Why become a member? ×

Neckdive - temporary solution

fatboyslimfast

Right, I was having a bit of issue with my Squier P neckdiving. It's probably a combination of the lightish body, the cheapy nylon strap I'm using, and the work shirt I'm wearing (it's my lunchtime practice time!).

Rather than go and spend £20 on a new strap to see if it would cure it, I invented a quick, cheap and effective solution. Even if it does look a bit pants.

I got hold of one of those fabric/foam mousemats that normally cost less than a quid from a supermarket, cut a 3" strip from it and cut two slots 1" from the top and bottom, big enough to slot the strap through, but far away from the edge of the strip so it doesn't tear.

Result: Slightly odd look, but no neckdive and costs peanuts. Enough left on the original mat for another too...

Edited by fatboyslimfast

[quote name='Norris' post='1312579' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:03 PM']Alternatively, tie a piece of string to your bridge strap button, then around your foot :)[/quote]

Or tie a bit of string to the headstock and the other end to your left ear (or right ear if your lefthanded).

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1312469' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:42 AM']Right, I was having a bit of issue with my Squier P neckdiving. It's probably a combination of the lightish body, the cheapy nylon strap I'm using, and the work shirt I'm wearing (it's my lunchtime practice time!).

Rather than go and spend £20 on a new strap to see if it would cure it, I invented a quick, cheap and effective solution. Even if it does look a bit pants.

I got hold of one of those fabric/foam mousemats that normally cost less than a quid from a supermarket, cut a 3" strip from it and cut two slots 1" from the top and bottom, big enough to slot the strap through, but far away from the edge of the strip so it doesn't tear.

Result: Slightly odd look, but no neckdive and costs peanuts. Enough left on the original mat for another too...

[/quote]

If you want a more permanent solution then get a leather strap. It does basically the same thing. They can be bought for cheaper than £20.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1312469' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:42 AM']Right, I was having a bit of issue with my Squier P neckdiving. It's probably a combination of the lightish body, the cheapy nylon strap I'm using, and the work shirt I'm wearing (it's my lunchtime practice time!).

[/quote]

resourceful, I give you that :)

personally, I don't like straps that don't slide for a bass that neck dives: it just means my shirt goes along with it. Maybe I should wear a suit. Neoprene would work :)