Why become a member? ×

Considering rackmounted fx; advice needed!

Forcemaster

I'm considering making the switch from the mass of pedals at my feet to a lovely neat rackmounted setup with a midi foot controller or something similar. Hwowever, I seem to be at a bit of a loss in finding the sort've unit i'm looking for.

I'm looking for a rackmounted multi-effects processor that has all the common effects integrated, chorus, flange, delay etc. with possibly a built in compressor and noise supressor. All with a budget of around £300, used is certainly an option.

I did look at the line 6 bass POD, but I fear that all the preamp models would go to waste due to my GK rig giving me all the tone I need. I've also heard things about the Lexicon Mxp G2 and the Boss VF1 but they both seem to be guitar orientated units and I can't attest to how they handle the thunderous low end of the bass.

Can anyone offer me some guidance here?

I saw a TC Electronic G Major on ebay the other day for 250 quid. I have the big brother the GForce and can tell you that both units are a pair of some of the best gigging multiFX on the market. The GMajor is slightly more guitar orientated, but both offer a full studio quality pile of effects, with NO loss of bottom or top end, NO delay between patch changes and are TRANSPARENT in sound.

I strongly recommend them for pur multiFX alone. Hell, if the GForce was good enough for Vai for years, until the G System came out, then they're good enough for me!

I have had mine a while now and it has never let me down. It would take me a week to describe what you can do with it as there is very little it cant do ;o)

Sadly the MPX G2 by Lexicon isn't made any more.. they were rather good too.

[quote name='Forcemaster' post='152110' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:38 PM']Thanks for the advice everyone. Has really helped.

Though now to choose a midi board!

Many people seem to use the behringer one, but i'm a bit (read: hugely) concerned about behringers lack of reliability with other products, any advice?[/quote]

My good friends, and now band mates have taken the Behrngers round the world on tour with them. Some bits had fallen off, but they still work lol!!

Take a look at the Roland FC200, The Rocktron errr.. thingy majig.. I think Rolls as a company still mate controllers, such as the MidiMate/Buddy - If you can find one, the ART Ultrafoot X-15 is excellent.. the newer black model, as opposed to the pink and gret 80's colour scheme one!

If you go for the TC G System, it comes as a floor unit that can be seperated into foot controller and rack unit. My guitarist has one, its great! Check out the videos for it on the TC website. Saves having to buy a seperate unit.. but then, the whole thing is a bit more expensive!!!

I use the Roland FC200 - had it for years and it wont break! ;o)

[quote name='Forcemaster' post='152110' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:38 PM']Thanks for the advice everyone. Has really helped.

Though now to choose a midi board![/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' post='152160' date='Mar 6 2008, 07:20 AM']Good advice Dood..... I find the Behringer equipment a bit too noisy.... much as Alesis rack FX..... Can't go wrong with TCE also check out Lexicon for some lush fx..[/quote]

No worries if it's only a MIDI board though, there'll be none of that magical Behringer hiss in his signal path.... which is more than I can say for some of the Behringer stuff I've got at home :)

My TC and Roland FC200 will be at the Bass Bash at the end of March. I'm also gonna ask my Guitarist if I can take his new G System for a spin at some point, as it does look rather enticing!!

Dan

[quote name='dood' post='153910' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:11 PM']My TC and Roland FC200 will be at the Bass Bash at the end of March. I'm also gonna ask my Guitarist if I can take his new G System for a spin at some point, as it does look rather enticing!!

Dan[/quote]

Excellent, i'll be there at some point.

Would that guitarist be Pin of Sikth? His girlfriend recently jammed with my band ([url="http://www.myspace.com/overturemusicuk"]Overture[/url]) and it's looking like she'll be joining pretty shortly. Small world!

[quote name='Forcemaster' post='155597' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:02 PM']Excellent, i'll be there at some point.

Would that guitarist be Pin of Sikth? His girlfriend recently jammed with my band ([url="http://www.myspace.com/overturemusicuk"]Overture[/url]) and it's looking like she'll be joining pretty shortly. Small world![/quote]

HA HA!!! small world, yep ma good mate Pin! That's cool! She's a wicked guitarist too!

[quote name='dood' post='155616' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:40 PM']HA HA!!! small world, yep ma good mate Pin! That's cool! She's a wicked guitarist too![/quote]

That she is! I also met Jamie at a Biomechanical show once too, great guy and guitarist! Can't wait to hear what you lot come up with!

If you'll just be wanting to do straight up/down patch number changes with the foot controller, how about [url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/32742/"]Tech 21's MIDI Mouse[/url]? It's stomp box sized, does the job perfectly, can be picked up for peanuts on evilBay.

[quote name='Rich' post='155717' date='Mar 12 2008, 07:34 AM']If you'll just be wanting to do straight up/down patch number changes with the foot controller, how about [url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/32742/"]Tech 21's MIDI Mouse[/url]? It's stomp box sized, does the job perfectly, can be picked up for peanuts on evilBay.[/quote]

Cheers. looks very interesting. Hopefully i'll give Doods system a spin at the bass bash (if he has no objections) and see how it all works and how I plan on using it.