Why become a member? ×

Oldie But Newie

MikeB

Hi. Recently discovered BT. Sure it's going to be really useful / interesting. I play bass in a "mature" (50 plus) band in the Lincoln area playing blues/rock covers (Cream, Free, Gary Moore, etc). I use Fender gear (Jazz & Precision) and have just bought an Ampeg 450H which is great. We have all been playing quite a while but only got together a few months ago and have only played 3 gigs so far, which leads me on to last night. Weirdest gig I've ever done. School fund raising event starting off with a 36 piece jazz swing band made up of school pupils (very good but a million miles from what we do) followed by us (we were asked to turn down after a couple of songs so we asked the audience and they were very happy with the sound and were dancing around like loonies. We ignored the instruction. Took me back to school days). Then a band possibly even older than us playing MOR early 60's pop covers. Again, pretty good but made for an unusual mix of musical styles. A weird gig, but at least we got paid OK.
Any more weird gig stories?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='15124' date='Jun 10 2007, 04:18 PM']Another Yellowbelly....

Ey up mi duck!

:huh:[/quote]

How man! who ye caalin a yella belly? :)

*reverting to English* I'm an ex-pat Geordie who is gradually becoming a local.

Bob, I was starting to think it was only you and me from the flatlands.

Tut tut...... both imports!!! at least I was only just born outside Lincs in sunny Norfolkshire.....

So it appears, with 7 years here I'm the stalwart at the mo..... I know theres another chap at Grantham and bizzarley enough he owns a PRS too! See, we maybe branded as backword country folk but we have good taste on Bass guitars and kings !!!!

Oh and we actaully have THE magna carta in Lincoln at the moment........ naaaaaah!

[quote name='Telebass' post='15472' date='Jun 11 2007, 10:43 AM']Well...I'm an Essex boy (boy! Ha!), but my parents, for some unexplained reason, currently live in Lincoln...[/quote]

UNEXPLAINED ?

[size=4]UNEXPLAINED ?[/size]

[size=6]UNEXPLAINED ?[/size]

Lincolnshire is a wonderful place to live...... I admire your parents for having the sense to make the choice !!!!!!

I love travelling, and have been to a lot of places in this old world of ours but NOWHERE feels like home in Lincs!!!!

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='16115' date='Jun 12 2007, 11:28 AM']UNEXPLAINED ?

[size=4]UNEXPLAINED ?[/size]

[size=6]UNEXPLAINED ?[/size]
Lincolnshire is a wonderful place to live...... I admire your parents for having the sense to make the choice !!!!!!
I love travelling, and have been to a lot of places in this old world of ours but NOWHERE feels like home in Lincs!!!!

:)[/quote]
Did my RAF basic training at Swinderby in 1974. Never willingly been near the place since!
:huh:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='16462' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:56 PM']Mr T, get one of your 'fly boys' to take you North 10 miles to the wolds...... rolling hills and beautiful scenery..... and Louth.... wonderful little town!
:wub:[/quote]

Mate, I wouldn't trust those idiots to take themselves to the toilet :)

I've been to Louth and you're right it is lovely up there, coming from Northumberland originally though, I still find it difficult to deal with the lack of lumps in the ground.

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='16719' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:24 AM']Mate, I wouldn't trust those idiots to take themselves to the toilet :)[/quote]

Your not the 1st to say that !!!!! Now I'm worried.

Nrthumblnd eh? well ok we dont have stuff to compete with that...... Although we dont have Makems either!

:huh:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='16868' date='Jun 13 2007, 01:52 PM']Your not the 1st to say that !!!!! Now I'm worried.

Nrthumblnd eh? well ok we dont have stuff to compete with that...... Although we dont have Makems either!

:huh:[/quote]

MACKEMS? Darken not this forum with your filthy utterings! I will have no further mention of those foul creatures. Also speak not of smoggies or monkey hangers.

:)

All this local dialect stuff is getting far too confusing - and what's with all the complaints about Lincolnshire. I moved up here from "the smoke" 18 years ago and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

By the way, Burpster, Swinderby is definitely in Lincs (though only by about 2 miles) I should know - I live in Swinderby!
Telebass, the RAF camp closed about 12 years ago. Its now being turned into a massive housing estate.

[quote name='Tinman' post='16892' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:19 PM']MACKEMS? Darken not this forum with your filthy utterings! I will have no further mention of those foul creatures. Also speak not of smoggies or monkey hangers.

Mr T, my last wife (bless her cotton socks!) was from Durham so I had a proper "education in what is right and proper" in the Northeast , also bear in mind I did MY basic training at Dishforth with lads and lasses from all 't Northern counties... The evenings in the dorms were fun wi' Geordies wantin' to do the Mackems and Monkey 'angers and scousers wanting to do all the Mancunians ..... Us cosmopolitan buffoons from Notts were seen as the Umpires in this nightly battle!

Wayeye pet! hoya hammer 'ower here hinnie!

[quote]By the way, Burpster, Swinderby is definitely in Lincs (though only by about 2 miles) I should know - I live in Swinderby!
Telebass, the RAF camp closed about 12 years ago. Its now being turned into a massive housing estate.[/quote]

Please trust me as a person that was selected by society to know stuff like that, I know where Swinderby is...... I think you'll find if you read my post again it states "just inside Lincs"........ We may be an agricultural county but we are not stoopid or illiterate!!!!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='17155' date='Jun 13 2007, 07:48 PM']Please trust me as a person that was selected by society to know stuff like that, I know where Swinderby is...... I think you'll find if you read my post again it states "just inside Lincs"........ We may be an agricultural county but we are not stoopid or illiterate!!!![/quote]

And none taken!!!

And if you read MY post again you can see I was confirming what you said.

[quote name='Tinman' post='16892' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:19 PM']MACKEMS? Darken not this forum with your filthy utterings! I will have no further mention of those foul creatures. Also speak not of smoggies or monkey hangers.

Aye-ye can tell ee's a forriner! Having said that, I played in Morpeth recently, and one of the punters said" Oh, South Shields, you'll be a mackem then?" He gets out of hospital next month! :huh: