Why become a member? ×

Love the P Bass Sound - Hate the neck width

Perry

[quote name='Perry' post='150436' date='Mar 3 2008, 04:15 PM']I want to get a P Bass, I like the sound of them but when I tried them out I just could not get used to the thicker neck.

Any suggestions guys?[/quote]

Do you mean neck width? If so, there are some 70's Fender Ps that were made with jazz necks as does the Squier P-bass Special. Also the Mexico P Special. The Aerodyne Jazz has a jazz neck and a P pick-up. The Fender experts will chime in soon. Then of course there is the Lakland Duck Dunn which is a P with a jazz neck.

Edited by obbm

Something different :)
My favourite bass at the moment is my 'new' japanese mustang, which I got for £300 secondhand. I'm not sure everyone will like the 30" scale as much as I do, but that and the narrow (jazz-like) neck width make it especially comfy to play. The neck is much nicer in profile than my 90s Squier musicmaster or my 71 US Musicmaster. Despite its cute appearance it has a very beefy precision-like sound as well.

[quote name='obbm' post='150446' date='Mar 3 2008, 04:21 PM']Do you mean neck width? If so, there are some 70's Fender Ps that were made with jazz necks as does the Squier P-bass Special. Also the Mexico P Special. The Aerodyne Jazz has a jazz neck and a P pick-up. The Fender experts will chime in soon. Then of course there is the Lakland Duck Dunn which is a P with a jazz neck.[/quote]

Beat me to it! lol - I was just gonna say my 70's CIJ has an 'A' neck that is so close to my Jazz Bass Special's neck it is almost indestinguishable. - I 'm not a massive fan of big chuknky necks either.. but I'd got it into my head that they sounded better/fatter/fuller... Though I can not quanitfy that with any fact I'm afraid, as they just hang on my wall looking pretty :wub:

[quote name='Perry' post='150436' date='Mar 3 2008, 04:15 PM']I want to get a P Bass, I like the sound of them but when I tried them out I just could not get used to the thicker neck.

That's the reason I bought my Aerodyne, plus the fact that I prefer the look of a Jazz

[quote name='paul, the' post='150532' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:14 PM']I have a Precision Special because I was in this situation: Love the P Bass Sound - Hate the neck width.

I love it. It's got a j-pup at the bridge for a little extra versatility too.[/quote]

when you a special do you mean one of these ?

[quote name='dood' post='150493' date='Mar 3 2008, 05:18 PM']I 'm not a massive fan of big chuknky necks either.. but I'd got it into my head that they sounded better/fatter/fuller... Though I can not quanitfy that with any fact I'm afraid[/quote]
Me neither, but there might be summat in it.

I'd recommend a Jazz with a series / parallel (S-1) switch and a bifton set of Wizard 84's. But I have to say that 'cos I spent the first 2 months council tax, er I mean my hard earned cash on the upgrades. :)

Nice GB, Ferret

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='ahpook' post='150566' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:52 PM']when you a special do you mean one of these ?

[/quote]

It's not the tele style Here's mine:

Although I might be moving her on as I could be moving away soon. :) .

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='johnnylager' post='150579' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:04 PM']Nice GB, Ferret[/quote]
Thanks Jonny. The beauty of a custom build is you dont have to accept the P/J dichotomy. Mine is in-between; thicker than a pencil, thinner than a log.

Usual caveat - there are other builders.

If you don't mind a bit of flame maple and binding, Fender also do an [url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0254507570"]Aerodyne Precision[/url] to go along with the Jazz.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='150639' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:37 PM']As Johhnylager mentioned, the MIA Jazz with S-1 series/parallel switching is very good & the P-bass effect you get with the pickups in series mode is quite astounding.[/quote]

I have a MIA Deluxe, would that do?

Im the same. couldn't get on with my 1.625" P neck on my HW-One P. Swapped it for my Jazz neck and it felt much better.

I now have a Lakland Duck Dun. P with a Jazz neck. And the neck is fantastic.

I love the fat necks on Precisions and am still gutted that my favourite sound- and looks-wise ('75 maple board/3t burst) has a 1.5" nut. I very nearly spent £400 on a '75 B width neck for it but held off to see if I could get used to the slim neck. Still haven't done it and wish I'd bought that neck. Anyone out there with a fat necked '70's Precision maple/burst wanna swap for my thin-necked version give me a shout
Chris