Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand on stage?

Jamesemt

Just thinking about this (being in a new band, and all :huh: )

We've got a keyboard player and planning on two guitarists as well as the singer.

So, bass one side of the drums/keyboard on the other? Which side is best for playing in time ;) :)

Am I best sticking close to the high-hat? I do try and focus on the kick-drum...

In my function band I am on the right of the drummer - ride cymbal side, coz it balances us out with our singers and guitarist.

In my originals band I go on the left of the drummer, by the hi-hat.

Makes b*gger all difference to me which side I go on thesedays though, I used to feel more at home on the right but have gotten used to being on the left recently. I run all over the shop anyway :)

I like to be stage right, or on the left as the punters look at the band.

I can then pretend to be looking at my bandmates while I'm actually checking that the fingers on my left hand are going where they're supposed to be.

Can't imagine standing on the other side.

Mark

I go stage right with the covers band, not out of preference or anything but it's just the way things were when I joined the band.

The disadvantage for the singer is that the head of the bass gets stuck in his right ear when we play the smaller-staged places - but not now, with the newly acquired headless 5-string! Ooh, he will be pleased...

The occasional keyboard player goes to the right of me, because she has to come and go on and off the stage.

I also go stage right with the acoustic duo - it was the most convenient way round at the open mic night we started at, so we've stayed that way round.

I go stage left with the barn dance band. Dulcimer player who also works the PA goes stage right with the PA, melodeon player in the middle, guitarist wherever he can find a slot.

I used to stand stage right for purposes of keeping time with hi hats, but recently I've been standing stage left for the same reasons as Phaedrus above - it's easier to check your playing as well and make eye contact with the rest of the band.

In my old 4-piece punk band it was basically a diamond shape, with the frontman slightly offset to one side and the drummer the same. Me and the other guitarist were in line slightly behind the front man.

I always ended up on stage left (on the right looking at the stage) for some reason. A lot of places we played gigs at had their own bass amps/DI set up and it always seemed to be on the left. I'm not fussed where I stand. One gig I was in the middle (as though I was the front man) and the singer was on my right, other guitarist on my left (all lined up, small stage)! Now that was weird!

The only time I have eye contact is with the guitarist, when (in increasing order of probability) he makes a cock-up, I make a cock-up, or the singer makes a cock-up. I tend to use my ears to hear the drums...

Always stage right (bass drum side)!

Virtually all of the big rock guys (Billy Sheehan, Michael Anthony, Chuck Wright, Rudy Sarzo, whoever is in Whitesnake this year, etc) stand stage right (assuming right sided drummer) with good reason – you can hear / feel the bass drum right up your backside regardless of how the loud the guitar player is, how bad the monitors are, etc…

Edited by peteb

I've been with my guitarist & drummer so many years we become extreeeeeemly disorientated if we do other than

Guitarist stage [s]right[/s] left
Drummer
Me stage [s]left[/s] right
and when we have keys or second guitar they are over my side.

I just find it easier to be looking down the neck towards the drummer.

Edited by WalMan