Why become a member? ×

Help/advice/support group...

LukeFRC

Right.
I have an old body from a vox standard bass. (Pbass style pickup rout) Its a lovely heavy lump of wood and it seems a waste to have it just sitting under the bed so tinking of starting a wee project.
I'm thinking of making a fretless as i dont have one and have never played one.
So first thing i need is a neck.
Oh and I have very little money so need to do this on the cheap.
either a fretless or a cheap fretted one that i can take the frets out of. (i'm reasonably handy with the ol' woodwork so should be safe!)

One of my local musicshops has an un-badged p bass style neck, a few dings, broken nut, dry patches on the rosewood, japanese '85. Feels really good. It says £50 is this reasonable how much are these things worth? I dont want to go spend more money than i need!

If the neck comes with hardware then £50 probably isn't too bad, though how the guy knows it's a japanese '85 if he doesn't know the brand is beyond me. Stamps on the heel?

I might be more inclined to pick up one of the cheap squiers that go on ebay for less than £50 pretty regularly, and then sell off the parts that are no good to you (like all the electrics :)). A bit of a pig in a poke, but I'd guess you're in the same position with the neck you're looking at.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='149682' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:19 AM']yeah it says on the heel. it sans hardware too. im tempted to take my body allong, see if it fits and then try and talk them down.[/quote]
£50 seems pretty high when you can get an entire new P-type bass for £70 off ebay, or a new maple board P-bass neck from Soundwood for £75 or so. Westfield necks seem to crop up every now and again on ebay and they're worth looking at.

Maybe look at something like this, you can always sell it on if it's not your bag or get it re-fretted :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/yamaha-rbx-270-fretless-bass_W0QQitemZ130202436569QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/yamaha-rbx-270-fretl...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]