Why become a member? ×

Connectivity Question

Phaedrus

Hi,

I'd like to run two signals to our PA for live gigs.

I want one signal completely clean and the other my effected tone.

On arrival ov my new amp and my decision to streamline, I'm looking at two options, both illustrated below.

AFAIK, the DI out of the Tour 450 is clean and not affected by the amp's EQ section, gains or (I'm presuming) effects connected to the effects send/return loop.

Hence I reckon that the amp's DI should be my clean signal to the PA, regardless of which of these two connectivity options I choose.

[b]OPTION 1 (Bass -> Hartke VXL -> 1. Tour 450 & 2. PA channel):[/b]

[b]OPTION 2 (Bass -> Tour 450 -> Hartke VXL -> Tour 450 & Tour 450 -> PA channel):[/b]

Anyone got any opinions or comments?

Thanks,

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='151679' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:18 PM']Anyone got any opinions or comments?[/quote]

You have too much spare time on your hands, coming up with all these fancy diagrams :)

The only potential problem I can see is that in option 2 the signal going into the Hartke VXL is a line level signal from the amp's DI and not an instrument level signal from the bass. Will the Hartke be OK with that ? If you're not sure then make sure you keep all the levels low when you first try it out.

Other than that, both options should work, they just might sound a little different, in which case experiment to see which is best.

Yep, too much time.

I had a look at my VXL manual and remembered that its DI out is switchable for pre/post "effect". Basically I can select whether the signal from the VXL's DI out is clean or dirty, whereas that control is absent from the amp's DI out.

So it looks like I'll be using option 1 with the DI out selected as "pre".

As you say, experimenting when I hook it all up will be the way to go.

Mark

Agree with option 1 if you can run a clean signal from the VXL DI even when the effect in the unit itself is on. The second option would rely on the DI on the head being pre effects as you say.

Only comment I would have is that your cab will only be outputting the effected signal in this case, not the clean - does that matter?

Would a blender box/pedal not give the same result?

Steve