Why become a member? ×

Odd finger harmonics with new pickup?

Jamesemt

I bought a Wizard Thumper in January for my MIJ P as the standard pickup sounded a bit wooly low down.

I am very pleased with the sound when the tone is off, but when I try and brighten up the sound, I get loads of finger harmonics with my picking hand. Is this just bad technique, or is it a consequence of a high power, overwound pickup?

It may be that yout tone pot and capacitor don't suit the Thumper (I'm assuming it's a standard passive here).

If the pot is a 500k then a 250k may help, also a larger value capacitor i.e. 0.047 microfarad as opposed to 0.022.

This may tone it down a bit.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='150905' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:23 AM']It may be that yout tone pot and capacitor don't suit the Thumper (I'm assuming it's a standard passive here).

If the pot is a 500k then a 250k may help, also a larger value capacitor i.e. 0.047 microfarad as opposed to 0.022.

This may tone it down a bit.

Peter[/quote]

Cheers, how do I know which I have? Bass in question is a Fender CIJ Precision 62 reissue 105-dmc

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='150908' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:26 AM']Cheers, how do I know which I have? Bass in question is a Fender CIJ Precision 62 reissue 105-dmc[/quote]

Open yer bass up and have a looksee.

The pots will have values marked on the back of the cans (in kilo Ohms)
The Capacitor will also have a value (in microFarads) marked on it

If you do replace the pots, make sure you use a Logarithmic (Audio Taper) pot for Volume controls.
As for tone controls (passive), the jury's out with regard to the use of Logarithmic vs. Linear potentiometers. Try both, and see what you like. None of these components are very costly...