Why become a member? ×

After almost 30 years, I've just realised why I took up bass.....

Beedster

I was listening to Radio 2 the other night and I caught the end of a track. It had an awesome bass line which sent a really strong message from my memory banks to my spine. In fact, it was like I was hearing bass for the first time. Simple line, but strong and magical.
Anyway, bloody DJ didn't say what it was so I thought and thought and played the bassline in my head a few hundred times.
Then it came to me after I had hummed the tune a few times. 'The Night': Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
Straight donw the record shop, back home, just been playing it, and I now am pretty sure where my love of bass came from, it was that track. In fact, the feel of that track has dominated everything I've ever tried to play on bass without me really realising it. I was a g**tarist at the time, but I remember hearing that track and thinking "man, the bass is EVERYTHING in that song". Pretty soon after, I had a bass. Probably explains my Precision thing also (although I'm pretty sure someone's gonna tell me it's a Jazz :)). If you haven't heard that line, get a listen, really simple, but just pure bass sex :huh:
C

"December 63 (Oh What a Night)" by the Four Seasons was the song for me...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyiT_DGREA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyiT_DGREA[/url]

other stuff had tickled my bass buds before but that bouncy line just did it...

mind you, I did have a spell playing bass in a punk band just hammering out whatever notes I was told to play... but the pure bouncy line has always cast a spell over me...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='151368' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:52 PM']"December 63 (Oh What a Night)" by the Four Seasons was the song for me...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyiT_DGREA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyiT_DGREA[/url]

mind you, I did have a spell playing bass in a punk band just hammering out whatever notes I was told to play... but the pure bouncy line has always cast a spell over me...[/quote]

Agreed, I think '63 was where I learned ghost notes; not how to play them, but just the idea that they existed :)
Anyone know who the dude on bass was....?
As far as Frankie Valli and basslines were concerned, there was clearly something about songs with the word 'night' in the title......
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='151354' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:34 PM']Then it came to me after I had hummed the tune a few times. 'The Night': Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
Straight donw the record shop, back home, just been playing it, and I now am pretty sure where my love of bass came from, it was that track. In fact, the feel of that track has dominated everything I've ever tried to play on bass without me really realising it.
C[/quote]

Top tune, one of my all time favourites too.
You obviously have impeccable taste

[quote name='Beedster' post='151354' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:34 PM']I was listening to Radio 2 the other night and I caught the end of a track. It had an awesome bass line which sent a really strong message from my memory banks to my spine. In fact, it was like I was hearing bass for the first time. Simple line, but strong and magical.
Anyway, bloody DJ didn't say what it was so I thought and thought and played the bassline in my head a few hundred times.
Then it came to me after I had hummed the tune a few times. 'The Night': Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
Straight donw the record shop, back home, just been playing it, and I now am pretty sure where my love of bass came from, it was that track. In fact, the feel of that track has dominated everything I've ever tried to play on bass without me really realising it. I was a g**tarist at the time, but I remember hearing that track and thinking "man, the bass is EVERYTHING in that song". Pretty soon after, I had a bass. Probably explains my Precision thing also (although I'm pretty sure someone's gonna tell me it's a Jazz :)). If you haven't heard that line, get a listen, really simple, but just pure bass sex :huh:
C[/quote]
Great song Chris, though tbh, I don't remember the bassline.. so will go and check it out now!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='151380' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:13 PM']Great song Chris, though tbh, I don't remember the bassline.. so will go and check it out now![/quote]

Check it out Nik, but loud :) I defy you not to play air bass in the bridge....

[quote name='finnbass' post='151360' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:40 PM']SNAP!

If I had all the money back from playing Frankie Valli in juke boxes over the years I'd be able to retire three weeks early.[/quote]

I'd no doubt be a much better bassist had I done the same :)

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='151368' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:52 PM']"December 63 (Oh What a Night)" by the Four Seasons was the song for me...

mind you, I did have a spell playing bass in a punk band just hammering out whatever notes I was told to play... but the pure bouncy line has always cast a spell over me...[/quote]
SNAP :)

Feeling that, usually play that tune at weddings, lotsa fun!

I remember hearing the song thought even before I'd picked up an instrument and loving it! :)

One day I'll be able to grow a beard like you Chris! :huh:

Si