Why become a member? ×

'Affiliates Marketplace' frozen temporarily (now back online)

ped

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Toasted' post='1312230' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:00 AM']An awful lot of "down" and not a lot of "up" since July 6th.

What's going on? Anyone else missing reading about the latest SFX / ACG / RIM builds as much as me?[/quote]

You can probably see the builds on their websites in the meantime. I'm re-jigging the rules and posting limits etc as it wasn't really fair before. I'll be sorting it and re-opening it over the next couple of weeks (allowing for things to crop up in between).

It's a valuable area and something we like to offer our members, but there needs to be more clarity to the rules. The original idea that it might encourage donations hasn't really been a success!

Cheers

[quote name='fleabag' post='1312248' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:27 AM']Fee restructuring in the face of impending economic disaster ? Ireland, Portugal, Greece, ... Basschat ?[/quote]

en route to Belgium as we speak!

[i]'This forum is free to use for anyone wishing to advertise their goods to Basschat members. We ask that Basschat members are offered some small discount in return for you using this forum to gain customers, so please put such details in your posts.

The forum will be carefully monitored to make sure no one company 'spams' the forum with endless threads. If this happens, you will probably be asked to stop or be removed form the bazaar forum. As a guide I would advise the company/business owner to post about once a week.

If you would like to subscribe for a small and competitive fee and have your own exclusive 'affiliate forum' on Basschat (where you will have the freedom to make as much 'noise' as you like!) please PM me and I will give you the details. The benefits include full HTML posting, your posts will appear in the 'new posts' summary page and you will be represented in a banner at the top of the site page.

This is an experimental phase so let's see how it works out.

Cheers and enjoy the forum

ped'[/i]

My personal preference would be to have the companies in the section pinned in alphabetical order under categories, like the Basschatters' Reviews section, with the Company Name in the title and a description of the offering in the subtitle.

I don't think you should really limit their posts. That's restrictive and unnecessary. A discount to basschatters is fair enough, but I would avoid treating these manufacturers and suppliers like you are doing them a favour. It's symbiotic. Members get discounts and a direct and more personal relationship with the suppliers through here, the suppliers get the exposure and the advantages of BC members being trusted third parties recommending products and service. You, the BC shareholders, get the advantages of hosting these relationships which is a good draw for new members.

We could individually form relationships with these affiliates outside Basschat, it would just be more fragmented and without the benefits of the community here. It's all mutually beneficial because we get better products and service as a result of our feedback to them. Treat them fairly and foster the community spirit, it's good for all of us.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1312883' date='Jul 22 2011, 03:57 PM']My personal preference would be to have the companies in the section pinned in alphabetical order under categories, like the Basschatters' Reviews section, with the Company Name in the title and a description of the offering in the subtitle.

I don't think you should really limit their posts. That's restrictive and unnecessary. A discount to basschatters is fair enough, but I would avoid treating these manufacturers and suppliers like you are doing them a favour. It's symbiotic. Members get discounts and a direct and more personal relationship with the suppliers through here, the suppliers get the exposure and the advantages of BC members being trusted third parties recommending products and service. You, the BC shareholders, get the advantages of hosting these relationships which is a good draw for new members.

We could individually form relationships with these affiliates outside Basschat, it would just be more fragmented and without the benefits of the community here. It's all mutually beneficial because we get better products and service as a result of our feedback to them. Treat them fairly and foster the community spirit, it's good for all of us.[/quote]

Cheers for that. I agree with your points - we won't be restricting numbers of posts on the forum but will ask a token fee to advertise there. I'm working out the details now but basically it'll run like this:

Old/new member pays subscription;
Subscription automatically makes you an "Affiliate" (new member category)
An 'Affiliate' can then create topics in the Affiliates forum for the length of the subscription;
'Affiliates' would also have moderating power in that forum only;
'Members' would not be allowed to start topics - they could only reply to 'Affiliates' posts;

I'm going to have it implemented when we upgrade to V3.2 very soon as it'll be easier with the new software and we might as well do it at once. The cost is a token amount, maybe £5 a month or an option to pay for a year upfront.

The original idea was that the affiliates would donate once in a while but unfortunately that really hasn't been the case. There is little doubt that the relationship is symbiotic but a small payment to reach as many members as we have is fair for the businesses wishing to use the forum to reach our membership.

I like the idea of tidying up the forum, too - maybe we could have amps/cabs/basses etc in sections.

It should make the section much tidier and more useful.. watch this space and wait it out whilst we upgrade to 3.2

Any questions fire away and sorry it's been a bit unclear, but you know how it is, having a day job and so on! I originally closed the forum to play with the existing settings and functions. I made a mess of things and have reset it back so I may open it up again to how it was until we move to the new software.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='1313131' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:32 PM']Cheers for that. I agree with your points - we won't be restricting numbers of posts on the forum but will ask a token fee to advertise there. I'm working out the details now but basically it'll run like this:

Old/new member pays subscription;
Subscription automatically makes you an "Affiliate" (new member category)
An 'Affiliate' can then create topics in the Affiliates forum for the length of the subscription;
'Affiliates' would also have moderating power in that forum only;
'Members' would not be allowed to start topics - they could only reply to 'Affiliates' posts;

I'm going to have it implemented when we upgrade to V3.2 very soon as it'll be easier with the new software and we might as well do it at once. The cost is a token amount, maybe £5 a month or an option to pay for a year upfront.

The original idea was that the affiliates would donate once in a while but unfortunately that really hasn't been the case. There is little doubt that the relationship is symbiotic but a small payment to reach as many members as we have is fair for the businesses wishing to use the forum to reach our membership.

I like the idea of tidying up the forum, too - maybe we could have amps/cabs/basses etc in sections.

It should make the section much tidier and more useful.. watch this space and wait it out whilst we upgrade to 3.2

Any questions fire away and sorry it's been a bit unclear, but you know how it is, having a day job and so on! I originally closed the forum to play with the existing settings and functions. I made a mess of things and have reset it back so I may open it up again to how it was until we move to the new software.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Nice one mate.

It's back now, as it was.

Just saving the funds for our upgrade and added a few more things to my list of jobs!

I might have a play with the forum again to split it into categories at some point, I like that idea.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='1314381' date='Jul 24 2011, 12:46 AM']It's back now, as it was.

Just saving the funds for our upgrade and added a few more things to my list of jobs!

I might have a play with the forum again to split it into categories at some point, I like that idea.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

The devil makes work for idle hands :)