pro G&K Neo412
30.[/quote]

I'll put me down even though I can't be sure as yet

04. Clarky: Ampeg Baby Bass, Acoustic Image/Euphonic Audio rig

Is there any real interest in a chat about recording (tracking/mixing/mastering)???

Generally rather than necessarily entirely bass specific.

I'd prefer to do something more of an open forum to answer questions rather than a massive lecture, which will no doubt be as tedious as the compressor one was.

Its a massive subject though, so if anyone has something they really want to know about it let me know and I may be able to prepare a bit...

[quote name='51m0n' post='1294467' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:52 AM']Is there any real interest in a chat about recording (tracking/mixing/mastering)???

Generally rather than necessarily entirely bass specific.

I'd prefer to do something more of an open forum to answer questions rather than a massive lecture, which will no doubt be as tedious as the compressor one was.

Its a massive subject though, so if anyone has something they really want to know about it let me know and I may be able to prepare a bit...[/quote]
Sounds like a good idea 51m0n. BTW, your compressor talk was possibly the least tedious talk about compression there has ever been. A request though - please don't pluck me out of the audience and make me play 'The magnificant seven' for 10 minutes again or I will be lynched :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1294467' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:52 AM']Is there any real interest in a chat about recording (tracking/mixing/mastering)???

Generally rather than necessarily entirely bass specific.[/quote]

Yup - definitely from my point of view.

You'd need to aim it at beginners, mind ...

:)

A quick heads-up on the SwapShop idea.

There's plenty of GAS around but precious little cash, so I suggested that we replace the For Sale section with a SwapShop section targeting cash-free (or at least cash-lite) deals for those who have kit lying around that is surplus to requirements.

I have no idea if this will ring positive bell with anyone out there in Basschat-Land so I'd be interested to hear some feedback on it.

I've not been able to make it to a bass bash so far, but hopefully I'll be able to make this one - especially if the 'no slapping' rule is going to be enforced :)

Not sure what I could bring that might be interesting? I'm sure my rig is pretty standard - LMII & 1212L
[list]
[*]might bring one or two of these:
[*]Danelectro Longhorn (original Korean RI version)
[*]Fender Ashbory with Pahoehoe polyurethane strings
[*]NS CR5M EUB
[*]'81 cherry sunburst precison with EMG p/up
[*]Ebony boarded Fretless Precision (Bitzer)
[*]Epiphone Pro-V Thunderbird
[*]CIJ mustang
[*]'72 musicmaster
[*]Tanglewood rosewood reserve acoustic bass
[/list]

[quote name='Clarky' post='1294476' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:59 AM']Sounds like a good idea 51m0n. BTW, your compressor talk was possibly the least tedious talk about compression there has ever been. A request though - please don't pluck me out of the audience and make me play 'The magnificant seven' for 10 minutes again or I will be lynched :)[/quote]

:)

Was the highlight of the day mate!

03. Waynepunkdude : Sunburst Musicman Sterling H and Ampeg SVT 2pro G&K Neo412
06. Urb - either Sei Jazz or Singlecut - and maybe some pedals - possible Genz Shuttle 9

I'm there failing any last minute misshaps - last year's was really enjoyable - I'm happy to do another workshop thing but also happy to let someone else do a music theory session as I'm sure there a load of people - ahem, Jakesbass - who can explain things better than I. What I could do is talk about writing and recording your own music - which might fit nicely with Simon's suggestion for a workshop on recording which I'd very much welcome - I can certainly outline the way music theory and broader musical knowledge can essentially help you expand the possibilities of writing your own music... sound good?

I fancy coming along if anyone can provide me a lift from Earl's Court? I'll gladly pay my petrol share. I also don't mind bringing my amp/as many basses as fit in if anyone wants a go. Provided no one asks me to play I'll be happy, I'll only end up embarrassing myself.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1294693' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:21 PM']Root notes and what they are called - WPD.[/quote]
Root notes? What are they... That's way too musical for me... :)

Edited by silverfoxnik