Why become a member? ×

Shop vs Internet thoughts

Tee

I was just wondering, specifically on more expensive basses, say £500 upwards, if you're willing to spend more to be able to test out a bass in a shop (and walk away with it), or save, by purchasing blind (a possible gamble) over the internet.

Personally i don't mind spending a little more, to be able to test it etc. What are your preferences/thoughts? And how much more would you be prepared to pay over net prices.

Edit: hmm, i thought i was in the General Bass discussion. Perhaps it's more suited there mods. Sorry. :blush:

Edited by Tee

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='151650' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:47 PM']Cheapest, wherever it is.[/quote]

Depends on the brand. I'd happily buy a Warwick online for example, as I've found their QC and consistency to be excellent. Some brands seem to vary too much in quality for my liking and I'd probably pay more for one of these to try before I buy, rather than get it blind off the net . Then again, with the way the £'s been against the $ it's very tempting to get something sent from the states.

Definitely depends on what it is. Some basses you really do need to try out every single one to find the 'one' for you. Others you may be lucky to find a single example here in the UK so you either take it or leave it or buy unseen on the web from abroad.

I recently bought a second hand Tokai Talbo from Ishibashi in Japan. Having played a couple in Japan before I knew what to expect and Ishibashi's service was top-notch. Plus it couldn't possibly have been worse than the poor example languishing in Denmark Street...

I now only buy from:

1) Private sales
2) The Bass Gallery (hi Alex!)
3) Jam Guitars of Bristol (hi Nick!)
4) Soundslive Newcastle (hi Mark!)
5) Bass direct (Hi Mark!!)

I know and trust each of these four companies, and between them they can usually be competative on price [i]and[/i] between them they can get me anything that I want to buy new. I get anything I want to buy used from forums like this.

Edited by Toasted

I'd much rather buy in stores if possible, even if it costs extra. The only time I'd make an exception is for real budget stuff (under £150) where its worth a gamble. For example, I'd rather spend £700 in store than £600 online. There's a number of reasons for this. Firstly, QC - i like to play the exact bass I'll be taking home and I find quality can vary across all brands. Secondly, the desire to support retailers. I like music shops, I'd like them to keep trading. I demonstrate this by putting my money where my mouth is and purchasing from them! Thirdly, I like the personal touch. Its nice to be able to take something back to a shop if there's an issue. Fourthly, £100 really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things!

Its strange really, a lot of people are very specific about the origins of products (buying fair trade coffee, avoiding using supermarkets if they can by the produce from a local independent store) but will happily use a music shop to try and then opurchase online seperately. I can understan why, but as I say, its not really my thing. As long as these people don't complain when a music shop shuts down, then I'm not really bothered either way.

Sanctimonious?? Me??

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='151726' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:57 PM']I'd much rather buy in stores if possible, even if it costs extra. The only time I'd make an exception is for real budget stuff (under £150) where its worth a gamble. For example, I'd rather spend £700 in store than £600 online. There's a number of reasons for this. Firstly, QC - i like to play the exact bass I'll be taking home and I find quality can vary across all brands. Secondly, the desire to support retailers. I like music shops, I'd like them to keep trading. I demonstrate this by putting my money where my mouth is and purchasing from them! Thirdly, I like the personal touch. Its nice to be able to take something back to a shop if there's an issue. Fourthly, £100 really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things!

Its strange really, a lot of people are very specific about the origins of products (buying fair trade coffee, avoiding using supermarkets if they can by the produce from a local independent store) but will happily use a music shop to try and then opurchase online seperately. I can understan why, but as I say, its not really my thing. As long as these people don't complain when a music shop shuts down, then I'm not really bothered either way.

Sanctimonious?? Me??[/quote]

Big +1 here ,
For things like fx and stands etc I'd go online more often than not but for instruments It's great to try the actual instrument before you part company with your hard earned and I like to go into a shop and look around at what's new and used and if there are any S/H bargains to be found .

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='151726' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:57 PM']As long as these people don't complain when a music shop shuts down, then I'm not really bothered either way.[/quote]

That strikes a chord - our nearest music shop has just announced that it's closing afer 35 years, quoting internet competition as the main cause. It never really had any bass stuff, but had a lot of sheet music and tutor books which my wife (piano/Sax teacher) used to buy regularly, along with sax reeds etc, and guitar strings for my daughter. Also used to give her a 10% discount as a teacher.

So now its a drive to Northampton (18 miles) and trying to find a sensible parking place etc etc, or resort to the net ourselves and thus accelerate the next shop closure!

As they say, 'use it or loose it' - it's not just a cliche.

Clive.

The shop prices in Dublin are just too high to justify---and despite the claim that you get after sales service etc to cover higher price in reality you dont. Ive bought thru private ads either over here or on Basschat without any problems. I think most popular makes such as Musicman,Warwick etc have a very high quality standard and you wont go far wrong ordering blind--however Fender sometimes vary greatly.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='151726' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:57 PM']I'd much rather buy in stores if possible, even if it costs extra. The only time I'd make an exception is for real budget stuff (under £150) where its worth a gamble. For example, I'd rather spend £700 in store than £600 online. There's a number of reasons for this. Firstly, QC - i like to play the exact bass I'll be taking home and I find quality can vary across all brands. Secondly, the desire to support retailers. I like music shops, I'd like them to keep trading. I demonstrate this by putting my money where my mouth is and purchasing from them! Thirdly, I like the personal touch. Its nice to be able to take something back to a shop if there's an issue. Fourthly, £100 really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things!

Its strange really, a lot of people are very specific about the origins of products (buying fair trade coffee, avoiding using supermarkets if they can by the produce from a local independent store) but will happily use a music shop to try and then opurchase online seperately. I can understan why, but as I say, its not really my thing. As long as these people don't complain when a music shop shuts down, then I'm not really bothered either way.[/quote]
+1
Slightly different, I just bought 4 loudspeakers from Appian Acoustics in Glasgow coz I have dealt with Frank several times and he is a great guy to deal with. I could have saved £30 by buying online, without the personal touch, without the amazing delivery.
For basses, I will always try before I buy if it's a brand new bass, and buy the one I tried! The only case where I couldn't/didn't was getting my Retroactive built for me, but that's a whole different kettle of Nemo.

[quote name='Tee' post='151649' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:45 PM']I was just wondering, specifically on more expensive basses, say £500 upwards, if you're willing to spend more to be able to test out a bass in a shop (and walk away with it), or save, by purchasing blind (a possible gamble) over the internet.

Personally i don't mind spending a little more, to be able to test it etc. What are your preferences/thoughts? And how much more would you be prepared to pay over net prices.

Edit: hmm, i thought i was in the General Bass discussion. Perhaps it's more suited there mods. Sorry. :blush:[/quote]

Maybe slightly OT, but I like to buy from Thomann not because they're cheaper but because of their 3 year guarantee. If my local shop offered that I'd be prepared to pay at least another 10%.

As far as basses goes, I wouldn't buy one without trying it unless it was very cheap.

Sanctimonious?? Me??[/quote]

+1 from me.

Yeah, I know there would be the odd comment reminding me that I have spent too much but it's not easy to put a price on, "Peace Of Mind" There's also a chance of getting a few extras thrown in like leads and stuff.

There is a nice, "Feel Good" factor when buying in shops too.

[quote name='sticker' post='151744' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:22 PM']For things like fx and stands etc I'd go online more often than not but for instruments It's great to try the actual instrument before you part company with your hard earned and I like to go into a shop and look around at what's new and used and if there are any S/H bargains to be found .[/quote]

Kaz bought a Vocalist Live 4 and I've bought as few stands and bits and bobs of late from PMT in Brum, and I've bought a few things including a 5-string Squier P from Sound Control in Brum. Got good prices on them too - the instrument stands were the same price as online, we got the Vocalist Live for about £10 more than total online price, the Squier was a reasonable price. I wouldn't deliberately try in a shop and buy online (except my Variax 300, which actually was from the online department of the bricks-and-mortar shop), though I have on one occasion tried, thought about buying, then seen online a lot cheaper and decided to buy.

In the case of the Vocalist Live, PMT had it set up and were happy to demo it, and got someone in to do the demoing (we didn't see it, unfortunately, apparently it was very impressive). The ticket price was £60 or so over online price but Kaz knew the assistant of old and chatted him up and he gave us a good discount. I'd hate to see that sort of level of customer care be lost.