Why become a member? ×

Dave Pegg, Jethro Tull - What type of bass?

merello

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1313382' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:09 PM']I don't know what the bass is but it's great to see Jethro anytime. Ace.[/quote]
Seconded, as a pretty poor flautist (Although no classical training) Ian Anderson is my god, I'd love to be able to do what he does.

Loving some of the bass parts as well.

Edited by Ross
  • Thanks 1

Looks like he's using an Ibanez of some sort in that clip.
Peggy has used loads of different basses over the years - Fenders, Riverhead, custom headless models made by Mike Vanden & lots of others. last time I saw Fairport he was using an Ibanez but he does use Crafter basses now apparently.
A superb player, one of the best IMO.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1313722' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:29 PM']There was an ebay link on here a while back in which he sold a re-finned 62 Fender P (with added J) - went for £7,000. Was his standard bass in the 70s IIRC[/quote]

As I recall, it was his son who was the seller and the bass had been autographed by Leo Fender when Fairport visited the factory sometime in the 70's?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1313720' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:28 PM']Looks like he's using an Ibanez of some sort in that clip.
Peggy has used loads of different basses over the years - Fenders, Riverhead, custom headless models made by Mike Vanden & lots of others. last time I saw Fairport he was using an Ibanez but he does use Crafter basses now apparently.
A superb player, one of the best IMO.[/quote]

Doesn't that rather suggest that our choice of bass doesn't really matter? A good player will get a good sound out of almost anything.

• 6 years later...

I've got one of Dave Pegg's old Ibanezes. It is one of two, slightly different models, that he used on tour in the US with the Tull.
Part way through the tour Mr Anderson added a song to the tour set that required a fretless so Dave got Ibanez to quickly de-fret one of them, that's the one I now have.
Mine is an SR05 and is a Dark Midnight Blue Flake with unusual "stalk" type bridge saddles, whereas the one in the video is a lighter Metallic Blue and has a conventional style bridge (Gotoh?) possibly an SR885.

Cue my favourite story regarding the esteemed Mr Pegg......

In the distant past I read an interview with him in (I think) Bass guitar magazine, where he said that he was now sponsored by.............

WADSWORTH SIX X

To hell with all that getting free gear ...free beer is the way to go :gas:

• Like 1

[quote name='Ross' timestamp='1311415330' post='1313629']
Seconded, as a pretty poor flautist (Although no classical training) Ian Anderson is my god, I'd love to be able to do what he does.

Loving some of the bass parts as well.
[/quote]

Aye. Anderson was entirely self taught on the flute. He was trading a Strat for a mic, in a music shop, and there was cash left in the trade so he took the flute.

Decades later his daughter was learning flute with a teacher and pointed out the fingering Ian was using was all wrong, so he re learned the technique. Didnt stop him coming up with all that great music in the 60s 70s 80s though. The legend is that the Strat originally belonged to Lemmy.