Why become a member? ×

CRASH: bass in free-fall

2wheeler

Aaargh. My Hercules (wood base) wall-mounted hanger fell out of the wall this morning and my best bass is now cosmetically impaired, not to mention the table that broke its fall.

:)

I was a bit concerned about the cheap and cheerful mounting screws and wall plugs that came with the Hercules kit when I put it up but one of my work colleagues said "oh, plaster board is a lot stronger than you think". Easy for him to say.

1. The bass plays perfectly well. Do you think it's worth trying to tart it up again or is the damage just part of the "vintage process", to be proudly kept as battle-scars?
2. I am off to B&Q later to see what better fixings I can get. Does anyone know what I should be using?
3. Should I use the existing holes or fill them and mount the hanger somewhere else on the wall?

Many thanks,

Nick

1. That's up to you. How much does the damage bother you?
2. Wood screws in conjunction with point 3 below.
3. I think you should be finding the posts in the wall and screwing into that. Screw + wood is a lot more secure than screw + stupid plug thing + plasterboard.

[quote name='neepheid' post='151571' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:26 AM']3. I think you should be finding the posts in the wall and screwing into that. Screw + wood is a lot more secure than screw + stupid plug thing + plasterboard.[/quote]
Absolutely. Use yer [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwang"]noggins[/url] or studs. And glare at your work colleague from time to time to keep him on his toes.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='151576' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:39 AM']Absolutely. Use yer [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwang"]noggins[/url] or studs. And glare at your work colleague from time to time to keep him on his toes.[/quote]

I'd milk it a bit if I were you. Clutch a tearstained photograph of the damage to your heart and sob silently from time to time. When other colleagues look concerned, bravely brush aside a tear and mumble. "it's ok. Really."

[quote name='johnnylager' post='151576' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:39 AM']Absolutely. Use yer [b]noggins[/b] or studs. And glare at your work colleague from time to time to keep him on his toes.[/quote]

That's the word I was trying to remember. I say dwang, but I thought that I'd get a blank face at that.

My deepest condolences.
Upon reading this I've visited my spare bedroom to check the fixings on my 4 hercules hangings (into plasterboard too!). Phew - all safe.

I concede that I threw the supplied fixings straight in the bin. My plasterboard walls have trouble holding a showerrail so i wasn't about to risk my most nearest and dearest 4 string friends.

I used a combination of these things. The trouble is that the Hercules (or any other hanger) have the screws so close together so there's a danger that if you use 2x of something too industrial that the 3cm between them will take all the pressure and it will pull a 5cm rectangle straight out of the wall when it falls. I've used 1x industrial fixing, and 1x nice long screw with decent rawlplug (again, not the supplied ones)

[url="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=Rawlplug+Interset+41605&selected=products"]http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?...lected=products[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' post='151622' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:01 PM']Use [url="http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38860/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Fischer-Spring-Toggle-5x50"]toggle fixings[/url] for plasterboard if you're putting any weight on it. They spread the load well.[/quote]

I know what you mean but i've had problems with these as you can't tell if the toggle has flipped open properly, partic if a bit of broken plasterboard gets stuck in it.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='151576' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:39 AM']And glare at your work colleague from time to time to keep him on his toes.[/quote]

Interestingly this gentleman is a campanologist. I wonder if he ever has a bell come down and wipe out a few members of the team? :)

Thanks for all the rest of the comments. I will search for a good noggin and if I can't find one close enough to where I need the bracket, I will get some good quality plasterboard fixings...

Another way to do it, especially if you hang more than one bass, would be to screw a horizontal wooden batten across the wall. Screw the battern into the wooden noggins inside the wall (or use heavy duty fixings). Once the batten is securely fixed you can screw the bass hangers into the wood of the batten, without using plugs of any sort.

It's not so pretty, but it is very efficient. You can use big screws/heavy duty fixings for the batten and you don't have to worry about screwing into plasterboard two holes that are very close together etc.

And if the batten is too long it's always an excuse to buy a new bass to fill the empty space.