Why become a member? ×

Bass Players You Can Spot A Mile Off......

Billy Sheehan.. that middly compressed tone is a signature sound, no doubt..

Actually, I doubt myself now. If you listen to Paul Gilbert's 'Get Out Of My Yard' - the bass is very much the Sheehan-esque tone, but bass duties were taken up by the equally dextrous Mike Szuter.

Mick Karn- the fretless tone, attack and the way he does slides.

a funny aside-
on Derek Forbes' new band Four Good Men's forum, there was a discussion of the current Simple Minds
album-
I remarked that Eddie Duffy's bassline on "stay visible" sounded a lot like Derek-
he replied-"if it sounds like me, that's because it IS me!" - he played on a couple of tracks, only they didn't credit him.
-it's the way he plays with a pick- rhythmically busy with lots of dead notes.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='SJA' post='151640' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:25 PM']Mick Karn- the fretless tone, attack and the way he does slides.

a funny aside-
on Derek Forbes' new band Four Good Men's forum, there was a discussion of the current Simple Minds
album-
I remarked that Eddie Duffy's bassline on "stay visible" sounded a lot like Derek-
he replied-"if it sounds like me, that's because it IS me!" - he played on a couple of tracks, only they didn't credit him.
-it's the way he plays with a pick- rhythmically busy with lots of dead notes.[/quote]

I was going to say Mick Karn but I mention him all the time so I didn't!...some of the mid -eighties Pino stuff sounds a lot like MK.

Are Derek Forbe's new outfit any good?...i love that early simple minds stuff

Steve Swallow, Jaco, Anthony Jackson, Jeff Berlin, Percy Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Charlie Haden, Steve Swallow, Paul Chambers, Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, Ron Carter, Marc Johnson, John Patitucci, Chris Squire and Steve Swallow.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='151713' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:48 PM']Are Derek Forbe's new outfit any good?...i love that early simple minds stuff[/quote]
it's mainly Minds and Big Country covers, but they're working on new material too-
[url="http://www.fourgoodmen.com"]http://www.fourgoodmen.com[/url]

[quote name='josh3184' post='151820' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:11 PM']I KNEW IT. Thought a bassist that good couldnt be in a band that ass...[/quote]
-it's "pretty little ditty" (on Mother's milk) sampled for Butterfly.

It's sometimes difficult to separate the band from the bassist, so I might think I'm recognising the bassist when I'm recognising the band. I think this list has to be about session players, and Pino has already been mentioned... TLev is the only other example I can think of.
Edit: oh yes: Eberhard Weber too.

Edited by bnt

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='151944' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:01 PM']But would you have guessed he was playing on "If I Was" by Midge Ure if you didn't already know?[/quote]

I haven't actually heard the original of that, only the version that was played at the 1987 Princes Trust Gala by...

...mmm, Mark King of all people.

A few spring to mind, some more well known than others:

Robbie Shakespeare (Sly & Robbie)
James Jamerson
McCartney
John Entwhistle
Leigh Gorman (BowWowWow)
Justin Chancellor
Dennis Dunnaway (Alice Cooper)

The guy from Muse is pretty distictive too and that guy who plays solo and does loads of super-fast slapping on a MusicMan SR4 who's name I can't remember for the life of me..

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='152086' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:44 PM']I haven't actually heard the original of that, only the version that was played at the 1987 Princes Trust Gala by...

...mmm, Mark King of all people.[/quote]
Aah...so it sort of gave the game away then!

I also remember hearing a track called "Easy" by Nik Kershaw many years ago, and knowing instantly it was Mark King. It was all slapping, so it was a lot more obvious.