Why become a member? ×

If you don't have lights, you should .. buy these

OldGit

Simple things that make you look pro tip number 67: never play without stage lights. Just a simple lights setup will transform how professional you look and how you are perceived by your audience. So .. off to Maplins for four of these at £20 each. That's less than a gigs' money for a pub band ...

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L70AK&C=brilliant1&U=GoogleP3&T=dj%20lights&gclid=CJnvz_a49pECFQweQgodj127wQ"]Maplins cheapo light boxes [/url]

Add some IKEA luggage straps to attach two of them to the top of your speakers on sticks (facing the band to light your singer's face) and position two on the ground shining up the wall behind the drummer. Put them all on one circuit and switch and you can even do a "start and end of set in darkness" lights flourish.

We made our own (and have 6 boxes) but I'd just get these now... leave the flashing off or use it sparingly ...

It will transform your look from this sort of thing: Dark faces at the mercy of the venues ambient lighting (nice fretless acoustic though :) )

to this much more professional look

Sadly it won't make you into Suzanne Vega though...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='152037' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:16 PM']We've got the normal Maplin traffic lights but they flash like mad and there's no switch or control to stop them. Anyone know how to set them to be constantly on please?[/quote]

And you want your drummer to keep playing [i]All[/i] set? He's been tought his whole life that red means stop!

They do tend to flash quite quickly. They're supposed to be "sound to light" but I think the internal mic level is designed for quiet bedroom volume levels so they're almost on all the time at gig levels.

They're certainly better than nothing and cheap at that price - but bear in mind you do need a few of them to get enough brightness. One on it's own is a waste of time.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='152037' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:16 PM']We've got the normal Maplin traffic lights but they flash like mad and there's no switch or control to stop them. Anyone know how to set them to be constantly on please?[/quote]

varying layers of gaffa tape over the mic can slow them down a bit

peace

c

Most of the venues we play have got their own lights so getting something cheap and cheerful like this makes sense. On the other hand if you normally play venues with no lights some i-colour like [url="http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2300"]this[/url] makes more sense than par cans. Most of the bands I see where I go for good beer and live music dont have lights and those that do look loads better even if they dont sound better.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='152121' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:06 AM']Most of the venues we play have got their own lights so getting something cheap and cheerful like this makes sense. On the other hand if you normally play venues with no lights some i-colour like [url="http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2300"]this[/url] makes more sense than par cans. Most of the bands I see where I go for good beer and live music dont have lights and those that do look loads better even if they dont sound better.[/quote]

+1

It's simple but very effective thing. Possibly the most effective, easy and cheap thing a band can do to give a pro impression.

No pro band or pro-minded band would play without lights, or always depend on the venue.
We play loads of places where the hall lights are half a dozen flourescent strip lights on one switch or there are stage lights but they are locked up or the gels (colour filters) are missing ...

I think we have a subject for the BC wiki :)

[quote name='3V17C' post='152106' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:33 PM']varying layers of gaffa tape over the mic can slow them down a bit[/quote]
According to the FAQ on the Maplin website, there's a sensitivity pot on the circuit board. Throw away your gaffa tape!

Very interesting. Watching the videos of our set at the Jazz Cafe, the lack of any real stage lighting makes the whole thing look really boring. (That and collective stage fright)

Sorry - couldn't resist the plug but I think it does illustrate the point about lighting. I never even thought about it before seeing the video.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='152474' date='Mar 6 2008, 04:22 PM']Very interesting. Watching the videos of our set at the Jazz Cafe, the lack of any real stage lighting makes the whole thing look really boring. (That and collective stage fright)

Sorry - couldn't resist the plug but I think it does illustrate the point about lighting. I never even thought about it before seeing the video.[/quote]

Great selection of hats :) Great groove too

Well it's about non-verbal communication ... lip reading to get the lyrics*, eye contact, facial expressions etc...
Just enough light to get all of that, with some nice colours and your audience will like you more :huh:

* Ever see someone who holds the mic right in front of their mouth on telly? We all lip read to a certian extent and when the words are mashed up by volume in a band situation it's even harder ...

Edited by OldGit

I agree with the looking good bit, and as far as LED lanterns, the BIG advantage is no heat. Have played a few gigs with par cans near my head and nearly melted. I invested in a T-bar and 4 LED par cans, each has it's own sound to light and NO HEAT!

Being a complete ignoramus as far as lighting goes, I was wondering - what does "par" (or "PAR") mean, other than what Colin Montgomery goes over and Tiger Woods goes under? Anyone feel like doing a Wiki on the subject?

[quote name='tauzero' post='152876' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:22 AM']Being a complete ignoramus as far as lighting goes, I was wondering - what does "par" (or "PAR") mean, other than what Colin Montgomery goes over and Tiger Woods goes under? Anyone feel like doing a Wiki on the subject?[/quote]

[b]P[/b]arabolic [b]A[/b]luminized [b]R[/b]eflector

[quote name='P-T-P' post='152908' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:18 AM'][b]P[/b]arabolic [b]A[/b]luminized [b]R[/b]eflector[/quote]
Ta. Is the number associated with them, like 64, 36, etc, a dimension then, either area or diameter/radius (or, come to think of it, focal length)?

[quote name='tauzero' post='152876' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:22 AM']Being a complete ignoramus as far as lighting goes, I was wondering - what does "par" (or "PAR") mean, other than what Colin Montgomery goes over and Tiger Woods goes under? Anyone feel like doing a Wiki on the subject?[/quote]

I've started a wiki entry but haven't quite got the Wiki formatting thing sussed so its there at the top level rather than being a "chapter" or whatever wiki speak fo rthat is ....

It also needs input from you knowledgeable lighting people on more sophisticated systems

[quote name='tauzero' post='152928' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:51 AM']Ta. Is the number associated with them, like 64, 36, etc, a dimension then, either area or diameter/radius (or, come to think of it, focal length)?[/quote]

It's the diameter of the housing measured, for some peculiar reason, in eighths of an inch. Ergo a Par 56 is 7 inches, Par 64 is 8 inches etc.

[quote name='OldGit' post='152936' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:58 AM']I've started a wiki entry but haven't quite got the Wiki formatting thing sussed so its there at the top level rather than being a "chapter" or whatever wiki speak fo rthat is ....

It also needs input from you knowledgeable lighting people on more sophisticated systems[/quote]

I wouldn't profess to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but once the Wiki is ready for input I'll add my own research/buying/using experiences.

Somewhere in the world someone should have produced a guide to DMX written in plain English and without making giant assumptions about the reader. If I could have found it, I would have bought differently I'm sure!

[quote name='walbassuk' post='152548' date='Mar 6 2008, 06:57 PM']I agree with the looking good bit, and as far as LED lanterns, the BIG advantage is no heat. Have played a few gigs with par cans near my head and nearly melted. I invested in a T-bar and 4 LED par cans, each has it's own sound to light and NO HEAT![/quote]
I've been looking into just such a set-up for our band - what size par's did you go for (56 or 64?), and how are they performing? I've been a bit wary of LED's as I guess they're not as bright as standard halogen cans?

Your advice would be appreciated :)

Edited by barneythedog

[quote name='barneythedog' post='152975' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:51 AM']I've been looking into just such a set-up for our band - what size par's did you go for (56 or 64?), and how are they performing? I've been a bit wary of LED's as I guess they're not as bright as standard halogen cans?

Your advice would be appreciated :)[/quote]

I know the question is not addressed to me, but our band have just gone from normal Par 56 cans to LEDs. The LEDs definitely aren't as bright and dont seem to have as wide a flood as the traditional types we were using - you can buy lamps for the traditional ones with different flood levels, I'm guessing ours were wider angle.

Our old set-up was two t-bars with 4 x 56 cans on each and a floor controller for each which enabled different chase patterns, all on. all off and a tap tempo.

However, most places we played didn't really have the room for these plus they were a bit of a hassle to set up.

We now have 4 x Par 56 LED cans which we just put on the floor, one for each of us and set them on their auto colour change pattern. It's small and easy to set-up and so we use them at nearly every gig. We also purchased a bunch of lighting effects for use at weddings and functions which consists of two t-bars and a 3m truss which we set-up behind the drummer and backline and from that hang a bunch of room-filling moving lighting effects. The 4 LED cans aren't quite bright enough to compete with the back-lighting but certainly the stage isn't dark and we aren't totally in shadow, however I think I'd like to add another 4 of them at some point and probably stand mount them in front of the band for gigs where we use the "disco" lighting.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='151990' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:57 PM']
I got one of these sets when maplin were doing them for £50. nice & easy to carry as both halves clip toghther and plash in sync.[/quote]

yep mine are similar and also flash in sync with the music (more noise = more flashing).

They make the difference between looking like your're on stage, or practicing in someones front room.

I've got a smoke machine too! :)